Pick a duty gun

This is a discussion on Pick a duty gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1, kb2wji. It's a tool first when on duty. It's here to save my bacon, not look pretty. Randall...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pick a duty gun

+1, kb2wji. It's a tool first when on duty. It's here to save my bacon, not look pretty.

Randall

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I love the M&P but have yet to actually own one, so I can't speak directly to that. The Glock 22 always felt a little off to me. The slide just seemed too long and out of balance to me. The Sig 226 was quite possibly the sweetest shooting gun I've ever owned. But with the DA/SA trigger I was simply never happy with thought of being excited and not decocking in a high stress situation and then having a cocked pistol in my holster without the safety of a 1911. I know that if you keep the booger hook off the bang switch it wouldn't matter, but that was my personal decision.

For that reason I ended up moving out of the norm. I carry a Glock 23 on duty. I may sacrifice a little capacity over everyone with their 22s but I shoot it so much better that I'm willing to do so. Spare mags are all 22 mags to on a reload I'm at the same capacity.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Which do you shoot best/feel more comfortable with? This is a gun that has the potential to save your life or someone else's, go with what you are the best at getting good repeatable, fast hits with, you know will function.
    JSutter likes this.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Love Sigs. But, for a duty gun that's going to be used hard, I'd go Glock. Fewer exposed parts to break and the same DA trigger every time.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Before I picked a duty gun, I shot both the M&P and the 4th gen G22. At the end of the day, the kick of the G22 felt pretty soft..... much softer than the M&P.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Given a choice? Any of the full 'duty' sized 'wonder-polymers' will fit the bill, along with a Sigs (226 or 229's) beretta 90's..... 9, .40, or .45's.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Strictly DUTY...GLOCK 22, one gun for on/off duty..Glock 23. My $02 ! GOOD LUCK with the new job!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Personally, I'd say between the Smith and the Glock, carry whatever points more naturally for you. If you can't get on target as fast with the Glock grip angle, get the Smith. From the sound of it, it sounds like the 22 is more natural on the draw, Rock It!

How about the P226 DAK? Sig ergonomics, with DA trigger.

Maybe worth a look, but I personally have never shot one and I don't know about duty carry. Not sure why I'm responding actually. :)

VIP Member
    Of the choices given, I'd vote for the Sig. If allowed to choose any gun I wanted, CZ75 P-06 would be my choice.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    How about a Sig SP2022 in .40 caliber? Poly frame and the same great DA/SA trigger as the P series Sigs. Some think the 2022 trigger is better. Can be had for around $450 and is a great gun. The French police carry it for their duty weapon and 12 rounds of .40 should get you through most encounters.

Good luck and stay safe.

Glock 22.

Why? My old man carried the original version until his retirement 20 years later and still carries it concealed today. After know that, it totally changed my mind on how I feel about Glocks.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would get the Glock as that is the standard in my opinion. Cheaper too for cops. Not to mention all of the accessories and the fact you can carry a 27 as a BUG and share magazines.

I would go with a Glock 23 if you are going 40. If any caliber I would choose a Glock 19.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Get the one that fits your hand best. You're going to be shooting it for a long-long time. Might as well be comfortable.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links