Looking to buy again

This is a discussion on Looking to buy again within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own 2 G26's and love them. I am interested in something in a larger caliber that can still be concealed. Right now I am ...

Thread: Looking to buy again

Looking to buy again

I own 2 G26's and love them. I am interested in something in a larger caliber that can still be concealed. Right now I am leaning towards a G30 (45acp). If sig made something in comparable size I would look at them, but as far as I know they don't. I thought about a Kimber, I love the look and feel, but it seems I heard of a rash of problems lately and that cooled me off. I am not a person that wants to tinker around with a gun to make it reliable. I don't have any experience with 1911's except for firing a Springfield years ago that failed 1-2 times in every mag. I know thatís not a fair basis for not looking at them, but I can't forget about it either.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Concealable large caliber like a G30

You seem to be looking for something in .45 or possibly .40 caliber that is smaller, concealable and reliable. And polymer frames and short barrels are clearly okay with you, as you have Glock 26s now. You also seem drawn to 1911s, but are cautious about their reliability.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with a G30 for your application. It would be an excellent choice and my only hesitation about them is the thickness of the grip area, which makes concealment more difficult.

I also agree that Sig doesn't really make anything that fits in your description of what you want.

The 3 guns that come to my mind would be the H&K P2000sk in .40 caliber, the Colt Defender or the Kahr P45.

I suggest the P2000sk because it resembles the G30 in having a polymer frame, double action only trigger, about 10 round capacity and a caliber that is equivalent to .45 in stopping power, if you pick the right ammo. It is also equal to the G30 in reliability but maybe slightly easier to conceal. I believe the P2000sk has a much more comfortable grip and trigger than the G30.

The Colt Defender is the best of the 3 inch 1911s and is very thin and concealable. It holds 7+1 rounds and weighs about 25 ounces empty. I have one and it has been very reliable about feeding and extracting different types of .45 ammo. You have to put thin grip panels on the gun to take full advantage of its thin profile, which is about 0.9 inches in the slide and 1.0 inches in the grip.
    My Colt Defender

Finally the Kahr P45 is a new gun on the market that weighs about 20.5 ounces and gives you 6+1 rounds of .45 capacity. It is quite thin and concealable with a polymer frame.
    Last edited by pogo2; October 3rd, 2006 at 10:47 AM.

Sig doesn't currently make a comparable 45. But the 239 is similar in size to the 26. I compared the 26 I used to have side by side with my uncle 239. 26 is slightly shorter in height and length. 239 is slightly thinner. And the 239 is offered in 40 and 357Sig.

But if you go with a 40 or 357Sig subcompact Glock you will be able to use the same holsters. And you are already comfortable with the platform. The Kahr P45 is an incredible small 45, though I can't comment on performance b/c I haven't fired one.

How about the G36? You seem to like the Glock platform (as do I) and it gives you the .45 caliber but in a slimline model that eliminates the drawback of having to conceal the "thick" handled G30. Ammo capacity would be equal to most 1911's.

My G36 is my primary CCW and I love it. Very easy to conceal.

The glock 30 is a great choice. Try renting one at the range and see how comfortable you are with it. Warning: Love at first night sights

How about the G27 in .40? If you're comfortable with your 26 then you won't have to worry about different ergonomics or controls.

Don't let what sounds like a mag problem chase you away from a Springer either. Their factory mags do tend to leave a bit to be desired. If you decide to go the route of a 1911, keep your factory mags, they are good for the range. If you decide to carry this peice, pick up a few Chip Mccormick or Wilson magazines. These are quality pieces, and replacement springs are readily avaliable from both companies.

Nothing wrong with a Glock...if that's what you like. Not my first choice, but still a functional, relaible gun.

Check out the Taurus Mellenium or 24/7 line. They are compact little packages and not a bad gun at all. I wasn't impressed with them enough to buy one, but they are competent little guns.

food for thought;

Taurus Millennium PT145 PRO.

So far (600-700rds.) mine has been 100%. It should be just what you are looking for and for less than $350.00.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by DRGLOCK30 View Post
    The glock 30 is a great choice. Try renting one at the range and see how comfortable you are with it. Warning: Love at first night sights
    I wish our range had something to rent other than a Beretta 380 and an old ruger wheel gun. They have 0 of the new concealable semi-autos
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

I never was really into glocks because of my experience with a G27. I didn't like the kick and wanted more control.Because of the G27 I hated Glocks. Then a buddy of mine introduced me to the G30. He liked it so much he even bought one for me. Now I know why he likes. I never leave home without it now.....all my other pistols are jealous

DRGLOCK30, you must have some pretty good friends.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You might want to check out the Springfield Armory XD 45 Service model. It's concealable, and has all of the features of the Glock plus more. Polymer frame, good grip angle, a similar trigger safety mechanism, a grip safety. an both a loaded chamber and a striker cocked indicator, both of which can be verified by touch. I love mine, as I've posted many times. And now that cooler weather is here in Vegas, on weekends I can wear my 5.11 vest as a cover garment, so I can carry something other than my Glock 26.

May I Suggest...

the Glock-36...for a little thinner grip?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll second the P2000sk, I love mine. It may even be my new favorite (in competition with 2 1911s, a Glock a P99 and a kel-tec)
    Pretty comparable in size to a G26 but a little thinner in the grip. LEM trigger takes some getting used to...especially for a 1911 shooter...

you also might wanna check out the glock 39 GAP. I have the G38 and absolutley LOVE it!!!! I would definitely recommend staying away from the G27 (no disrespect to you G27 owners), but its way too jumpy for my likes. My 26 w/hydrshocks or gold dots does just fine. =) But if I were to make a caliber jump with optimal concealment, especially after falling madly in love with my 38, I would take a long hard look ot the 39 (not to mention that all of your current holsters would still apply!). Good Luck!
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

Links