Range report: Taurus TCP .380

This is a discussion on Range report: Taurus TCP .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't help there. I am still on the learning curve on these too. Check at the taurus forum. Theres some sharp guys over there....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range report: Taurus TCP .380

Can't help there. I am still on the learning curve on these too. Check at the taurus forum. Theres some sharp guys over there.

2. Remove Ads

Found it:

"Taurus TCP 380 ACP Serial Number 6000 and Higher"

There you have it.

Mine is a B series and has a serial that is higher than 6000, I still believe it's the A serial numbers which are, at least, most at risk of getting the wrong magazine by not knowing there are differences.

MidwayUSA shows 2 variations:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/712...nd-steel-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941...nd-steel-black

I bought one for a former ladyfriend who wanted a pistol. I went to get the LCP but the store owner showed me how much slicker the trigger was on the Taurus and he was right. Now I generally despise Taurus but I bought this one. She found out pretty quickly the sting of the little grips wasn't fun and she eventually went to a Beretta 92 due to better recoil distribution and less PERCEIVED recoil. We had a few instances of the magazine coming out but she attributed it to her grip (I had not and have not shot it). It also stovepiped bad if dry. After about 75 rounds it has been sitting in the safe for about a year and a half. I might get it out and run a few hundred rounds thru it just for kicks.

She went from the TCP to a Beretta 92?! Wow, what a big difference!

Re: Range report: Taurus TCP .380

I've had my TCP since March and love it. I've put about 300 rds through it without issue.

Your initial FTF might be because you didn't rack the slide quick enough. The first time I loaded up a mag and tried to chamber a round, I had an FTF. I read on a .380 forum that this tends to be an issue with mouse guns. That you really need to rack a slide fast on these small guns....if that makes any sense.

5 days after my last post the mag arrived & was still fropping, so another call & they sent me a shipping label, which I used the next day. Well, I got a letter today from Taurus saying they had received my gun & it could take up to 6 weeks for completion...10 min later the doorbell rang & the Fed-Ex guy had me sign for my pistol. Taurus has just gone up a notch for me, they may not be the BMW my Walther is, but more of a Ford, I think I might look into a PT111 or 708 now, thier CS has really impressed me.

New Member Array TexasMinuteMan's Avatar
    TCP.jpgHello Guys;

I know this is an old thread; but I have good information for you guys; or anyone that searches the forums.

I just joined the forums just to respond to this thread and I hope you all get good use out of it. Take what I say with a grain of salt as this is my first post and you do not know me at all; I understand however I will share some information with you.

I have a TCP380 C model; and yes it has chambering issues; pull the slide back and it's often time like scratching a scratch off hoping you win.. hoping the weapon chambers the round properly.. most of the time it seems the slide is getting stuck partially or the round just does not enter the chamber correctly for what ever reason.. (Not many of those)

I call T and being a 3-4 week turn around.. I decided not to send it in; instead i worked on it myself. If you keep the weapon lubericated very well there are no problems; but i fixed mine for good and have had no problems; I have fired about almost a thousand rounds out of her and she's doing great. I'm actually wondering how much life she has in her left; some say these pocket pistols are only 2K to 3K round life span.. vs. other larger guns with 5k range. But she looks good; no scratching in the bore; and still looks bran new..

So how did i fix it? Well if you disassemble the weapon; remove the guide and spring; remove the bore and look on the inside of the slide you will see where the sticking problem is.. right there.

you will see imperfection of the tooling marks from machining. This area here is what catches on the top of the silver (cant think of proper name to call it) its the shiny part that is visible silver part. You will probally notice over time the same kinda markings there appear on your silver; which wipes off..

This is the problem. If you carefully smooth this area down and get rid of the tooling marks then lubericate it really well You will be like me and have a solid dependable gun.

I use ONLY Rem Oil or for my older weapons like Erma-W .22 LR I use White Lithium grease (Just cus shes older)

I have not had a single problem cambering and most of the Taurus 'haters' out there have been impressed by this little pocket pistol being so reliable. Your grouping will also improve once you fix the defect.. These little guns are built 'well' and quality material; just does not have that attention to detail on theso i bottom of the slide.. Once you take care of it.. it will be a rock solid BU weapon.

I have uplaoded a photo of the inside of the slide; there you can see the machining marks; this is what causes the slide to catch and not chamber correctly rather you have a round in or not.. (Most of the time)

Thanks for listening. I'll check out the rest of the forums now.

I will say dump the rem oil and change to a synthetic lube. Last longer ,slicker. just a better product. CLP , slip 2000, zero frition, slide glide, Lots of good stuff to make semi-auto run . We have 2 C models in the family. I found that the remington double stack green /white box- 90gr hp is a bit werd about chambering the first round, most times you want to give the slide a push to fully lock the slide in . But it shoot and cycles fine after that. GD bullets run great and long with any fmj ammo tried. federal , horday and winchester defence ammos. Only the cheap rem HP ammo was a bit werd.

Also found its ,a, simplier to shoot one handed . Accurate beyound what a micro pistol should be too.

Get a used up 1/75" bike innertube. Custom up a piece for the grip. There free at bike shops and give that little bit of need grip to aid with control and makes for a easier to shot handgun. One of ours is my youngest 100lb daughters carry gun.

I am not a taurus guy. I did cc a old taurus 85ss for 20 years . Still a great revolver today but till this little tcp came along after reading many reviews about many micro 380s. I still don't give taurus much of a look. Just not many taurus firearms call out to me.

Completely disappointed in the TCP380 right out of the box. Trigger travel was extremely long and would not fire / release the firing pin 4 out of the 6 rounds. I even tried to use two fingers to pull the trigger to no avail. I cant even begin to say how disappointed I am at this point so now I have to pay to send it back to Taurus and have to pay to pick it up at a FFL? At this point I am willing to get it fixed and pawn it off to the next sucker or throw it away so no one else has the misfortune to want to depend on this gun for any kind of self-defense. Tried FMJs and HPs in clip if you are wondering and it failed miserably using both types.

Quote Originally Posted by Protector1 View Post
    Completely disappointed in the TCP380 right out of the box. Trigger travel was extremely long and would not fire / release the firing pin 4 out of the 6 rounds. I even tried to use two fingers to pull the trigger to no avail. I cant even begin to say how disappointed I am at this point so now I have to pay to send it back to Taurus and have to pay to pick it up at a FFL? At this point I am willing to get it fixed and pawn it off to the next sucker or throw it away so no one else has the misfortune to want to depend on this gun for any kind of self-defense. Tried FMJs and HPs in clip if you are wondering and it failed miserably using both types.
    I cringe every time I read where people are buying these things for personal protection, especially police officers. Please, I'm begging you, spend the extra money and get something reliable. Saving a few dollars just isn't worth your life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links