I love my PPQ, but...

I love my PPQ, but...

This is a discussion on I love my PPQ, but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...I am needing something a little smaller to EDC, being the fanboy that I tend to be, I am looking at a PPS 9mm & ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I love my PPQ, but...

I love my PPQ, but...

...I am needing something a little smaller to EDC, being the fanboy that I tend to be, I am looking at a PPS 9mm & a PPK, now I will eventually own a PPK because of it's Bond connection, and (face it), it's just a sexy piece of machinery. In fact I have a plan in place to oneday own one of each of caliber and finish as finances allow. My question is how do they compare against each other as far as carrying goes? All the reviews I have read from everywhere pretty much adore the PPS, but noone seems to compare the two, I know I can get the larger caliber in the PPS but at the range that the gun is desinged for I think a .32 or .380 would be just as effective.

So, feedback & opinions? Am I just being overly gushing to Walther?

The PPS is a wonderful gun and easily concealable! if you like the PPQ you'll probably love the PPS. That said there are a world of difference between the PPS and the PPK but if this is for self defense do not discount the power of a 9MM over .380! In my opinion the only reason to carry a .380 is because your clothing or situation prevents you from carrying somthing slightly larger like a 9MM. And with the much smaller pocket .380s on the market you can get a more easily concealble pocket pistol than the PPK if you stuck on a .380.

If yoou are planning on carrying on your belt or anywhere other than pocket then the very, very minor size diff between the PPK and the PPS is minimal so you might as well get the one that shoots the better self defense ammo (i.e. 9mm of .40 vs. .380).

And just in case you didn't notice, i didn't bring up the .32 becasue while better than nothing that is not a self defense round...

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Another Walther nut chiming in.

I've got a PPS and a P99 (which is quite similar to the Q), both are great weapons. Even though the triggers are different, and have different philosophies and applications in mind for either, one can pretty easily fire them back-to-back as they complement each other quite well.

I don't own a PPk, and am not sure I'd carry one if I did. Being a lefty, it'd be tough to operate the safety under duress, and it being an older design (mid-1920s), it doesn't have the modern Glock-style internal safeties that are so common today, so it's not recommended to carry it with the safety off.

I consider the PPS to be the modern answer to the more refined, classic that is its ancestor.

That said, the M&P Shield is very similar, and is quite nice too. There are plenty of viable small 9mm and .380 options out there, just find the one that suits you!
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

I too own both a ppq and a pps. While they are different, I love them both. I carry my pps and use my ppq for range and home defense duty.

If you like your ppq, you'll likely enjoy the pps.

I too have a P99 (.40 cal) and a PPS in 9 mm. I don't have a PPK but have shot a couple and also own a PK380 ( wife's gun). If you want an excellent carry weapon, buy the PPS. It's extremely accurate and fun to shoot. It does have a bit of a recoil due to its light weight but is still very manageable. I'm 6'1" 195 lbs and I carry it in a Theiss IWH, 8 round mag with just a t-shirt most of the time and no one knows its there. It's light enough to carry all day. I have taken to using the 124-g short barrell ammo from Speer and highly recommend it. If my P99 was as easy to conceal under a t-shirt in the Texas heat, I'd carry it because that is my favorite gun to shoot ever but alas it is not.

The PPK is fun to shoot but I'd rather trust my life to 9 rounds of +P 124 (or 147) grain 9mm than 7 rounds of 95 grain 380 ammo.

And, let's not forget, 9mm ammo is a heck of a lot cheaper than 380.

Check out waltherforums.com for lots of Walther specific discussion.
    BritishAgent likes this.

I own a couple PPQs, a PPS, and a SIG230 (which is similar to the PPK/S).

Theres just no way Id choose the PPK over the PPS. IMHO the PPS DA trigger is easier to use then the DA/SA trigger of the PPK, and at approximately the same size/weight the PPS in 9mm is a better option both for cartridge effectiveness and ammo cost. To me, the PPS shoots like a larger pistol, and the 3 magazine/grip lengths let it fill roles from a sub-compact to a single stack service pistol pretty well.

Since I bought my PPS, my SIG 230 sits in the gunsafe, it really has no advanatges over the PPS other than looks and even that is subjective.

Ill admit that the PPK is a better looking pistol, but the only way Id choose one over the PPS is if I had a serious case of 007 envy.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Ok, ruling out the PPK for. Ow, but now I am stuck between the PPS and a P99c. Really licking the 99 but those are getting hard to find in Oklahoma, at this rate I may just need to buy one of each, as each one seems to suit a differe t purpose.

VIP Member
    I have no issues with carrying my PPQ in an IWB holster by White Hat Holster and I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt so I'm curious as to what your reason is for wanting a smaller gun? How are you carrying your PPQ? Do you think it is too heavy or bulky? If I was going to change my carry gun, I wouldn't limit my choices to just one manufacturer...I think it's too important of a decision to do that.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Whats not to like about Walther????
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Another Walther fan here:

I carry my PPQ in my awesome IWI holster when OCing and my PPS when CCing. The PPS is a great little shooter, with tight tolerances and a slim profile. Tucked IWB I can almost completely forget about it. It shoots well and has a crisp trigger, if a bit of a "notchy" feeling pull to me, especially after getting used to the PPQ.

But in terms of conceal and comfort, it's terrific. Also it has some good weight to it, which some may not like, but it really helps keep it solid in hand, at least in my opinion, for rapid shooting.

To OP, I would think the sales people would frown upon your licking their guns, but you never know, might as well get as many senses involved in the process as possible, eh? JOKE. After reading your last post I just couldn't resist.

I don't own a Walther but have shot a few. Very nice pistols. My brother has a PPK that I have shot. It's well made, but not the easiest gun to shoot well. The trigger was pretty heavy, for one thing. I have thought about getting a "James Bond" gun just for the fun of it, but I will have higher priorities for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I have no issues with carrying my PPQ in an IWB holster by White Hat Holster and I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt so I'm curious as to what your reason is for wanting a smaller gun? How are you carrying your PPQ? Do you think it is too heavy or bulky? If I was going to change my carry gun, I wouldn't limit my choices to just one manufacturer...I think it's too important of a decision to do that.
    PPQ is my range gun, for carry I have a tcp 738 that's currently back at Taurus for repairs, been wanting something diff for awhile but the 738 was right price when I got it. Main reason for sticking to Walther is build quality as well as wanting to keep same manual of arms to maintain the same ish mag release and if I go p99ci can use same mags with the sleeve, but the PPS has been rockin the reviews lately.

Edit I hate typing on an iPhone
    Last edited by Deslock; November 9th, 2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Typeo-o's waiting for Skyfall to start

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
    PPQ is my range gun, for carry I have a tcp 738 that's currently back at Taurus for repairs, been wanting something diff for awhile but the 738 was right price when I got it. Main reason for sticking to Walther is build quality as well as wanting to keep same manual of arms to maintain the same ish mag release and if I go p99ci can use same mags with the sleeve, but the PPS has been rockin the reviews lately.

Edit I hate typing on an iPhone
    Then go with the PPS. I'm very pleased with mine.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Or maybe you want to hang on to your cash until the PPX is released.
    .XX likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

I own and carry daily the PPS in 40. I love it. I'm about six foot, 160 pounds (tall and very slender build) and I carry it IWB with a White Hat holster. The whole rig just disappears when I put a t shirt on it is that concealable. I absolutely love the gun and brag about it to my friends pretty much whenever I get the chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links