WASR 10/63 Thoughts - Page 2

WASR 10/63 Thoughts

This is a discussion on WASR 10/63 Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the tips! I am pretty sure I will leave this gun as it is. I really like the utilitarian feel of an AK ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WASR 10/63 Thoughts

Thanks for the tips! I am pretty sure I will leave this gun as it is. I really like the utilitarian feel of an AK with wood grips and iron sights. I do need to add a sling. Any recommendations? Do I need to choose something special for an underfolder model?
    z
    I also need to buy cleaning supplies. Is there a good kit out there? What do y'all use? I found a kit on Cheaperthandirt.com for $5 that has a bore snake, brushes and oil, and I am wondering if I should buy it
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Also, this is not a WASR. It is missing the triangle with an arrow stamp and some of the other markings. It looks like one of the Polish AKMSs that Century imports
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I think you did alright, considering what these firearms command for a price these days.
    Heck, 3-5 of years ago they were a lot less.
    For the $700 + for the one, I would have searched out one of these, Century Arms R1A1 Sporter .308 FAL with Bi-Pod

Century Arms R1A1 Sporter .308 FAL with Bi-Pod : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

OR:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=311621848
    Century Arms R1A1 Sporter .308 FAL with Bi-Pod

OMHO.
    Enjoy and shoot up the hog population!!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    As far as slings go it all depends on if you want a one point or a two point. The Israeli sling from Suarez International is very nice, about $25. I use a convertible sling that will go to either a one or two point.

I simply use commercial cleaning products on mine. I don't bother with the AK cleaning rod under the barrel. There are however some neat little original AK cleaning kits that are self contained with a bore brush, slave pin, patch jig and a basic sight tool. They come in a small metal container and were designed to fit inside the buttstock of the original rifles. A simple bore snake type kit will work fine.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Cleaning kits.. lol. You know what they use in the field? Diesel fuel and a boot lace with a knot tied in it.
    Walden likes this.

VIP Member
    LOL kmagnuss you are correct and it works to. I did add some old paint brushes and rags just so they look good.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Congrats!

Sounds like you did pretty good on your AK. I really like the look of the underfolders, plus they can be folded up and hidden in a tennis racquet bag.

I'd leave it as is, and enjoy the heck out of it.

lc

Nice Polish underfolder, definitely not a WASR. Enjoy!

Storing it like that should be fine if you don't plan on using it. If this is your go to rifle, i would reconsider. I would also listen to anything Tacman had to say about these as he is the man on all things ak. I listened to him on the ultimak and aimpoint and am so happy i did!

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Attached Images

Thank you all for your input! I'm going to shoot my new AK today! I'm also going to pick up a cleaning kit for a .30 cal rifle from Academy.

I have one last question. Is it OK to leave my underfolder resting on its stock? I just don't want the pin on the receiver to shear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links