New project, personal gun.

This is a discussion on New project, personal gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ontarget1911 The P40 kit is a barrel, slide and recoil spring and rod. They don't make them anymore. They come up for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New project, personal gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ontarget1911 View Post
    The P40 kit is a barrel, slide and recoil spring and rod. They don't make them anymore. They come up for sale on occasion. The gun that I have came with both calibers. Even in 9MM the gun is a handful, hence the porting and stippling. The .40 is quite a bit snappier. But with the stippling and porting, the gun is really not too bad to shoot. Any of the small pocket guns require almost more practice than the bigger ones. I trained a couple of people including ladies lately that had small .380 pocket/purse guns and both needed a lot of coaching to be able to get consistent hits with the smaller gun. Anytime the gun is light and shoots defensive loads they can be snappy. Same applies to lightweight revolvers shooting .38 +P defensive loads. I normally carry a full size .45 ACP and the weight of that gun along with the larger size just makes it easier to shoot. But they require more fore thought and planning to carry. As we all know, anything with a carry gun is a matter of trade offs. The easier and lighter they are to carry, the more compromises must be weighed. But for deep carry and BUG use, this type of gun can be the ticket. Especially if you consider the price point of the Keltecs.

Jess
    agree. The PF-9 is my regular pocket 9, and at 12 oz is a recoil ride. Also have the Kahr CM40.....yeah, baby. Its my little DRT pocket rocket.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

Ports fire straight up and won't be "back in my face". They are close enough to the front that I would get burned by the muzzle if that was the issue.
    If you are firing from a close retention position, you may indeed get hot gases right in your eyes. Save the porting for competition guns - not for self defense.

You can easily see this yourself - hold the pistol close to your chest. Now look down. Where are those ports pointing?
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 24th, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you are firing from a close retention position, you may indeed get hot gases right in your eyes. Save the porting for competition guns - not for self defense.

You can easily see this yourself - hold the pistol close to your chest. Now look down. Where are those ports pointing?
    What ported guns do you own or have fired in defensive training. Just curious as to the port type and pistol barrel length.
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

What ported guns do you own or have fired in defensive training. Just curious as to the port type and pistol barrel length.
    None. All my handguns are for defensive use (save a .22 revolver).

I don't know what you are getting at. I don't need to have used one to see that the ports will potentially be ejecting gases into your eyes if fired from certain close retention positions.

Of course, if you don't believe me, you can read what other respected trainers have to say on the issue.

Really, you can do whatever you want. You sound like your mind is made up, as evidenced by the fact that you did not answer my question, but instead chose to challenge me. I would just hate for someone else to read your post and think that porting a defensive pistol is a grand idea.

Have fun with your gun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Nice project gun. I agree however, that porting is not ideal on a defensive handgun. And yes, I have shot ported handguns before. Of course, it's your gun and you can do as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Nice project gun. I agree however, that porting is not ideal on a defensive handgun. And yes, I have shot ported handguns before. Of course, it's your gun and you can do as you wish.
    I teach combat pistol and defensive pistol. NRA certified if that matters. And I do talk with and build guns for "top" trainers all the time. I also know that there is a lot of dogma out there in the training circles and if one person hears what they think is a good idea it gets repeated over and over and over and over. No disrespect intended. Just keep in mind this is not my first rodeo. I don't know you, you don't know me. I make a good portion of my "retirement income" building, shooting and teaching defensive pistol. No, my name is not Masaad Aboob or Larry Vickers. But as it is with ALL gun discussions about what gun is best and what tactics are the best, everyone has their own opinion. And yes you are entitled to yours. Man, seems like every forum is going through PMS this month. All I did was post some pics here of a project gun. Most of the time the regulars and forum members are curious about what I am up to and this was not "another" 1911 project. I did not mean this thread to get into a discussion about training techniques, so, how about we get back to the original thread intent and talk about the project and not my "bad" judgement for porting the barrel. If you are curious you can go over to the APW website and see what he thinks about porting the Keltec.

Regards.
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com

Why put so much money, time and effort into a gun that at the end of the day is still a Kel Tec?

Well, to each their own.

And yes, I do have experience with personally owning (and trading away the POS) Kel Tec.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It seems to me, with my only experience with ported barrels being having once shot a g19 with a ported barrel, that there is a very very limited chance of being in a position where the exhausted gasses would pose any kind of danger to the user (not saying that it couldnt happen, just not likely). Anyway IMO the benefits of gaining as much control as possible of a pocket pistol with a .40 conversion far outstrip the negatives. Also I think you did a nice professional job with the stippling, definitely have seen some hack jobs and thats not the case with yours. I like it!

Thanks. I have no reason to believe that the Keltec is a POS. It is NOT a 3K custom 1911. Why do I do this and "spend money on a Keltec?" Because I can and don't have to pay myself to do it. And as I said, this is a project gun and personal gun and I am willing to explore the potential. If you only spend about $200-$250 on one of these, then perhaps there is some room in the budget for some work to make it better. I have spent a TON of time on other customs and just for diversions sake wanted to see what could be done to this gun. Also as I said, with carry and defensive guns, there will always be LOTS of opinions on what to carry and what you should and should not do. I personally carry 1911s, M&Ps, HiPowers, Rugers and Glocks. I also have been known to carry S&W revolvers as well as Taurus. I work on them all. I can make personal taste and function mods to them all. It is all in what you want to carry and what you would like changed. I have not met a gun yet in the 20-30 years I have been carrying and working on guns that could not use some enhancement and personalization. That is what I do. And not everyone likes everything everybody else does. Personal choice and taste is what makes this type of gun and discussion interesting.

VIP Member
    Nice job on your P11. I have a P11 and I have always been happy with it. The only draw back is the long trigger pull. I use my as my car gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I teach combat pistol and defensive pistol. NRA certified if that matters. And I do talk with and build guns for "top" trainers all the time. I also know that there is a lot of dogma out there in the training circles and if one person hears what they think is a good idea it gets repeated over and over and over and over. No disrespect intended. Just keep in mind this is not my first rodeo. I don't know you, you don't know me. I make a good portion of my "retirement income" building, shooting and teaching defensive pistol. No, my name is not Masaad Aboob or Larry Vickers. But as it is with ALL gun discussions about what gun is best and what tactics are the best, everyone has their own opinion. And yes you are entitled to yours. Man, seems like every forum is going through PMS this month. All I did was post some pics here of a project gun. Most of the time the regulars and forum members are curious about what I am up to and this was not "another" 1911 project. I did not mean this thread to get into a discussion about training techniques, so, how about we get back to the original thread intent and talk about the project and not my "bad" judgement for porting the barrel. If you are curious you can go over to the APW website and see what he thinks about porting the Keltec.

Regards.
    Not sure why you feel you need to defend your credentials to me. I simply gave my opinion, which, as you so graciously affirmed, everyone is entitled to. I meant no personal offense, and I don't believe I came across that way. If you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Heres my take if all you have is time invested then good deal if it makes the gun shoot and handle better for faster more accurate shots then that is the intent of a good SD gun,I own a P11 9mm and use it when I need something smaller than my 1911,the trigger is long and gun kinda snappy,now being a consumer for what the gun is worth,if I had to pay to have the work done I better plan on keeping it since even with the upgrades at the end of the day it's a P11 and you won't get your money back unless you know somebody that is willing to pay for a better trigger.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't think I will port my Sig p238 but I have noticed that my second shot of a double tap is about five inches higher than the first. This can be less with the longer magazine and two handed grip and worse with the single off handed grip and short magazine. I carry with the longer magazine because it is easier to draw the p238 from the holster. I hate to open up another can of worms but I like the cross draw holster. :-)
    Last edited by Lindy1933; October 25th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

would love to see a night video of the ported P11/40 shooting a mag or two. Sorry, but I was born a firebug, and enjoy a good light show at night.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Why put so much money, time and effort into a gun that at the end of the day is still a Kel Tec?

Well, to each their own.

And yes, I do have experience with personally owning (and trading away the POS) Kel Tec.
    I was thinking the same thing. No disrespect intended, if you like it that's all that matters. I just can't see putting so much time and effort into something that was so cheap to begin with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links