What do you think of Sig Sauer?

This is a discussion on What do you think of Sig Sauer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of buying one of these. What do you guys think of their guns in general?...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What do you think of Sig Sauer?

I am thinking of buying one of these. What do you guys think of their guns in general?

VIP Member
    Love them! The elites are top notch.
    Dan_the_man and ntorchia like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

JRW
    I've owned several Sig models in the past. Very accurate and fit and finish were top notch. Unfortunately, their slide lock is too far to the rear for my grip (thumbs forward) and I would routinely either unintentionally lock the slide back prematurely or cause it to not lock back after the last round. Figured it would be easier to sell them and get another brand instead of changing the way I've been shooting all these years. Great guns though.

The most accurate out-of-the-box .45 I own is a Sig 220.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I own the P226, the P229 and the P239, all in 9mm. I like them all but the P229 is my favorite since it fits my hand the best. The accuracy is amazing. The enhanced elites are sweet to shoot but be careful. You can accidentally fire off bullets down range because of the short reset trigger (SRT). If you get the DA/SA trigger, then I would suggest you practice a lot of dry firing to break in the trigger and to get used to the DA pull. I actually shoot better DA than SA! Good luck with your sig.
    Philly Boy and Curzyk like this.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Great weapons however most are way too heavy and thick for my CC needs.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I have three--229, 238 and Nightmare Carry 1911. All three are fantastic. The 238 and 1911 are new and so far no troubles. The 229 I have had since 2000 and never a single hiccup. I would definitely buy another. (1911 Ultra and 938, to be specific :) )

I will say after shooting the two new guns, I am becoming a SA convert, but the 229 is still a trusted buddy and I used it for my first attempt at IDPA last weekend.

They have taken some knocks for their recent quality Assurance... Generally their quality is good... They are heavy... And they have a VERY high bore axis with will lead to more felt recoil compared to other pistols like Glocks XD'S and m&p's with a very low bore axis.

Edit: I also wanted to add their polymer models have not gained a lot of following... I think one was developed for pistol trials but failed (the p250 I think) so in my opinion the only sigs worth having are the steel framed p series but with that you are getting large beefy guns for the given capacity. Oh and they are EXPENSIVE!

If you want a gun that has consistent trigger pull from first shot to subsequent shots, lower recoil, better ergonomics lighter weight, higher capacity and equal or better reliability for half the price, buy an M&P or a glock... I'm partial to the m&p myself.

Sigs are great duty weapons. Or for fun at the range. They are very easy to shoot accurately and their bulk make recoil easy. I think the aluminum grips are superior to stock. The srt is nice but I'm on the fence on that considering the
    Stock trigger is fine.

I have a P220, a P239, and a SP2022 and have never had an issue with any of them. Quality firearms, and very accurate right out of the box.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I have a P226 with e grips in 9 and with a 40 exchange kit. Truly a premium handgun. In the colder weather months I cc in an old faithful IWB hybrid holster with no problem. For the rest of the year it's a great home defense and range gun.
    .XX likes this.

Sigs are GREAT guns.

I have several with thousands of rds thru each flawlessly.
    As far as recoil almost is none I carry a p220 45 acp the most and the thing is almost like shooting a 22.
    Less recoil then the 1911's I carry at times.
    You can't go wrong with a sig, they are spendy gut in my opinion well worth it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    They have taken some knocks for their recent quality Assurance... Generally their quality is good... They are heavy... And they have a VERY high bore axis with will lead to more felt recoil compared to other pistols like Glocks XD'S and m&p's with a very low bore axis.

Edit: I also wanted to add their polymer models have not gained a lot of following... I think one was developed for pistol trials but failed (the p250 I think) so in my opinion the only sigs worth having are the steel framed p series but with that you are getting large beefy guns for the given capacity. Oh and they are EXPENSIVE!

If you want a gun that has consistent trigger pull from first shot to subsequent shots, lower recoil, better ergonomics lighter weight, higher capacity and equal or better reliability for half the price, buy an M&P or a glock... I'm partial to the m&p myself.

^^^^^^^^^The 2022 was developed with the French Government in mind

Colombia: The Colombian National Police purchased several thousand SP2009 pistols. A quantity of 55,890 SP2022 pistols was also purchased recently.[4]
    France: In 2003, French law enforcement and internal security agencies (including the National Gendarmerie, National Police and French Customs) adopted the model SP 2022 in 9x19mm Parabellum to replace the PAMAS and several other pistols in service. Over 250,000 of the SP 2022 were acquired in what would be the largest single order for service handguns since World War II.[5]
    Malaysia: Estimated some 2,000 SP2022 pistols were purchased by Royal Malaysia Police for use by special elite units.[6]
    Portugal: SIG Pro SP 2022 is used by the Republican National Guard and Public Security Police.[7][6]
    Switzerland: The SIG Pro is used by the Swiss Military Police (as the Pistole 03).[8][6] The weapon is also used by some state police departments.[citation

SIG Sauer Pro series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other series pistols (220,229,239,226 ETC) are fine weapons, but somewhat on the pricey side, rivaling HK in price.

The 2022 & 2340 can be had for $400 or so, and the P250, while a nice firearm can be had for under $400.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Sig is one of the premier gun makers out there. Hard to beat them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Excellent weapons! I carry a P250 in 9mm and my wife just bought a P238 in .380. Love them both...
    foxytwo likes this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links