Does the wanting of more caliber ever go the other way?

This is a discussion on Does the wanting of more caliber ever go the other way? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For instance, say you have a .380 for primary CCW and say 'Man, I sure would not feel as undergunned than if I had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the wanting of more caliber ever go the other way?

Does the wanting of more caliber ever go the other way?

For instance, say you have a .380 for primary CCW and say 'Man, I sure would not feel as undergunned than if I had a 9mm, or .40, or .45, or whatever...does it ever go the other way?

Like:
    This 10mm sure does pack a wallop, but I sure wish I had a 9mm instead? I'd be able to shoot more, or whatever?

A 9mm is the biggest pistol I have ever shot, and I am considering purchasing one...but I wonder if I should just go ahead and get the .40 or the .45...357 and 10mm I like ,but I don't think I could afford to shoot them.....

2. Remove Ads

It sure does........

I was a die hard 1911 .45ACP fan for years and carried a 1911 as a duty weapon. However the US Army in their infinite wisdom issued me a Beretta 9mm (which I of course hated), but after a few years of using 9mm at work I started to really look at it as a decent caliber if you have the right platform and ammunition.

I still own my 1911's but haven't carried one in over a year, I switched to a Sig 226 in 9mm. It's cheaper to shoot, holds more rounds 17+1 vs. 7+1 and is stupid accurate and reliable.

I use my 1911 as a mold for making holsters now
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Personally, I picked my 9mm because I wanted the ammo to be cheap enough to go to the range often. I figured a well placed 9mm shot is better than an unpracticed shot with a .45. I usually go at least twice a month now. And since my wife enjoys shooting the 9mm as well now, I bet I'll be going even more often.

I have a buddy who only has a .45 ACP Glock and he rarely goes to the range because of ammo costs. When we do go to the range together, you can tell I have shot a lot more and have much better accuracy, even though he has had his gun a few years and I've only had mine for a few months. I bet I have easily shot more rounds than he has.

Anyway, if you can afford to stay proficient with a larger caliber, then go for it. A bit more stopping power is always nice, I guess. For me, however, the 9mm packed plenty of punch and the benefit of being able to shoot regularly for less money has already paid off big time for me.

Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Lew

Size matters....hehehe

"Buy the gun. Use it. In a few months when you can afford another gun...buy it... use it...in a few months when you can afford it, buy another...repeat. Do not sell old guns."

This is my standard advice. Is it good advice? I don't know and never will, it is just what I am doing myself.... I just like all guns.

After a while you will know what is too much gun for you and what gun is too small for carry and is relegated to the plinker collection. What works for one person will not for another. I have really Big hands so ultra high capacity pistols with big fat grips are ok. Some people don't like the recoil of huge calibers like the .454 or even a .44mag. They don't bother me, but my wife doesn't care for them. She really loves the 9mm. I haven't gotten her to shoot the .45 yet, but that will happen this next summer.

It is really subjective. I would think the best thing to do is to find a local range that will rent guns to tryout or try a friends and see if you like it before buying it.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I went from .40 to 9mm because of cost reasons. I've never put much stock in the 1mm bigger bullet being that much more effective argument. I like what is cheap to shoot, what I can shoot well, and what gives me a lot of capacity (so I can keep shooting!).

I know not everyone will agree, but that's what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ppcpilot View Post
    For instance, say you have a .380 for primary CCW and say 'Man, I sure would not feel as undergunned than if I had a 9mm, or .40, or .45, or whatever...does it ever go the other way?
    Yes, of course. Choosing a caliber is sort of like choosing a motorcycle. People who have the big bikes sometimes want a smaller one. Some people have small motorcycles and want larger ones. Simply put, people typically always want a wide variety to work with. There is nothing wrong with that.

You are not undergunned with a .380 in most situations, so don't let that worry you. I encourage people that have the resources to shoot as many weapons as possible so they can gain a better understanding of their likes and dislikes.

I will always have high power weapons, but my favorite weapon to shoot is still my Savage .22 bolt action rifle. Simply put, over time I will have a collection of various weapons and caliber sizes. I know I won't shoot some of them often at all, but it's fun to have the variety when you can get it.

You will find what you like eventually, ppcpilot; until then, don't dwell too much on being undergunned with a handgun of .380 or higher. Your personal tactics will get you out of more hairy situations than the firearm will.

Enjoy the adventure of learning about what suites you best. Some guns will fit like a glove while others will make you regret so much as looking at it. Either way, you'll be learning plenty; and that is what is most important.
    Beretta 92FS

I have about two of each major calibers. (handguns)

But the 10mm has eluded me for some reason.
    I have been coveting a Colt Delta Elite for about 20
    years.

Got my son on the look out for a deal, he works in a
    pawn shop.

So the answer to your question.....no I don't get tired
    of different calibers, or trying them out.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

To answer your question, yes! My first gun was a SA XD .40cal. My gf. was uncomfortable shooting it, but was very interested in shooting for sport as well as protection (with very little persuation needed =) ) My answer a sig 226 ST in 9mm. a larger heaver gun in a smaller caliber did wonders for recoil and her enjoyment in the sport.
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

CDH
    The original question was posed in such a way as to suggest that a person had to "choose" about changing up or down in caliber.

I'm one who has "one (or more) of each" so I get to carry anything I want anytime.
    So my totally unbiased opinion (since I don't have to choose one at the exclusion of another) is that.... I choose the caliber and weapon to fit the situation.

A lot of times, I carry a Walther PP when I'm in "low risk" situations, but at other times, I wouldn't even go into a neighborhood without my XD45 and 14-rounds of .45 capacity.

But when all is said and done, I like to carry the biggest bullet I can and still carry well concealed and easily so my most frequent choice for most circumstances is my Colt XSE LW Commander.
    It's flatter than most of my other pistols so it's easy to conceal, it's light as most other pistols of it's size being as it's a stainless/alloy Lightweight pistol, and if 8 rounds of .45 can't get me out a jamb and away from a "situation", then my time has come anyway because I don't do "engagements" where I feel I'll actually need to reload or worry about not having enough ammo with 8 rounds available.

The bottom line is that I don't feel undergunned with anything between .380 Gold Dots and up to my .45 Commander. Either of those and anything in between satisfies the First Rule of Gunfighting so it's really up to what each person is comfortable with for their situation.

Let's talk numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by ppcpilot View Post
    A 9mm is the biggest pistol I have ever shot, and I am considering purchasing one...but I wonder if I should just go ahead and get the .40 or the .45...357 and 10mm I like ,but I don't think I could afford to shoot them.....
    Since you are asking a quantitative question, I'll try to use numbers to answer it. I don't know how often you will go to the range or how many rounds you will shoot, but I'll use my own situation as an example. I shoot a variety of calibers, and go to the range once a week and shoot 150 rounds each time. I have been buying my practice ammo at Walmart and this is their current pricing:

9mm....$6 per 50
    40 cal...$9 per 50
    38 cal...$10 per 50
    45 cal...$11 per 50

And the range charges me $10 each time.

So if I go to the range and shoot 150 rounds of 9mm, it costs me $18 for ammo and $10 for the range, or $28.

If I go and shoot 150 rounds of 40 caliber, it costs me $27 for ammo and $10 for the range, or $37.

And if I go and shoot 150 rounds of 45 caliber, it costs me $33 for ammo and $10 for the range, or $43.

The difference between 9mm and 45 caliber for me, if I only shot one or only shot the other, is about $15 per week, or $780 per year. In actual fact I shoot a fairly even mix of calibers, including these three and a couple of others. So for me it is not an either or thing. But if you are only buying one gun in one caliber, this will give you an idea of your costs.
    Last edited by pogo2; October 3rd, 2006 at 10:49 AM.

I've owned and shot .45, 9mm, .380, .357/.38Spl, and .44 mag, in handguns. I've consolidated on 9mm, as the primary- completely out of the .45/.357 and .380, now. Cheaper, higher capacity, and mild recoil- works for me.....

Assistant Administrator
    I am well happy if I have .45 on board in past but - like many have stayed ''lower'' in cal, having settled on my 226 ST 9mm for near two years now.

Heavy and eminently controllable gun - good capacity and of course - cheaper to feed for practice. I know it is no real comparison but - I could probably be just as useful placing all the 15+1 if I had to and gain as much or more effect, in much the same time as the 7 or 8 from the 220.

In the end it is often what works best for the individual - how effective is the ''total package'', all aspects taken into account.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nope cant say i have had

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Yes, of course. Choosing a caliber is sort of like choosing a motorcycle. People who have the big bikes sometimes want a smaller one. Some people have small motorcycles and want larger ones. Simply put, people typically always want a wide variety to work with. There is nothing wrong with that.

You are not undergunned with a .380 in most situations, so don't let that worry you. I encourage people that have the resources to shoot as many weapons as possible so they can gain a better understanding of their likes and dislikes.

I will always have high power weapons, but my favorite weapon to shoot is still my Savage .22 bolt action rifle. Simply put, over time I will have a collection of various weapons and caliber sizes. I know I won't shoot some of them often at all, but it's fun to have the variety when you can get it.

You will find what you like eventually, ppcpilot; until then, don't dwell too much on being undergunned with a handgun of .380 or higher. Your personal tactics will get you out of more hairy situations than the firearm will.

Enjoy the adventure of learning about what suites you best. Some guns will fit like a glove while others will make you regret so much as looking at it. Either way, you'll be learning plenty; and that is what is most important.

Actually, I don't have anything but a 22 and an H&R in 32 S&W long...I would like to get something bigger, but don't know if I should get a .45, .40, or 9mm. I can't afford ammo for the others. The 9mm is the only thing I have experience with (other than the lower calibers) and I only shot 50 rnds from a glock 19. I did well with it, but I guess I will have to go and rent/shoot others...the .40 is only a couple bucks more/box, so I guess if accuracy and followup shots aren't too bad, that's what I'll go with...I think the .45 ammo is going to be too expensive.

I start out carry with a 9mm(kahr, uspc), then I went to a .44(desert eagle), now I carry .45(glock30). My decision on what to carry depends on how I feet and where I'm going. Sometimes I carry the DE and my Kahr cw9(BUG).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links