Questions for S&W 638 owners (and similar)

This is a discussion on Questions for S&W 638 owners (and similar) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering an Airweight 638 with the short barrel. It has the shrouded hammer, but with a little spur so single action fire is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Questions for S&W 638 owners (and similar)

I am considering an Airweight 638 with the short barrel. It has the shrouded hammer, but with a little spur so single action fire is available. Question is do you (can you) just load it and stick it in your pocket for carry safely? I would like a small weapon to just stick in the pocket and carry without holster or other stuff.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

S&W 442 Airweight, here.

Holstered is, IMO, much safer, simply due to properly covering the trigger area when not intending to fire. Beyond which, a holster helps keep the grip in a consistently-reachable location, instead of turned upside down. Crucial when the chips are down and time is short ... and there's really no way around that.

Sure, it can be plopped anywhere without a holster. You'll just need to decide if you want to, given the pros/cons.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Great choice for your ccw. There are a lot if good pocket holsters out there. I highly recommend you buy one if you intend to pocket carry. Congrats!

I have a S&W 638 and I recommend this little revolver very highly. As noted, you can shoot it double-action, even from within a jacket pocket; the stub hammer does not catch on fabric inside the pocket. You also have the option for deliberate, aimed, single action fire, should the need arise. As a pocket gun I consider the 638 or its blued version, the 438, combined with a Crimson Trace laser to make up for the sadly short sight radius to be the best pocket gun in the world. (I am biased. )

The general rule for all hand guns is to always keep the trigger covered. If you can't accidentally activate the trigger there is no way that the gun is going to go off when you don't intend it to.

While you can carry the revolver in a pocket without a pocket holster, it is best to use a pocket holster to keep the trigger shielded. I have and use: Uncle Mike's #3; de Santis Nemisis; and Remora. All work very well. The Uncle Mike's moves around in my pocket and is most comfortable if I am standing up and sitting down a lot. The de Santis is the most stable, as it has a large flat bottom to keep the holster stable in my pocket. The Remora switches easily between pocket and IWBA carry (as when I am seat belted in the car which makes it very difficult to get into my pocket).

Another 442 owner here. I carry it daily in my pocket. I use an uncle Mike's pocket holster that works great. I bought it on amazon for around $6, I believe. My favorite aspect (that many pocket holsters have) is a strip of rough material around the holster that helps to keep the holster in the pocket when you draw.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

638 every day all day. Holster is a must IMO. Best gun that I've ever owned. Get a holster and enjoy.

I want to stay away from a traditional holster, I have other weapons for that use and want this for in the pocket. I know of this pocket holster thing, will investigate.

I handled a 638 today and it sure seems very nicely made.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I had the 438, the blue version of the 638. Perfect for pocket carry. A slim pocket holster like uncle mikes 3 or 4 will also help stabilize the gun in your pocket so the grip is always up. A pocket holster will also help keep lint and dirt out of the gun. The holster will also break up the print of the gun. No reason not to use one.

Distinguished Member
    I pocket carry a 638 in a kydex pocket hoster and the whole package works pretty much perfect. The holster is pressed locally by a guy, cost me 25 bucks, no sticking, easy release, stays in the pocket, absolutely minimum buldge over what the 638 would have anyway, etc. and safe. I can put you on to the guy. Well spent 25
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Read somewhere a few days ago of a guy who had a revolver in his jacket pocket, sans pocket holster. When he went to grab his jacket to put it back on, he fired the gun and nearly hit a kid sitting behind him in a movie theater.

Don't be that guy. Use a pocket holster.
    ccw9mm and BigJon10125 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The 638 was my first and is still my most-carried gun, eventhough I have others to choose from. I have a Crimson Trace laser grip on mine and find it to be a great addition. As others have said, get a pocket holster. Robert Mika makes outstanding holsters at a very reasonable price.

The 638 is a great revolver and I highly recommend it. Although you could just stick it in a pocket, as others have said, a pocket holster will help keep the trigger covered and also keep it in place when you need it. I use the De Santis Nemisis and it works well. If you do pocket carry, it would be a good idea to check for lint and other pocket gunk periodically.

I also carry the Airweight in a pocket holster. It's very comfortable. Not only does the holster keep the trigger covered (which is very important), it keeps the gun oriented---place your hand in the pocket, and the grip is always in the same place. If the gun were flopping around loose, that wouldn't be the case.

After owning a 638 I went to a 642. The shroud was a good place to collect dirt. Although I did keep mine holstered, I stayed concerned about it getting cocked and me not realizing it. Sure, probably a non-issue, but is was cot even a consideration or concern with the 642.

642 in a GALCO PRO 158 leather pocket holster. Happiness is a J-Frame with GDHPs!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links