New project, personal gun.

This is a discussion on New project, personal gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keltec P11/40. Basic 9MM with .40 conversion. Is stippled, ported, trigger work. Will get duracoated in some kinda camo colors. Just seeing what potential this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New project, personal gun.

Keltec P11/40. Basic 9MM with .40 conversion. Is stippled, ported, trigger work. Will get duracoated in some kinda camo colors. Just seeing what potential this gun has. Stippling really helped get it under control and the porting reduced muzzle flip significantly for shot to shot recovery. Just cold blued the slide for now.

Jess
    Attached Images
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Nice work. Be sure and post a pic when you get it duracoated. Kel-tecs are kinda neat little guns. I have the p-32 and really like it for what it is.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    You'll be blind at night after your first shot with the ported barrel. Good luck.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Does this gun have a specific role in your line up?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    You'll be blind at night after your first shot with the ported barrel. Good luck.
    That's what I used to think too. Reality is with defensive loads in a short barreled gun the muzzle flash is much greater than the small flash from the port. Have you tried a ported gun at night? I shot this one before and after the porting in low light and the shot to shot recovery is much better with hardly any increase in "blindness". Try shooting any short barreled gun in low light with hot loads, you will see what I mean.

Jess
    BurgerBoy and zonker1986 like this.
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Does this gun have a specific role in your line up?
    Probably BUG and a quicky grab when heading out to the 7-11. Also deep carry or warm weather. All the reasons to carry a "pocket" gun.

Jess

Night blindness isn't the issue with ports on a defensive pistol.

The problem is when the BG is right up on you and your pistol is aimed say up at him, and now the ports are aiming at your face; or maybe you have to fire from the hip or from retention close to the chest/arm pit, and now have expanding, hot gas being directed at your person.

Looks nice though. :)
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Ports fire straight up and won't be "back in my face". They are close enough to the front that I would get burned by the muzzle if that was the issue.

Wonder what the ratio of ported and not ported that glock sells. Myself never seen a ported factory glock carried by anyone.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I have a couple of P11's that I carry in an ankle holster. Not the most pleasant range gun, but they have never failed to go bang. Keltec used to offer the P40 in their lineup
    but discontinued it a while ago. What is required to convert a P11 to a 40? That would definitely be an outstanding back up weapon.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

P40

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I have a couple of P11's that I carry in an ankle holster. Not the most pleasant range gun, but they have never failed to go bang. Keltec used to offer the P40 in their lineup
    but discontinued it a while ago. What is required to convert a P11 to a 40? That would definitely be an outstanding back up weapon.
    The P40 kit is a barrel, slide and recoil spring and rod. They don't make them anymore. They come up for sale on occasion. The gun that I have came with both calibers. Even in 9MM the gun is a handful, hence the porting and stippling. The .40 is quite a bit snappier. But with the stippling and porting, the gun is really not too bad to shoot. Any of the small pocket guns require almost more practice than the bigger ones. I trained a couple of people including ladies lately that had small .380 pocket/purse guns and both needed a lot of coaching to be able to get consistent hits with the smaller gun. Anytime the gun is light and shoots defensive loads they can be snappy. Same applies to lightweight revolvers shooting .38 +P defensive loads. I normally carry a full size .45 ACP and the weight of that gun along with the larger size just makes it easier to shoot. But they require more fore thought and planning to carry. As we all know, anything with a carry gun is a matter of trade offs. The easier and lighter they are to carry, the more compromises must be weighed. But for deep carry and BUG use, this type of gun can be the ticket. Especially if you consider the price point of the Keltecs.

Jess

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Wow that is really nice work there !!! Thanks for sharing with us. God Bless

Oh yeah, did a 45 degree target crown. Forgot about that.

Jess

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A license should be required to buy soldering pencils and wood burning kits. Just saying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Just saying what? If you don't like stippling, cool. No need to degrade the work. Commonly done on a lot of different guns and there is a lot more to it than just burning some dimples into a plastic gun. Have done dozens of Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, STI and others. It can be done well and it can easily be screwed up as well. Some like it and some don't. Fact is that it works and I will take things that work and enhance the shoot-ability and control-ability over just eye candy any day. Some of the most usable "enhancements" to competition and carry guns don't look purty to everyone, but fact is that it works. And takes some skill and time to do right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links