Round gun in a square gun world

This is a discussion on Round gun in a square gun world within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you carry a round gun in a square gun world? I do. My primary is a S&W Model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrell. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you carry a round gun in a square gun world? I do. My primary is a S&W Model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrell. If I need very deep concealment I'll go with a S&W 642. I had an interesting experience at a very fun shooting event this past weekend that's got me thinking. Thinking what? Idunno. Have yet to figure that out.

I came to the event with my primary carry gun, the above mentioned S&W 19, and my Taurus 65 (clone of S&W M-10) which I carry sometimes. I didn't see anyone else there shooting a revolver. Glocks and XD's seemed to be the most popular pick, with a few Sig's, a few of the new M&P's, 1911's, etc. I'm sure there had to have been a wheelgun out in the crowd somewhere, but I sure didn't see one, and I was looking.

If you carry a six-shooter, do you feel out-gunned? Silly question, I know. I have enough confidence in my revolvers that I can shoot well with them that I choose to carry them over my semi-auto's. Yes, I've only got six shots RIGHT NOW and another six in a Safariland Comp2 on my belt, but I feel that's more than adequate for anything a civilian will probably ever need.

However I couldn't help but feel a little out of place. Not sure why. I didn't feel like I was an outsider (due to the fact that the people I was shooting with are a great group of men and women), I just felt like a round peg in a room of square holes!

Anybody out there who carries a 6-shooter ever feel this way?

JLaw

I never feel out gunned when i carry a wheelie even when i carried my cobra which would only take 38's and no +p's

Quote Originally Posted by JLaw View Post
    Do you carry a round gun in a square gun world? If you carry a six-shooter, do you feel out-gunned? Silly question, I know.
    Carried a 5-shooter (S&W 442 Airweight 38spl) for some years and definitely felt a bit outgunned. But at the time, I had yet to find a concealable alternative that worked in the pocket that could beat it. Now, there are a few options. I've also gone primary/backup, instead of merely a primary, and that opens up the choices.

Now, the 2" snubbie was definitely not very controllable for me. Certainly not beyond 10ft or so. It would have made much more sense to have a 3-4" barrel 6-shooter, but my mode of dress/carry demanded pocket, not IWB or OWB. That cut a lot of choices out.

Were I to be on the proverbial 100ac spread with the wilds out my front door, it would be a decent N-frame or .454 Casull on one hip, and my trusty hi-cap 9mm tack driver on the other.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 2nd, 2006 at 10:08 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I normally carry a G27 with a G22 magazine so I have 25 rounds of
    .40. I carried a .38 j-frame with no extra rounds all weekend and didn't feel "out-gunned". Nothing wrong with round guns, as a matter of fact in some cases (or for some environments) I say thier better, IMO.

Assistant Administrator
    SIG 226 ST here but - I was raised on revo's and cut my teeth on them.

In fact back in 80's did a lot of practical revo which was great because everyone used wheel guns!

In ''mixed'' gun company tho - these days semi's are almost universal from my perspective. Because I have elected to carry a semi - I do most practice with same but - given a chance to shoot revo anytime - I still love 'em!

Used to carry SP-101 and hardly felt under-gunned - tho felt even better during the time three years ago I had the 4" M28 on board. But - now semi is ''it'' for my carry, and thus also my IDPA. If I had a chance for revo only IDPA I'd relish using my 625 with moonies.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My late Dad had a S&W Model 10, only fired a few hundred rounds through it in the 30 years he had it, and left it to me. It has beautiful checkered wood grips with S&W logos and a trigger better than most trigger jobs you'll grab today.

I plan to get a holster, likely the K&D Eagle Defender with an eagle embossed on it, and carry it occasionally. In addition to my wife's S&W 642, it's the only revolver we have, but we both feel a certain nostalgia for revolvers. She'd never carry anything but, because of their dependability and simplicity.

My wife loves to shoot that Model 10, and it seems to be a natural for her. She shoots it very accurately, even shot it at an IDPA match. It's weight absorbs the recoil, so it seems that any flinch disappears.

I have the original blue S&W box that my Dad's Model 10 came in, and the new price of $71.95 is written on the label. He bought it at Epp's Sporting Goods in Detroit in 1967.

Sorry to wax nostalgic here, but I love that revolver, for it's just a bit of my Dad with me.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Yes, I frequently carry a "round gun" rather than a "square" one...but really like and appreciate the features on both. Still, there's something about a trusted revolver that just appeals to me.

This old Model 10 snub had a bobbed hammer when I got it, but the job was nicely done and I've simply left it. I saw lots of these, both square and round butt versions in police detectives' holsters in the '70's.

For the time I worked plain clothes, I carried a 2 1/2" Model 19, though not this one. Over the years I've owned several but let all slip away except this one.

These days, my orbits are tame, but I always carry this "24/7" gun and practice with it frequently.

Another frequently carried revolver is this stock-but-smoothed-up Ruger SP101.

Best.

Wheelgunner here

When I first started carrying, it was a full size 1911. Heavy and bulky and in FL heat not always easy to conceal. The I got a Taurus PT108 or 9 or something. Still too heavy for my comfort. Then went to a PT111, same result. So a lot of times I just didn't carry so I could be more comfortable.

My next purchase was an Ultralite Ti 38spl. 13ozs I think, unloaded. Easy to conceal, comfortable to carry. 5 shots and accurate if I do my part. I often shoot stuff with it out to 50yds at the range. Loaded with 135gr GDHP +p. and two speedloaders. Serendipity for me.

No, I don't feel undergunned as a civilian. Though I do want to get one in .357.

My wife is a dedicated double action wheelgunner, becuase she doesn't like bells and whistles. She likes "aim + pull trigger=bang".

No jams to clear, no saftey to fool with except the trigger finger. No springs to weaken in the mag, and safe. Nearly imposible to have an AD unless you fully stroke the trigger.

I choose Ti or stainless for low maintainence. Load it now with good ammo, keep it in the house, loaded for years if you want, and when you need it, pick it up; it works. IMO, you can't beat simplicity.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I carry (depending on event, etc.) a Taurus ss 85 ultra-lite, a ruger sp101, along with my para 12.45 LDA. I do not feel undergunned.

I am starting to feel undergunned with my colt mustang though. I think it's just the size of the pistol... just a mental block to get over from carrying the para.

I used to shoot and own a bunch of different wheel guns.

Now I have none.

I still want to get those like I did own plus a few more. Redhawk .44mag Staniless 7.5", GP-100 Stainless 6", SP101 .357 2-1/2"?

VIP Member
    Until recently the only revolvers I had were made in the early '40s and were light calibers. I have my father's S&W .32 long and a S&W .38S&W. I only shoot them once a year or so. I recently bought a Taurus that fires .410 shotgun shells or .45 long Colt rounds. I did some shooting with some good long Colt hollow points and found that I seem to shoot revolvers better than semis.

So my next purchase for myself will likely be a .357 revolver. Unfortunately it won't be this month since my gun fund has been appropriated mb my wife to buy a new dishwasher. The old one is on its last legs. So maybe next month the .357 will come home with me. I don't think that I will feel undergunned especially if I find that I am as much better with the revolver as I think. If I find that there is only a marginal difference I'll probably continue to carry a semi. I personally think that you are never undergunned if you carry what you are best with.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    I love that revolver, for it's just a bit of my Dad with me.
    JimmyC - a most laudable and understandable sentiment. I would hope when I am gone my son will treasure one of my revo's the same way. I know they are ''lumps of metal'' but somehow we feel they can be imbued with some ''soul'' from a family past owner.

gun fund has been appropriated by my wife to buy a new dishwasher. The old one is on its last legs.
    Ahah George - you mean for Glock owners - a ''new Glock washer'' LOL

<ducks for cover>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I forgot my gp100. THATS a handful of revolver.
    I know how you feel George on the issue of what shoots better, the revolver or semi.
    Its a love/hate relationship that I could never give up though...

"The world is round. Your gun should be, too." :)

Loved the SP101 for a .357mag. Loved the GP100, though it was large and not what I was looking for. Those two opened my eyes to Ruger. Very competent revolvers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Round Gun

Lately, day to day, I've gravitated toward pocket carry with a 642 and one speed strip on my belt. Off the clock, I have been carrying a 325 strong side in a pancake and the 642 in the weak hand pocket, with two moon clips for the 325. I don't feel undergunned in either situation. I used to shoot IDPA almost exlusivley with revolver, and I still shoot IPSC with revolver. I don't win, but it's great practice and it helps me to be aware of my abilities. I've shot several IDPA club matches with the revo and then with an auto(G-19 or 4053 or 1066)and turned in better raw time with the revo. The auto would be slightly more accurate, but the wheelgun was faster.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links