Paint for red safety dot

This is a discussion on Paint for red safety dot within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Searched the forums and only saw threads for glow-in-the-dark sight paint... My gun has an external safety, but, unlike other ones I've seen, does not ...

Thread: Paint for red safety dot

Paint for red safety dot

Searched the forums and only saw threads for glow-in-the-dark sight paint...

My gun has an external safety, but, unlike other ones I've seen, does not have any color indicator that the safety is off. I would really like to add a red dot to the spot that shows when the safety is off, just as another visual reminder. I have red nail polish, but I feel like that would come off pretty quickly.

Link me to the good stuff?
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    What kind of gun are we talking about?

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

My wife had the same concern with her weapon. Being a wonderful lady, she used bright red nail polish, then clear nail polish over that-

that was 3 years ago, still looks good. So, check with your wife.

Edit, I see you are female, so nvm checking with your wife-
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Red nail polish... or red crayon even if there's a dimple there. Just rub the crayon over it hard and it will fill the dimple it. Then just wipe off the surrounding areas (it's easy) and voila.

I think nail polish would work. You might also try epoxy paint.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Just clean any oil etc from the area,if its a divot it should retain the color for quite awhile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Walmart sells Elmer's Paint Pens in the hobby department. They're a paint marker, are very durable, and come in just about any color you might ever want. I use the fluorescent orange ones on the front sights of my fixed sight S&W revolvers, and the paint has never chipped. Just dab a dot of this stuff onto a thoroughly cleaned pistol (use alcohol), wipe the excess if you're filling a depression, and you should be good to go.

Model paint should work well too.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911LOD View Post
    Walmart sells Elmer's Paint Pens in the hobby department. They're a paint marker, are very durable, and come in just about any color you might ever want. I use the fluorescent orange ones on the front sights of my fixed sight S&W revolvers, and the paint has never chipped. Just dab a dot of this stuff onto a thoroughly cleaned pistol (use alcohol), wipe the excess if you're filling a depression, and you should be good to go.
    Cool. I've been looking for something to mark my luggage and gun cases with, and just assumed that it was more of that silly "wash it off" stuff for pre-schoolers. Thanks.

(I use finger nail polish for metal objects all the time. Used to carry some in my fishing tackle box for touching up fishing lures. Great stuff.)

As someone above mentioned-model paint. I used testor's but used something like international orange-think life jacket bright-in the divot of a S&W 5904. Seems to last forever...but I guess nail polish saves you a trip to Hobby Lobby.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Don't use paint. Use the acrylic that the fingernail places use. It comes as a powder that mixes with a hardener and can be dyed with any pigment. Brownell's sells it as well as a kit of pigments and mixing tools, but the fingernail stuff is much cheaper for the same chemical. You can get enough at a beauty supply store to do just under 10,000 guns (it works great on sight inserts too) or if you have a regular nail place they may give you a sample. If you have a great nail place they may do it for you and you can talk about guns while it dries. The acrylic is the same thing the manufacturers use for colored sight inserts, like the orange ramps on S&W revolvers. It resists most gun cleaning chemicals, but like your nails stronger solvents may attack it (and would also attack your plastic gun parts too). A lot of nail polish is nitrocellulose based and any gun solvent will break it down.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I painted the front sight of our LCPs with a base coat of white nail polish, and then two coats of florescent red model paint. That was over two years ago. Still looks new.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Most hobby stores carry testor paint. You can get a small jar of red, paint your dot then put a clear sealer on it. The key is going to surface preparation. I'd recommend using some denatured alcohol to clean the surface first.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links