Exploring My Options

This is a discussion on Exploring My Options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently just have a LCP. It is a good gun and I have not had any issues with it so far after putting about ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Luis50
  • 1 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy

Thread: Exploring My Options

Exploring My Options

I currently just have a LCP. It is a good gun and I have not had any issues with it so far after putting about 400 rounds through it. After carrying the gun the past 2 months and shooting it during that time, I realized I want something a little bigger both caliber wise and in physical size. Lately, I've been researching a lot of 9mm single stack semi-autos and that is what I'm going to want to get for my next gun. Now the question is, which SS 9mm to get?

The LC9 is at the top of my list right now mainly because of how much I like the LCP. I have also taken a look at the S&W Shield 9 and the Kahr CW9. The range that I go to has a good selection of guns to rent and I know the LC9 is on the list. I might also have to consider renting a Glock 26 and Ruger SR9c.

Any feedback about my list would be appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

You are lucky to have rentals at your disposal. Use that source. The market is flooded with very good firearms that fit what you are looking for including the ones you've listed. Be patient and enjoy the search.
    sioux565 likes this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

well, I'll just muddy up the waters for ya some more. I would include the Kahr CM9 in your search, too. 7 rounds of 9mm in such a small package is tough to beat. Sweet little gun after you break it in
    properly and become accustomed to its long, smooth revolver like trigger. If you pocket carry, the CM9 is do-able. CW9 is probably too big for the pocket. Both are reliable and accurate enough for social work intended. My EDC is a Glock 26. Best concealed carry weapon on the planet IMO. The SR9C is a great pistol.....except: Loaded chamber indicator, manual safety that snags on EVERYTHING, and magazine disconnect. These things may be no big deal to you, but they make me crazy. My SR9C is going to my daughter when she turns 21. I have a couple of Keltec PF-9's that have been perfect for me so far, so no reason to look at the LC9 which is just Rugers copy of the Keltec. The Shield would be an excellent choice, too.....but I think there are better options available until the lofty prices of the Shield come back down to earth. My Bersa BP 9CC smokes the Shield in about every category, and is one of my most often carried single stacks....and about $100 less than the Shield. BP9CC also has a mag disconnect, but I don't seem to mind with a gun I like.

CM9 vs LCP

CW9 and CM9

Bersa BP 9CC and Kahr CW9
    sioux565 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You should look at these:
    Sig P938
    Springfield XDs
    Walther PPS
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I've been taking a look at the Sig P938 a lot lately. Not sure if I would like that kind of gun being a mini 1911 style with SA and that size grip.

The view from an old curmudgeon...

I continue to be amused that so many folks nowadays start with small guns, then move up in size and caliber. A generation ago, most of us started out with big guns, then sought out progressively smaller pieces. More than anything else, I think this illustrates both the expansion of right-to-carry laws, and the move of the gun makers to fill the "popular" maket niche.
    sioux565 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The view from an old curmudgeon...

I continue to be amused that so many folks nowadays start with small guns, then move up in size and caliber. A generation ago, most of us started out with big guns, then sought out progressively smaller pieces. More than anything else, I think this illustrates both the expansion of right-to-carry laws, and the move of the gun makers to fill the "popular" maket niche.
    I see your point. While I am young and very new to the gun market, it was clear as day when I was shopping for my first gun that the LCP was recommended much more than say the SR9 or a Glock or another gun that was bigger in both physical size and caliber. I like a smaller gun for the sake of concealment and that is why I hope to stay with a single stack gun. I have tried carrying a full size gun before. Last week I carried my dad's Glock 22 around the house for an hour in his CB super tuck and I could not wait to take the thing off! If felt like a brick was wedged between my pants. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with being so used to carrying my LCP, but it was very uncomfortable and that makes me leery of carrying a G26.

If I have to wait a few months to make up my mind, I am fine with that. My LCP has treated me great to date. Heck, if I can't find a 9mm that I like, I'll just stick with my LCP and might carry around an extra mag with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far!

I've been taking a look at the Sig P938 a lot lately. Not sure if I would like that kind of gun being a mini 1911 style with SA and that size grip.
    I wasn't entirely comfortable with the 6 round mag but with the 7 round mag the grip has a totally different feel...I am much more comfortable with the little grip extender. It didn't take me long at all to get comfortable with the SAO.
    sioux565 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I wasn't entirely comfortable with the 6 round mag but with the 7 round mag the grip has a totally different feel...I am much more comfortable with the little grip extender. It didn't take me long at all to get comfortable with the SAO.
    I hope I don't have a liking for the Sig's because of how nice they look, but rather because they are actually good guns.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I see your point. While I am young and very new to the gun market, it was clear as day when I was shopping for my first gun that the LCP was recommended much more than say the SR9 or a Glock or another gun that was bigger in both physical size and caliber. I like a smaller gun for the sake of concealment and that is why I hope to stay with a single stack gun. I have tried carrying a full size gun before. Last week I carried my dad's Glock 22 around the house for an hour in his CB super tuck and I could not wait to take the thing off! If felt like a brick was wedged between my pants. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with being so used to carrying my LCP, but it was very uncomfortable and that makes me leery of carrying a G26.
    I guess a full-size 1911 or Sig 220 would really make you hate carrying a gun! That's where I started out, adding a J-frame snub as my "small" gun for pocket carry.

If you're OK with belt carry (either inside or outside the waist band), the Kahr CW9 (P9) is awfully compact for a 7+1 package - I think it's worth a good look.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Since you mention "slim " guns to the most part...... S&W M&P. M&P - Smith & Wesson
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links