Interesting Conversation With A Glock Armorer

This is a discussion on Interesting Conversation With A Glock Armorer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A generation 2 born in October 1989. I have a complete spare parts kit for it that will allow me to replace every part, both ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Interesting Conversation With A Glock Armorer

A generation 2 born in October 1989. I have a complete spare parts kit for it that will allow me to replace every part, both upper and lower, sans barrel.

I believe it will last me until I no longer need to worry about SD. You can find the older parts if you shop around.
    old grunt likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

My GEN3's, a G19(2000 vintage)and my G26(2003)have been outstanding. Would like another G19 to "stash" as an extra....would buy it NEW, so I guess I'll take my chances. Like the idea of a spare parts kit,have a small one for my Colt 1911's need to build a Glock one!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by ejes View Post
    Engineers and machinists I've talked to have told me that small MIM parts can actually have superior strength to forged or machined-from-billet parts IF the MIM is done properly. The problem is that when it is done to that level, even though it is less expensive, companies will tinker to see how much "less expensive" they can get away with to widen the profit margin.
    I'd bet that's the key, right there.

Q: Does anyone know which parts are MIM in the new-gen Glocks, and whether Glock has made known their changed failure-rates because of it?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    As I understand this purported MIM issue, and I've read quite a bit on the subject, the problem with Glocks MIM, is not the MIM per se, but with the part dimensions.

One guy took an MIM extractor that was causing problems and carefully measured it and found it to be out of spec in comparison to extractors that were not giving problems. He machined the extractor to the correct dimensions and the problem went away.

This wasn't 'big' dimensional errors, nor was there a lot of out of spec dims. There were only a few and they were really small dimensional errors.

Based on the majority of gen 4 buyers, the gen 4 issues are quite rare considering how many have been sold. I have five gen 4s and have yet to have a problem through thousands of rounds.

Also, someone mentioned this, that MIM can be made superior to billet parts because there are wide ranges of alloy mixes they can use, and they can even make MIM parts surface hardened where it's needed.
    ejes likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    People tend to gripe a lot louder than they praise, and no doubt for every Glock Gen 4 with an issue, a hundred (or more) did not--but it still irks the heck out of you if you happen to be that "one."

Seems like every gunmaker who makes a change, upgrade, or produces a new model goes through this gamut of bugs. The reputable makers correct it and make good on their products.
    Tangle likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The recent gen 4 issues are also shared by some of the gen 3 pistols in the last two years
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    People tend to gripe a lot louder than they praise, and no doubt for every Glock Gen 4 with an issue, a hundred (or more) did not--but it still irks the heck out of you if you happen to be that "one."

Seems like every gunmaker who makes a change, upgrade, or produces a new model goes through this gamut of bugs. The reputable makers correct it and make good on their products.
    I keep thinking "Harley Twin Cam" every time I hear some complaint about Gen4. The TC is a marvel of V-twin engineering replacing the popular Evolution engine which ran from 1984-1999. Not that the Evo needed replacing, but progress happens. And along with the design improvements cheaper part and processes were employed, especially in the camshaft and crankshaft bearings. The Evo people screamed when the TC came out, calling it a cheap POS, etc. that would never be as durable as the tried-and-true Evo. Sound familiar? I sure love my Gen4 and TC88. Others are free to feel anyway they want about anything.
    Tangle likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links