Had Some Fun Renting Guns!

This is a discussion on Had Some Fun Renting Guns! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the day off from work today and had a few guns that I wanted to rent from the LGS, so I went ahead ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: Had Some Fun Renting Guns!

Had Some Fun Renting Guns!

I had the day off from work today and had a few guns that I wanted to rent from the LGS, so I went ahead and had a blast!

I rented the LC9 and Glock 26 Gen 4. Right before I left I handled the Springfield XD-S 45, but didn't shoot it. I shot the LC9 first and put about 50 rounds through it. Coming from shooting my LCP, the gun felt very similar in my hand which is a plus. The trigger felt smoother than my LCP, but seemed like it had the same pull. I don't mind the long trigger pull on my LCP, so the same pull on the LC9 was not a turn off. The muzzle flip on the LC9 was much greater compared to the G26. The sights on the G26 were more defiant and visible when shooting. The one thing that I didn't like about the G26 was the width of the gun. I have average sized hands, but I felt like I struggled to get a good grip on the gun.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the LC9.

But then the guy behind the counter had to tell me that they just got a shipment in of the XD-S 45's. I handled one for a minute and the thing both felt great in my hand and looked great. I have been looking to get a slim 9mm to replace my LCP, but I may have to reconsider wanting a 9mm after seeing the XD-S.

One last thing, I asked the salesmen what else he recommended for a slim 9mm and he said if price didn't matter that the Sig P938 was the top slim 9 he would recommend.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    One last thing, I asked the salesmen what else he recommended for a slim 9mm and he said if price didn't matter that the Sig P938 was the top slim 9 he would recommend.
    Glad you had fun, I love shooting different guns too. But I disagree with the above comment. The M&P Shield is on top of that list IMO.
    accessbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Glad you had fun, I love shooting different guns too. But I disagree with the above comment. The M&P Shield is on top of that list IMO.
    I wish the shop I was at had the Shield in stock. They said they haven't received any in months.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    They said they haven't received any in months.
    Exactly. That should say something about the quality of the gun. Besides that, the Shield is $450ish and the Sig is $650ish.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    That should say something about the quality of the gun.
    That's why I was hoping they had one in stock just to handle if not rent. While I like the LC9, I feel like I would have liked the Shield 9 better.

What did you think of the XD-S?

It's great you had the opportunity to shoot so many different guns. That's the perfect way to decide what to get. Honestly you couldn't go wrong with any of those mentioned. It just depends on which one you shoot best and is the most comfortable for you.

again, I would look at the Bersa BP 9CC....a real sleeper.

Bersa BP9cc 9mm better than Kahr P9?? - YouTube
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    OP---this may be a state specific issue, but as we have range tests here, what you carry (LCP perhaps) and what you take your
    range test on (or do serious target and competitive shooting with) could be two different weapons.

Sight radius and muzzle flip are big detriments for target work, whereas they are unimportant for close up
    SD.

So make that salesman's day. Get yourself the LC9 for EDC and either a Sig 229 or or maybe a G17 for
    range work.

I don't see why the XD 45 is in the mix. YMMV
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The XDs felt really good in my hand. I didn't shoot it, but I was able to get a good enough grip on it where I couldn't see shooting it a problem. The XDs and LC9 were pretty similar in size. The XDs was about a half an inch longer.

Links