Would appreciate any current feedback on Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Would appreciate any current feedback on Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the LGS again today, checking out for the 2nd time, the Kahr CW9. I really like the way it feels and am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would appreciate any current feedback on Kahr CW9

Would appreciate any current feedback on Kahr CW9

I was at the LGS again today, checking out for the 2nd time, the Kahr CW9. I really like the way it feels and am leaning towards purchasing one. I would appreciate any feedback---- Good and Bad ------------ from users who have recently purchased the CW9. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I owned one for a few months earlier in the year, but sold it. It is a great pistol. The trigger is almost like a double action revolver, and is very smooth. I sold it because I found it too large for pocket carry and I have other guns which have more capacity for belt carry. For a light, reliable handgun, I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have even been giving thought to buying a CM9 for pocket carry. Hope that helps.

Hopefully, you won't get one with a "Nickel" coating.... in the feed ramp and the initial chamber of the barrel for the bullet. Many were / have deteriorated quickly..... mine took 3 trips to Kahr for new barrels. And yes..... it's nickel (per Kahr several times ) and not chrome. Chrome is much harder than nickel, so a bad experiment on their part to extend barrel life. So, look inside and see how "shiney" it is on the feed ramp and inital chamber area of the barrel.... if it is.... my recommendation is to pass on it. Others however, have had no problems with it. They were going to "use up" the nickeled ones and no longer produce them with it.... about 1 yr ago.

Second.... although mine has been totally reliable, I don't like the trigger and I've very accustomed to revolvers, DAO triggers, etc. So, make sure that you like the trigger and pull length before you buy it.
    They are only slightly larger than the Keltec PF9 ... same capacity ... and I think the trigger on the PF9 is better.

For my .02 cents, I would go with the PM9, knowing what I know now.
    Richard58 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Bought a CW9 early Summer. Liked it enough to get a CM9 a month later. One for T shirt IWB and one for pocket. No regrets.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    My first kahr was a used problem pistol for the first owner. It has been a great pistol for me with no reason for his problems. . After proving to be a great shooterI ordered a new down a cm9 for pocket carry. That also has been a solid no problem handgun. Buy one and don't start off with junk ammo magtech remington federal fmj and sperr gold dot for HP bullets works well in most any thing. . Use a good name for breakin and hold on tightly. If you have a problem assume its first ammo followed by the shooter then the pistol. Mine are up to 2250 rounds fired and zero problems. Some seem to not like the 7 round extended mags but other than that not many problems if buying new. Local price run around 275 at our LGS.

I have one now as my main carry gun. I love the sights and the trigger, though long pull , it is butter smooth. Recoil is very mild for a gun that size. I used a rubber grip sleeve because the factory grip is like a cheese grater on your hand. Overall, I am pleased with it. Oh yeah the gun is also very accurate for such a small gun.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

I have the P9 which is the slightly more fancy version of the CW9. I love it. I'm amazed how well I shoot it. The trigger is smooth, the gun is light, and I find it easy to take apart and clean. No issues so far.

I had a CW9 as my first carry gun. I ended up trading it for a Glock 19 about 6 months ago because I went through an "I need more rounds in my gun" phase. I love the G19 but I still catch myself thinking about how good the CW9 felt in my hand, or how accurate the thing was once I was used to the trigger. I could pop clay pigeons at 25 yards with almost boring consistency.

I believe that every gun has some trade offs. The CW9 was a little lower in capacity than I wanted... While my current G19 is a little less comfortable than I'd like it to be. Both are great guns though. If the Kahr fits your needs then I say go for it! Follow the break in advice posted above by "hardluk1". Oh, I also second the rubber grip sleeve. A section of bike inner tube worked great for me.

Shoot 'em straight!!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

CW9 has become one of my "always" guns. Light, accurate, reliable and so thin it just fits anywhere. Usually carry it as a second gun to my G19.
    Just be aware that new Kahrs are very tight and require a good break in period, which you can accomplish at home without firing a shot just by racking the slide
    several hundred times. Also have a CM9 that easily carries in a pocket holster in my right front pants pocket. You can usually find extra mags for around $28
    here:

Kahr Magazines

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I love my Kahr CW9. It has about 8,000 rounds through it. But:

o Cartridges tend to pop off the top of spare magazines all by themselves. Very few holster makers make magazines with the angled bottoms needed to prevent this (Comp-Tac does).

o I found in a tactical class that the magazines didn't drop free. I had to do some careful filing down of the rails in the magazine well so that all my mags would drop free.

o I had to send it back to Kahr three times in the first six months of ownership. Since then it's been great.

o It doesn't feed my favorite self defense ammo (Corbon DPX) so I have to use my second-favorite (Speed gold dot).
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

jyo
    I currently have two CW9 pistols on hand---one for me, one for wifey (keeps things simple around here)---both pistols function 100%---both shoot right to point of aim for me---super smooth DAO trigger---slim and lightweight---stainless slide---whats not to like? I can recomemd them! Oh, I use Remington 115 +P JHPs as I have quite a lot of this ammo.

500+ rounds through my cw9,not a single malfunction..highly recommend

Around 1k rounds with not even one malfunction. I did the break in procedure and its been perfect. However did just sell it do to "I'd rather carry something else" phase and to be honest with you, the CW9 rubs my thumb knuckle raw after a short range session. I like my revolvers and Sigs better, but the little Kahr is a great gun.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Had one with many FTFs and didnt care for the trigger.

I have the PM-9 which is very similar. I use it for pocket carry on the days where I can't take my G26. Very accurate, nicely made. I agree with rounds coming off the spare mag by themselves. Not quite as easy to take down as a Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links