WASR 10/63 Thoughts

This is a discussion on WASR 10/63 Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of picking up a WASR 10/63 this weekend, and I am wondering about peoples' experience with these guns. I will use it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WASR 10/63 Thoughts

WASR 10/63 Thoughts

I am thinking of picking up a WASR 10/63 this weekend, and I am wondering about peoples' experience with these guns. I will use it for hog hunting and a range novelty. I couldn't find another thread about this, so I would like to ask here.

How have your or your friends' WASRs treated them? I know these guns can have canted sights, canted gas blocks, and poorly milled magwells.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

Its best if you can inspect it before you buy it. Even then I had a WASR that I inspected in person before I bought it to make sure the front sight wasn't canted. Got it home and it would not cycle ammo. Sent it to Century and had it back a few weeks later working perfectly. I loved that gun, wish I hadn't sold it.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Mine works without a problem, I love it.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Mine works without a problem, I love it.
    This seems to be the general consensus.....Tacman would be the one to answer this though........come on Tacman!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I have the underfolder version and it runs like a champ!

No canted sights or anything.

Get a Saiga and convert it to receive AK mags.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have a Romanian 10/63 with the original wood furniture. Never FTF'ed (had it three years), sights seem accurate enough, but this isn't a competition rifle, just a range plinker, gun history piece. It was made in 1972, the 25th anniversary of the AK47.

VIP Member
    The WASR is like any other AK. It'll run until the end of time. The fit and finish isn't what you'd get on a more high end rifle. You're not going to be getting the accuracy you could get out of a better built AK. But in the end I don't know many that aren't happy with their rifle. Although it does seem that the market is saturated with them. I've had one for a while that I've been trying to sell and nobody is interested.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Just the sights and overall operation and you should be good to go. They are what they are though. For the money I would take a MAK 90 any day of the week.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Thank you all for your replies. I decided to pick up a WASR after hearing how none of you really had problems. I tried to go buy one this morning, but struck out. My favorite gun shop did not have any WASRs (only Serbian Zatsavas for $720), another place had WASRs for $580 and wouldn't budge on the price. I went to another gun shop a few miles out of town, and the salesman lectured me about how no civilian should buy an AK. He was a nice guy about it though, and pointed me in the direction of one final gun shop to try.

Lo and behold, I found a used WASR under folder for $500. This thing is immaculate. The rivets are perfect, no gas block cant, no front sight can't, tapco trigger, the action is super smooth for a WASR, and the furniture is sanded down and stained.

I think I got a good deal, even though I didn't want an underfolder. How do the UF AKs compare to wood-stock AKs? Should there be a price difference?
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Underfolder WASRs are usually a few more dollars than fixed wood stock WASRs. I think you did well. Stay the hell away from any gun shop who says a civilian should known own an AK. Screw that. My gun shop gave me a t-shirt that has an AK on the back and says "From Russia, With Love". Thats the kind of attitude a gun shop should have towards AKs.
    Walden and oneshot like this.

Motodeficient: I totally agree and will never purchase any guns from them.

I have a question about storing my AK. I don't have a safe, so I'm having to improvise. I took the bolt out, reassembled the rifle without the bolt, hid the box underneath my bed behind a bunch of old books, and locked the bolt in my handgun safe.

Could storing the rifle without the bolt cause damage to the internal components?

You can store it under 10' of salty mud and be fine. Just kidding, but having the bolt out won't make a difference. Just make sure you oil it once in awhile and you'll be good til forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Motodeficient: I totally agree and will never purchase any guns from them.

I have a question about storing my AK. I don't have a safe, so I'm having to improvise. I took the bolt out, reassembled the rifle without the bolt, hid the box underneath my bed behind a bunch of old books, and locked the bolt in my handgun safe.

Could storing the rifle without the bolt cause damage to the internal components?
    Walden and tacman605 like this.

VIP Member
    Mattman thank you for the endorsement.

Your WASR will run just fine they go bang everytime. It is good you got the chance to look it over first.

In regards to the underfolders. I own a Yugo underfolder just like it and many of my crew here run Type 56 Chinese underfolders. They are very compact with the stocks folded and really have no issues to speak of.
    You may find the cheekweld a bit awkward at first but you will get used to it. If you choose to put on an optic I would recommend the ultimak or the type that replaces the handguard. Putting a mount on that replaces the receiver cover on these rifles does not seem to work well.
    If you buy a cheaper one they never seem to lock down tight which effects the accuracy and if you spend the money to get the TWS type that locks into where the rear sight goes the sight picture is hard to obtain due to the cheekweld issue.

As far as your storage issue leaving the bolt out will not hurt anything. Lube it before you store it as I have found sometimes the area around the end of the gas system if it has any moisture at all will rust to the inside of the gas tube. If for any reason you get a stuck case or the rust issues occur I recommend not clearing the malfunction by hitting the buttstock on the ground like an M4. The stock is rugged but the folding stock rails will bow outwards which will result in closing issues.

If you add a rail system I personally avoid vertical grips with this type gun. Often times depending on the placement and length of the grip itself will make loading a new mag difficult since you have to start with the base of the mag forward and rock it into the gun and can interfere with the the folding of the stock. Often times with the Romanian AK's which have a "built in" wooden vertical grip or the AMD-65's which have a wooden or plastic VFG there can be reloading issues and often they are cutoff or cut down. A stubby VFG may work just fine if you place it correctly.

Other than that they will digest just about anything, get some metal surplus mags and enjoy it.
    Walden likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links