I've finally arrived ... at one gun - Page 2

I've finally arrived ... at one gun

This is a discussion on I've finally arrived ... at one gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I too have simplified, however I like to have *one* more carry pistol just in case the other is in the shop or something....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I've finally arrived ... at one gun

I too have simplified, however I like to have *one* more carry pistol just in case the other is in the shop or something.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I am a minimalist by nature so I understand what you went through. When I decided to make a gun purchase, I look at it from the point of view of "can this gun do more than 1 thing". When I wanted a hunting rifle, I also used the rational that the hunting rifle can also be a defensive rifle if need be. Hence the lever action 30/30. Can do both in a pinch. Also, when I was looking for a defensive handgun, I looked at 1 handgun that I could carry, use as home defense, plink etc..
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

62 is WAY too early to cut down to one gun,ain't it?! I'm now at the "ripe" age of 74 and have trimmed down to four guns and soon may be just three guns. Just can't seem to see when I would ever go to one gun: my Walther P22 is the only gun that is still with me from the start and can't believe I would ever get rid of it. then there's my M&P pro Series 9mm that is a real keeper. And on it goes. But, who knows? maybe one day I'll see the light--- and it will be fading!-- and go to one gun: but which one!
    Good for you and be happy!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Sounds like good reasoning. I will be putting my LC9 in the safe and change over to the G-26 as it gets cooler out. I like to carry it in a shoulder rig with a light jacket or sweater on. For what ever reason the waistline gets tighter this time of year.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Thinking a Glock 26 for carry and a Glock 19 with a couple of those monster mags for home. Then all I have to do is order one type of ammo in bushel basket amounts. Might have to get a 2nd model 26 for my wife. Must be something in the OFWG gene that causes these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    ... I do think I can shave 15 seconds off my IDPA Classifier score in SSP and make Expert.

Not only would that accomplishment give me increased self confidence when I carry and/or compete, but it would demonstrate a serious effort to achieve a high level of proficiency and accuracy in a court of law should I ever need to defend myself following a righteous self-defense shooting.
    Or, the prosecutor could state; "Mr. 1gunsnowbird trains and competes in shooting matches firing at human form targets. He is formally classified as an expert at doing this. He is obviously a trained killer." :-)

Good observation chasbo - I recognize the tongue-in-cheek humor of your message. Actually, I've queried Ayoob about IDPA shooting as part of a court room defense and he was VERY positive about that course of action. It's still the closest thing I've found to real-world scenarios with no one shooting back. IPSC is a close second, but I like the way IDPA stresses finding and using cover, not changing positions until you are re-loaded, tactical reloads when you've still got rounds in the magazine, etc. One of my shooting buddies is a retired Border Patrol Agent and he has stressed to me on more than one occasion that finding cover has been a critical part of his lifestyle in a dangerous career.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Glad you've picked a caliber and pistol you like snowbird. Congrats. :)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

My view is that if you were legally authorized to use deadly force in a defensive shooting, then you should come out OK in court - no guarantees though. Knowing the state laws regarding the use of deadly force is what is really important - not type ammo, trigger pull weight, training level, or any number of other factors that folks love to mention as possibly affecting the outcome of a defensive shooting trial.

Good luck in your quest to make expert class in IDPA with the Glock 26 (qualifies as a BUG too in IDPA if I remember correctly) 1gunsnowbird - that's a worthy goal.

Re: I've finally arrived ... at one gun

I think that is the article I read also, and I believe it. I shoot my G26 a lot more accurately than my G19.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I drank the Kool-Aid - I love all Glocks. I agree with what was said earlier in this thread, that different dress and settings can require different carry choices. When I do carry a Glock, it's a 19. At 6'2" 225, concealing the 19 is just as easy for me as a 26. So it does depend on your size and dress.

What's good, is whatever works for you.

I'm a bit older than you are, and not about to give any of them up,.... I still enjoy shooting them all, and still considering adding to the pile. I also alternate what I carry, etc. and like the flexibility. But, that's what works for me.

But, there is absolutely nothing wrong what-so-ever to picking the 'one' gun you like and keeping it to that gun, as long as it's one you like and works for what you need it for.
    You sure don't have to explain or justify that to anyone else.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Well congrads on your sad affair, for me it's like loosing a best friend any time I sell a gun, I'm more like a women who has a different pair of shoes with every outfit, except for me it'sGuns 033_2.JPG a different gun for every outfit....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I only have one gun- it's the G26 and I love it! I just need a couple more 9mm's, plus a .380! Of course, all those are just going to be backup/alternate carry guns.
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links