Range report: Taurus TCP .380

This is a discussion on Range report: Taurus TCP .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short, I've been wanting a 12ga. home defense shotgun for a while but didn't have the extra $. I also didn't want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range report: Taurus TCP .380

Range report: Taurus TCP .380

Long story short, I've been wanting a 12ga. home defense shotgun for a while but didn't have the extra $. I also didn't want to sell either my G23 or S&W 642 since they both filled an important niche in my arsenal. Then I realized I could sell the 642 and use the $ to buy a Hawk 982 and Taurus TCP thus giving me the shotgun I've been wanting while still having a pocket pistol.

I have to admit, although I've owned two Taurus pistols in the past (nether of which gave me any problems at all) I was still a bit hesitant due to the awful reviews Taurus guns seem to get by folks online. I ended up finding the all black TCP w/one magazine at Palmetto State Armory for only $180. Took it home, cleaned it up, loaded the magazine, racked the slide and...FTF. I then dropped the mag, cleared the jam and tried slingshotting the slide to load another round. Another FTF! Ugh... I cleared the jam again and decided to lock the slide back before inserting the mag while using the slide lock/release lever to load the first round. Worked like a champ. Repeated the process several more times and the gun loaded every time without fail.

I was able to make it to the range the following day and put 50 rounds of Blazer Brass through it. The gun performed flawlessly. Recoil was obviously snappy, but the trigger was pretty good (long but smooth) and I was able to keep all my shots in the 9 and 10 rings at 5 and 7 yards.

I want to put another 100-150 rounds through it before I feel comfortable carrying it, but I must say we're off to a great start. Very happy with my Taurus TCP purchase!

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your new Taurus purchase. Glad it is working out for you. You are in good company as I thought I read somewhere of someone that posted that some LEO's were happy with their Taurus TCP 738 and were carrying them as BU's. God Bless

I guess so because I'm a LEO myself and plan to carry it as my backup once it passes a few more range sessions. I hope this little thing doesn't end up disappointing me because it seems like it would make a great BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW View Post
    I guess so because I'm a LEO myself and plan to carry it as my backup once it passes a few more range sessions. I hope this little thing doesn't end up disappointing me because it seems like it would make a great BUG.

Nice !!! I would say after shooting about 250 problem free rounds consider it G2G (Good to go) and just carry it. About once a quarter or so shoot it for a functions check, clean it, then repeat the next quarter. These small guns are not made to shoot frequently as a range gun. Keep us updated. God Bless

Thanks for the review. Some guns have some idiosyncrasies that, once we know and account for them, give us reliable performance. Some of them like to feed from a closed slide, pulling it back and "sling shotting" it into battery, and some like to be fed by releasing the locked slide. Glad you now know your gun's preference and it's working out for you.

I have that same deal my self from Academy with one mag for 199.00, it feels great but currently it has an issue with its magazine dropping randomly. One call to Taurus and they are shipping me a new mag. to me to try out, if it doesn't fix the prob I'll send it in. The gun was bought in Aug. but this isn't a complaint, their CS is top notch as far as I am concerned and the gun feels great. Gratz on your purchase, it really is a good lil' gun.

I have one, 3 trips to Taurus and it's good lol.

I like the gun a lot better than the LCP.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

My wifes EDC is a TCP and she loves it, we have about 1k rounds through hers and so far it has been much better than I thought it would be.
    Gen 3 G19 ~ Gen 3 G19 OD ~ Gen 3 G34 ~ PT 738 ~ M&P 9mm ~ Ruger 22/45 4" bull barrel ~ Marlin 60~ PSA M4 Carbine ~

Distinguished Member
    I had two, one for my girlfriend and one for myself. Had occasional FTF's when they were new, they ran somewhat smoothly after a couple of range trips but never completely smooth. Eventually got fed up when I got a extra mag that didn't fit in the gun. Was done with the TCP and taurus. Sold em both and got her an LCP. I don't like the feel of the ruger compared to the taurus but I like the fact that the ruger works. She perfers the grip of the LCP anyway so it all worked for the better. I know I'll never buy another taurus though.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I picked one up last week. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but have had FTF's with the Hornady Critical Defence rounds. I was told that it was an issue with the insert in the tip. If I snap the slide back it feeds fine, but if I pull it back and release slowly that's when it fails. Hoping with a few hundred rounds through it and maybe different rounds it will be good to go. I picked it up as a pocket carry and something to get my wife comfortable with shooting handguns. Hope it turns out to be a good second carry.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have been useing speer GD's ammo in mine. Only ammo mine does not like is some junk hp from pmc. I t has a sharp top egde that hangs up once in a while. FMJ ammo doe not matter. When brand new it did ike your as far as sling shooting now runs great that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I had two, one for my girlfriend and one for myself. Had occasional FTF's when they were new, they ran somewhat smoothly after a couple of range trips but never completely smooth. Eventually got fed up when I got a extra mag that didn't fit in the gun. Was done with the TCP and taurus. Sold em both and got her an LCP. I don't like the feel of the ruger compared to the taurus but I like the fact that the ruger works. She perfers the grip of the LCP anyway so it all worked for the better. I know I'll never buy another taurus though.
    I read somewhere that there are different mags for the TCP depending on the gun's serial number. Anyone know anymore info about this?

Re: Range report: Taurus TCP .380

Yeah, it's true. A series serial is different, and less common from what I've found. I don't recall off the top of my head what the designator is in the magazine part number of the magazine though.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Your right, the one smade now are for the upgraded C model pistols but a read that a few licks with a file can make them work in the older models too.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Your right, the one smade now are for the upgraded C model pistols but a read that a few licks with a file can make them work in the older models too.
    My new gun is a C model, so I guess I'm good if I ever want any new mags. I read that the B models were an upgrade from the A models due to a redesigned/improved barrel. Are there any differences between the B and C models besides the mags?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links