Help me pick a gun for a shoulder holster/pocket carry...double duty.

This is a discussion on Help me pick a gun for a shoulder holster/pocket carry...double duty. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right here's the deal folks, about every 6 months I get bored with the CC firearm I have and end up selling it...this probably ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a gun for a shoulder holster/pocket carry...double duty.

Help me pick a gun for a shoulder holster/pocket carry...double duty.

All right here's the deal folks, about every 6 months I get bored with the CC firearm I have and end up selling it...this probably won't be much different however...

I'd like to give a shoulder holster a try for this winter, but with the possibility of the firearm also being pocket carried when it is warmer out.

Obviously the first thing that comes to mind to me anyway is a S&W 442/642.

The holster I am looking into is the Galco Classic Lite:

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

I would copy and paste the list of firearms it is available for but I apparently am not that smart...but pretty much any suggestion needs to be on the list or fit that holster.

All opinions appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

You can carry some fairly large handguns in a shoulder rig, so the driving factor is going to be your desire to pocket carry the gun as well.

I would look no further than a small revolver. The Ruger LCR is my favorite of the breed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

J frame size revolver or auto size of something like a PF9 if ur goin to pocket carry it also.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I live my S&W 360 in 357 magnum (340 is the internal hammer model). Scandium J-Frame, pocket, ankle, shoulder, IWB, all work VERY well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Sig P938
    Springfield XDs
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Obligatory Kahr PM9/CM9 suggestion.

Lightweight shoulder holster for J frame - Null City Slicker

If you go with an airweight J frame, like the 442/642 for the gun, you might consider a more abbreviated shoulder holster than the Galco. I'm thinking of the Null "City Slicker", as shown here:

K.L. Null Holster Ltd. - Holsters

This is a very lightweight holster that carries the J frame in a grip down position. The City Slicker with loaded J frame airweight only weighs 19 ounces.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^ Now there's an interesting setup.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you go with an airweight J frame, like the 442/642 for the gun, you might consider a more abbreviated shoulder holster than the Galco. I'm thinking of the Null "City Slicker", as shown here:

K.L. Null Holster Ltd. - Holsters

This is a very lightweight holster that carries the J frame in a grip down position. The City Slicker with loaded J frame airweight only weighs 19 ounces.

See, this is why I love this forum. People that make great posts and provide ideas I had never even heard of.

That is pretty dang neat. I was looking at the Galco for the low cost and horizontal weapon position. I didn't want one with the "butt" sticking up as I feel it would take longer to draw....but "butt" down? that might just work.

It would make me a little nervous having the pistol pointing at my left arm/shoulder all day but they don't exactly go off without reason. Any videos on how the draw is? and is the retention pretty good?

and also about the Kahr suggestion, I had a CM9. It was ok I suppose...just no more Kahr's for me.

For a shoulder rig I carry a 1911 full size, though a Commander would work as well. However, either is on the large side for pocket carry :) although I have tried the commander in the CCW breakaway pants. It fits - I'm not a fan. For really comfortable pocket carry the LCP is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    See, this is why I love this forum. People that make great posts and provide ideas I had never even heard of.

That is pretty dang neat. I was looking at the Galco for the low cost and horizontal weapon position. I didn't want one with the "butt" sticking up as I feel it would take longer to draw....but "butt" down? that might just work.

It would make me a little nervous having the pistol pointing at my left arm/shoulder all day but they don't exactly go off without reason. Any videos on how the draw is? and is the retention pretty good?

and also about the Kahr suggestion, I had a CM9. It was ok I suppose...just no more Kahr's for me.
    If you watch Ebay, Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters show up periodically. Like the Null, they are great for carrying an LCR or other snubby revolver butt down. Butt down gives some options that you don't get with other shoulder holsters:

It isn't too difficult to draw with the weak side hand if you need to.

You can wear it under a tee shirt or sweat shirt and reach up underneath the shirt to draw.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Shoulder holsters effectively went out of style with Miami Vice.

And I'm very uncertain why anyone would want to carry a J-frame sized gun in one

I love my S&W 442. Probably the most versatile gun for various carry methods. Starting to like my Bersa Thunder CC 380 too. Also have a Taurus PT709 that fits light carry duty well also.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Shoulder holsters effectively went out of style with Miami Vice.

And I'm very uncertain why anyone would want to carry a J-frame sized gun in one
    Well when it won't fit in your jeans or slack pockets, and you despise IWB carry in all forms. Shoulder holsters appear like a good option especially considering cooler weather where I primarily will always have a sweatshirt on anyway when out and about.

That's why I'm considering it. I don't care what's in style...I care about what works and what is comfortable for me every day. Why in the world would you NOT want to carry a J-Frame in a shoulder holster. They were practically designed for it.

Pocket carry in warm weather is not a concern as I mostly wear cargo shorts that have PLENTY of room in the front pocket, not so much during winter time.

Now to find a no lock 442 in stock...no luck so far!

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Kirkpatrick Leather makes a nice shoulder rig. One of them, the HD400, has 2-1/2-inch wide straps at the shoulders. Nice.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/shoulder/hd-carry-139

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links