Questions for S&W 638 owners (and similar)

This is a discussion on Questions for S&W 638 owners (and similar) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with the other posters here. I wouldn't think of carrying a gun in my pocket without being in a pocket holster. Keeps the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Questions for S&W 638 owners (and similar)

I agree with the other posters here. I wouldn't think of carrying a gun in my pocket without being in a pocket holster. Keeps the trigger covered, and the gun in a correct position for grasping and drawing.
    marcclarke likes this.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    After owning a 638 I went to a 642. The shroud was a good place to collect dirt.
    Not a problem. A can of compressed air works just fine to blow out any collected dust.

Although I did keep mine holstered, I stayed concerned about it getting cocked and me not realizing it.
    It does not happen. Someone has to pull the trigger or cock the hammer. Made-up fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD). No documented cases. It does not happen.

Put a set of dummy rounds into your 638 and show us all on a YouTube video how the gun "cocks itself" while in a pocket holster in a pocket. It does not happen.

Sure, probably a non-issue, but is was cot even a consideration or concern with the 642.
    It is definitely a non-issue. Just made-up FUD.

My ankle gun is a 638. I prefer it to my 642. It stays relatively clean and a burst of air takes dust out of the hammer shroud. Just keep the gun clean with a light coat of oil. On occasion I pocket carry it with no issue. Go for it.

I keep both my 642 and 442 in a $10 Uncle Mike's (size #3) pocket holster.

I was going to spend more and upgrade, but it works so well that I decided to stay with it.

i have a 638,it's a great little revolver but i would suggest buying a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster to carry it in..

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    My LCR, 36 and Sp101 sit in this nicely.

The Pocket-Roo
    https://www.tuffproducts.com/home.php?cat=268
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

After owning a 638 I went to a 642. The shroud was a good place to collect dirt. Although I did keep mine holstered, I stayed concerned about it getting cocked and me not realizing it. Sure, probably a non-issue, but is was cot even a consideration or concern with the 642.
    I agree,the 642 does the job and is very safe in a holster.

My son has a Remora pocket holster for his Airweight. It's strongly recommended. Eunuchs everywhere agree.

I carry a 442 and 642 and use either a Remora pocket carry or Tuff Pocket... both work well. I can pull the gun without worrying that the holster will come out too.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

LCR in a DeSantis, right front poket all day almost everyday. :)

Last edited by paullie; October 24th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

VIP Member
    I am going to swim up stream here and go against the current.

I have the 642 and when it is in my pocket (which is rare- I usually use a pistol rather than a revolver for pocket carry) it is always in a pocket holster. That said, I don't believe one has to use the pocket holster for the reason people keep listing. As far as safety I look at it like this:

1. The trigger pull is rather heavy on the gun.
    2. One should never put anything in a pocket that has a gun in it.

When you put those two things together the thought of the gun firing while sitting in your pocket is laughable. Nothing to get caught in the trigger guard and brushing against something won't have enough force to pull the trigger. I use a pocket holster with the revolver to ensure the gun stays in the position I want it to be in. Without it the gun can shift in your pocket. You reach in to dray and you may grab barrel or cylinder rather than the stocks. The holster ensures it is sitting properly and waiting on the draw.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Love my 638 and carry it every day either as a primary or a BUG. Sure it can be carried in the pocket without a pocket holster, but I would suggest the opposite. The holster advantage is two fold and worth the purchase; one prevents a negative discharge, and the other keeps the revolver oriented correctly in the pocket regardless of the operators position. Win win IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I also carry the 638, in a Nemesis pocket holster. Keeps the gun oriented correctly. Not so worried about ND, as the trigger is purposely heavy, but certainly a holster prevents that also.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I love 9mm autos but the 638 is my #1 carry gun. It is so easy to have on that it only comes off at bed time.
    For pocket carry I use the desantis nemesis (put the gun in the holster before putting either in the pocket), the holster is well worth it after having carried w/o any holster.
    A shot of air once a week, punch the bore and cylinder, keeps the dirt well under control.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links