Pick a duty gun

This is a discussion on Pick a duty gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd get the M&P for the ergos...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pick a duty gun

I'd get the M&P for the ergos

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    The French police carry it
    Hardly an endorsement

multistage likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

........never been fired, and only dropped once.
    iguanadon likes this.

Three pages in and no love for the walther p99? I like the p99 AS myself, but the QA is a good handgun too. Available in .40, not too expensive, and now comes with a lifetime warranty. If you're looking for a glock like trigger then the PPQ is the best place to spend your money.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    Three pages in and no love for the walther p99? I like the p99 AS myself, but the QA is a good handgun too. Available in .40, not too expensive, and now comes with a lifetime warranty. If you're looking for a glock like trigger then the PPQ is the best place to spend your money.
    Wasnt one of his options. I would imagine most dept's would require a level III retention holster. I dont know of one for the P99/ppq, but I could be wrong.

I would definately go with the G22. My dept issues G23's which I love too. When we went from Gen 2's to Gen 3's, I was a new Firearms Instrcutor at the time and suggested to the Head Instructor that we go with 22's instead of 23's. The dept wouldn't do it bc they would have to supply everyone with new mag pouches! Are you kidding me? Anyway I was new to the unit and was trumped.

I recently aquired my own 22 that I carry off-duty sometimes. She runs as expected!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'm not an LEO, but the ones I know woukd love to have the option. Most of the departments around here issue one thing and they don't have a choice. Only two smaller PDs have a choice, and in one of those you can even pick your own duty ammo.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I am a Glock guy so the G22 is my first choice, but you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didnt not try the M&P 40 with the new factory trigger, I handled one at my LGS and the trigger was fantastic, it honestly felt as good as the APEX aftermarket trigger.

From what I have been reading if the shell case envelope is dated 6-2012 or later it should have the new trigger, if you dry fire the M&P I think there wont be any doubt which trigger is in the gun (old or new) because the old one has a mushy feel with a long reset you dont hear and the new one has a crisp break with an audible "click" on the reset, much like a Glock.

Good luck either way.
    Gen 3 G19 ~ Gen 3 G19 OD ~ Gen 3 G34 ~ PT 738 ~ M&P 9mm ~ Ruger 22/45 4" bull barrel ~ Marlin 60~ PSA M4 Carbine ~

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    HKP2K with LEM trigger.

HK would be my first choice. Out of your options, the Sig.

Consider the FN40

In my recent search for purchasing my .40, I too looked at the same weapons you were looking at plus the CZ. I found that the FNP40 fit EXTREMELY well in my hand and seems to
    have a natural point of aim for my hand.
    A friend had recently purchased the HK in .40 and when he handled the FN he to was impressed and is in the process of swapping weapons.

For what it's worth!

If you can carry a G21 I would consider it. I love mine and I shoot the .45 much better than I ever shot the G23 I sold a few years back.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Glock
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Been on the job 21 years as of today, as a matter of fact. Been a firearms instructor and armorer 15 of those. I have been issued and carried on duty the following sidearms; S&W: 5906, 645, 640, Sig: P220, P226, P229, Glock: 21, 21SF, 26, 30 and 36, Colt: 1911. What I feel I've learned about combat arms is that the 2 most advantageous things to have in combat sidearm (and any combat armament)are reliability and simplicity of use. I would put Glock ahead of all others I've been issued in that category. I have no experience with the M&P's and their reliabilty, but they appear to be as simple to operate as the Glock (no external safeties, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Glock. I dont like S&W autos, and dont like the top heavy feel of the Sig. They all may be equal, but I am bias towards Glock. Plus you can get the LE discount here for 399.00

Good thing as your name would be then be S&Wman10mm but they don't currently offer that, or SIGman10mm and again they don't offer that LOL !!! God Bless

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links