Have you ever purchased a gun without shooting it first?

This is a discussion on Have you ever purchased a gun without shooting it first? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty Never shot any of my guns before purchase. Handled, yes; shot - no. Same here...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Have you ever purchased a gun without shooting it first?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Never shot any of my guns before purchase. Handled, yes; shot - no.
    Same here

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've never test fired a gun. Usually I'm familiar with the type, but not always. Heck, I bought an XD the day they showed up at my dealer. I suppose I could have tracked down an HS2000 to shoot somewhere if that would have really mattered to me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I bought my gun without shooting it. I had the option though, my local dealer said that any used gun he sells can be taken to the range about 5 min away and test fired before purchase. If I was buying anything but a SIG I would have done it.
    CaveJohnson likes this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

I bought a Gen 3 Glock 23 without having fired or handled a compact Glock before. Eventually I realized that the front strap finger humps were preventing me from getting good grip. Instead of being between my fingers as they should be, my middle finger rested on top of the first hump. I shoot it well and have too much invested in sights, holsters, and trigger work to trade it. I fixed it by grinding off the finger humps and applying skateboard tape to the front strap. I'm going to remove the skatboard tape and stipple it when I work up the nerve. I'm kinda worried that if I removed too much material that stippling it will weaken the frame. Its a dream to shoot now.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Nope, but I've only been burned once.
    By burned do you mean a gun shop would not make goof on a defective firearm or that the weapon did not meet your expectations?

Michael

I just picked up my new Stoeger Cougar .45 yesterday having never held or even seen one in person. I bought it only on reputation and reviews.

I was able to hold and dry fire every other handguns I have purchased, but never test fire.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Yeah that's more what I mean, or shoot a used one they're selling. Like I said there's ranges that stock guns to shoot, you just rent them and return them. Then you're better informed on how it shoots which is nice.

It made me want a S&W 686, but they're so damn expensive.
    Ruger GP 100, similar and less expensive but definitely not "cheaper"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I haven't. The opportunity rarely exists (at least around here) when buying a new firearm.
    I just research as much as I can and then buy from a well-known and trusted dealer.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not even as a rental. I do my research and then go for it. Haven't had a bad one yet. From the complaints I read here, some people seem to just have bad luck.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No LGS in town. 2 maybe 3 pawn shops that sell some guns. Hell we don't even have a rifle/pistol range in the county I reside in. Gun store in a big city 2.5 hours away has rental guns you can rent and shoot. I bought my GLOCK 19 without ever firing a single GLOCK and later bought a GLOCK 26 without ever firing one (I know, not much difference in those two). I love my GLOCKS.

Other than a new caliber, extra small pistols, and extra large pistols I don't think firing a gun is a big factor prior to purchasing. The feel of the gun in your hand and being able to "run the gun" are big factors. Sure it's best if you can test drive it but sometimes you can't.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Yeah that's another choice, but I haven't seen one at a significantly lesser price yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I recently got the itch to shoot a 357 mag and tried both the S&W 686 and GP100 at the range. I wasn't impressed with the 686. The GP100's trigger and grip was MUCH better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I recently got the itch to shoot a 357 mag and tried both the S&W 686 and GP100 at the range. I wasn't impressed with the 686. The GP100's trigger and grip was MUCH better.
    I can't get them this cheap because of my state:

used Ruger SP101 .357 $399.00 SHIPS FREE

I wish I could, but the SP101 or the GP100 would be nice. The grip on this SP101 I wasn't a huge fan of, but the 686's felt perfect in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I can't get them this cheap because of my state:

used Ruger SP101 .357 $399.00 SHIPS FREE

I wish I could, but the SP101 or the GP100 would be nice. The grip on this SP101 I wasn't a huge fan of, but the 686's felt perfect in my hand.
    The next range rental I'm planning to try is the SP101 with the fiber optic front sight. I have been wanting a 357 or 44 mag. The SP101 would also be easier for my small framed fiance to handle. She limp wrists semi autos too much and they seem to jam on her. I'm thinking that a SP101 with .38 Special +P's would be perfect for her.

Its nice having a range with so many rental guns to try. They have a wide variety; everything from Glocks to Nighthawk Custom 45's.

Senior Moderator
    I keep my eye out for used S&W K-frames on Gun broker I like the 65 or 66 mainly because stainless is much more resistant to wear
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links