Have you ever purchased a gun without shooting it first?

This is a discussion on Have you ever purchased a gun without shooting it first? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; nope. I bought a 380 at the gun show this weekend in Tampa then went to shoot straight to try it out....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Have you ever purchased a gun without shooting it first?

nope. I bought a 380 at the gun show this weekend in Tampa then went to shoot straight to try it out.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, we got the 12 ga at the gun show and hadn't fired any of the ones that were on our short list. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, it's my first shotgun.

We bought the Sig 1911 without having fired it but we shot other 1911s so even though that's not quite the same, it's not totally blind either.

Both of my carry guns were the result of lots of trying out different guns.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    It's not something I like, but it's something I have to deal with. I used to be able to test out most S&W models at the S&W factory, but some legal issues with felons shooting there got them to shut it down.

Most gun shops I know of have no range, and the closest range to test guns at is 2+ hours away in New Hampshire.

I bought my Model 10 without shooting it first and it worked out fine, I had fired other .38spl revolvers at least. This time though I'm looking at a Ruger SR9 or maybe even a Ruger P95 (it's in the air though, could be any 9mm) but won't be able to shoot it first.

Can you test guns where you are before you buy?
    I''ve never fired before buying. There's no where to rent around here.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

VIP Member
    YES to the thread title question. Advice. DON'T.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    YES to the thread title question. Advice. DON'T.
    Grain of salt.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

We have a range here that rents ,They have quite a selection , But I did not shoot any rentals, Just bought what I liked new,
    Now there are a couple more I would like to own as well ( I really like my first choice) But more is better right!

No, I just read ALOT of reviews (pros and cons) before purchasing. It's kinda tricky relying on rented guns at a range because most do not clean them like I would clean my own.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

I gotta say one thing even when you could "test Fire" guns you were limited to S&W,so any other manufacturers you would still not be able to shoot before purchase so in all reality you were limiting your gun choices anyway,now you can broaden your horizons by just touching and feeling to see how they feel and balance in your hand before taking the plunge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have never test fired a new gun (bought at a gun store) prior to purchase. My LGS doesn't have a range on site, so it just isn't possible. I do read everything I can get my hands on about any potential new gun purchase. All comparative reviews, gun tests, customer reviews, customer complaints, and anything else I can find online before making the decision to buy.

I don't buy used guns.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My first two I bought without trying first. A Taurus PT .22 that I've been happy with and an LC9 that wasn't for me and I sold a year later. My current EDC, an XDsc, I rented first, along with a few others I was considering, being able to rent first allowed me to find an EDC I knew I'd be happy with which was important to me since I hadn't loved the LC9. I would buy without shooting first if I needed to or was just buying a gun for fun, but if I was looking for something to replace my EDC for some reason I'd like to be able to rent it first again. My range has a decent selection of guns to choose from. A couple weeks ago they were doing a Beretta weekend and had the Nano available to rent, but only for the weekend - I wanted to go check it out just for curiosity sakes, I'm not in the market for a gun right now, but we had too much going on and I couldn't make it over there.

I've never test fired any gun I've purchased. There's only one range that I know of around me that gives you the opportunity to test fire before you buy. But you are only allowed to shoot the range guns. And even then, all their range guns are glocks. So if you're in the market for a Glock, great. But if not, sorry about your luck.

The closest I've come was shooting an employees own M&P 15-22 because I am in the market for one and wanted to see how it handled.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, just bought one without firing first and probably won't be firing it for a while (until I can find the right ammo for it).

EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

GH
    I didn't, either when buying a new gun. Used ones, yes.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I bought both pistols I own without ever having fired them. No one had a PK380 at the gun shop that I could try out, and the 22/45 just looked like fun to shoot.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links