Replacement for LCP

This is a discussion on Replacement for LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a 380 I also would say the tcp 380 . best 380 trigger of any of them at a less than 5lb pull weight. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Replacement for LCP

For a 380 I also would say the tcp 380 . best 380 trigger of any of them at a less than 5lb pull weight. . For a 9mm look at the cmor pm9 for the smaller model. Both are cheaper than the sigs with smoother lighter trigger pulls. Some say the nano is a pocket pistol but at 17oz??? have to see for your self. For get the taurus ul look at some of the many used s&w airweights for a revolver.

I pocket carry a cm9 with 380 as a when nothing else works pistol. cw9 for when iwb is best.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    I've heard good things about the M&P Shield in 9MM or .40 S&W. It's hard to get & I don't know if that's due to production, demand or both.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Another vote here for the LCR.

I started carrying with an LCP. I still use it on the occassion where the LCR is too big for certain pants' pockets but I love the simplicity and reliability of a revolver.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    How about a Sig P238 in .380 caliber? I have been reading reviews of these and they tend to be positive. I actually have one on order myself. Evidently it conceals well in a pocket, and weighs less than 15 ounces. The trigger won't be heavy, as the gun is single action with a thumb safety.

I am considering this Sig for CCW or S&W Bodyguard. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Replacement for LCP

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Lightweight J-frame, or Kahr CW9.
    Kahr CW9 is much too large, I'd have an easier time concealing my G27. I have issues with the position I carry and full sized grips (ones I can get my pinky on) which is why I'm looking for something similar in size to the LCP. I could conceal something about as large as an LC9 and have it disappear and not feel like I was printing regardless of attire.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

For .380, if you like DA/SA, go with the Bersa Thunder. For SA only, Colt Mustang or Sig 238. DA only, Taurus 738.

For 9mm -- way too many choices, but I like Walther PPS, Glock 26, Kahr CM9.

I recently switched from a P238 to a Kahr CM9 for CC. They are both fantastic guns, but i wanted to move to 9mm. Very happy with the Kahr to far, and it's not appreciably larger than the P238. Certainly doesn't weigh any more. The CM9 is very reasonably priced for what it is- a simple, effective tool for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal1911 View Post
    For a few reasons I am looking to find a replacement for my LCP. I'm looking for something around the same size, maybe slightly larger, semi or revolver, chambered in 380, 9mm or .38spl. No LC9 or PF9 or P11 suggestions. Have had and disliked all three. As it stands I already have a G23 and G23, so I don't need anything as large as the G23.

So far the guns that I am considering are the Taurus 85 ultra-lite and TCP 380, S&W 637 (can't find one in stock anywhere) and bodyguard 380. Also considering the Diamondback 380 and I.O. Inc Hellcat.

Looking for opinions on those considerations and other recommendations. Thank you
    From my personal experience I can recommend the Bodyguard 380 as a good replacement of the LCP; it has better sights and slightly larger grip. I can also recommend any S&W J-frame, although for CC I prefer one with a shrouded or internal hammer such as a 638 or 642. The 637's hammer could get caught on clothing when drawing from concealment. I really like my M&P Shield 9mm, but it's quite a bit bigger than an LCP or a J-frame. Happy hunting.
    iblearning likes this.

full metal 1911 Not sure where you found a cw9 bigger than a g26. The glock is thicker, longer, heavier and only in the grip is it shorter by 7/16" in grip hieght. I ain't a small guy an with plenty of spare tire and easily iwb on my front side straight up and down at a 2:15 position and setting is know problem. When you say you can carry something like a LC9!! better. You should again look at the size difference. The kahr cw9 is shorter, same width and height and weight is only .4oz different. Someones kinda corn -fuzed

VIP Member

Re: Replacement for LCP

I personally haven't had one problem with my Taurus ultralite .38 at all and would recommend it without concern.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    full metal 1911 Not sure where you found a cw9 bigger than a g26. The glock is thicker, longer, heavier and only in the grip is it shorter by 7/16" in grip hieght. I ain't a small guy an with plenty of spare tire and easily iwb on my front side straight up and down at a 2:15 position and setting is know problem. When you say you can carry something like a LC9!! better. You should again look at the size difference. The kahr cw9 is shorter, same width and height and weight is only .4oz different. Someones kinda corn -fuzed
    I think another Kahr fanboy is upset that someone dislikes the design and aesthetics of a gun they adore...

Only speaking from my personal experience. My issue wasnt the width of the gun its the longer grip and that stupid pinky extension Kahr sticks on the magazines for it. With my G27 I can IWB in a N82 tactical holster and not print, with a CW9 in a N82 tactical holster the rear of the grip would poke against my shirt and leave a noticeable outline. So why would I carry a gun that is harder to conceal and shoots a less powerful cartridge than my G27. The purpose of this thread is to find a replacement for my deep concealment gun, that can be carried in ANY clothing without being noticed. Quite frankly the CW9 is not just much larger than the LCP its slightly larger than the LC9. It just plain doesn't fit what I am looking for, I've owned one, hated it, and will probably never buy another Kahr.

As for the other suggestions, I think I am narrowed down to the DB380, the Taurus TCP 380 and the S&W Bodyguard. There is a guy locally selling a TCP with 3 mags and a holster for $250, and a few shops have the DB380 from $320-340, and the Bodyguard from $350-375. The bodyguard is on the high end of what I want to spend on a pocket-carry/backup gun, but the built in laser kept it in the running. The low cost and general good reviews have the TCP on the list, but, even though it has better sights than the LCP I am less than thrilled about them. The DB380 is more than likely to be the choice I make. The similarities to the designs of a Glock, (supposedly they were designed from Glock blueprints) the fact that it has usable sights and the affordable price make it the front runner. I will be hitting a few shops this weekend, I know of one that will allow me to test the triggers with snap caps, and go from there.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    How about a Sig P238 in .380 caliber? I have been reading reviews of these and they tend to be positive. I actually have one on order myself. Evidently it conceals well in a pocket, and weighs less than 15 ounces. The trigger won't be heavy, as the gun is single action with a thumb safety.

^^^

I test fired an LCP, Bodyguard, Shield, PPK in 380 and a P238 a few months ago. I bought the Sig.
    I did not like the LCP at all, the Bodyguard was a small improvement, the Shield was nicer, the PPK was unremarkable and I loved the 238.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Sig P938.
    This is on my wish list but I have heard of troubles with the extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Double0Seven View Post
    I am considering this Sig for CCW or S&W Bodyguard. Haven't made up my mind yet.
    I liked the trigger on the Sig better, and it felt nicer in my hand than the Bodyguard. I'm not an expert and can't break it down into anything more specific than that. The Bodyguard wasn't bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    ^^^

I test fired an LCP, Bodyguard, Shield, PPK in 380 and a P238 a few months ago. I bought the Sig.
    I did not like the LCP at all, the Bodyguard was a small improvement, the Shield was nicer, the PPK was unremarkable and I loved the 238.

This is on my wish list but I have heard of troubles with the extractor?

I liked the trigger on the Sig better, and it felt nicer in my hand than the Bodyguard. I'm not an expert and can't break it down into anything more specific than that. The Bodyguard wasn't bad though.
    I've had no issues with my Sig P938. It is an awesome little gun.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Nobody else suggested it, but I have a Berretta Nano which has a lot to say for itself.

No fan boy here brite boy . You may not realize 5 minutes with a small file will straighten up the "stupid" finger extention as you say. Just don't think much of glocks little thick heavy brick. I had the glock 27 and hated it. Love shooting the larger model as far as shooting goes. Just sold a g17. I'm a tucked in t-shirt guy and no matter what that thick arssed pistol grip and frame is harder to hid under a t shirt .

Oh and your whinning about why would you carry a 9mm when you have a 40!! Then write about wanting a 9mm DB9.. Are you fickled?? Guess its good we have so many choice . Just had to reply to a guy that surely did not have both at the same time to really see the size difference or did not try different positions to carry. Or atleast be open to how easy it is to change carry possition with a pistol thats thin. And with the foolish remark about the ruger lc9 being better to conceal that a cw9 or 40 kahr ,hahehehaha

See which model taurus it is for sale. I picked up the very basic tcp 380FS for $185 here for a bug. The rest of the models sell for around 260 to 270 here for the different SS 2 mags models or the Black SS with 2 mags. They do have a really nice smooth light trigger and with a little white paint on the front sight its accurate beyound what I need it for.

nano does have a good small pistol but at 170z it ain't lite. Atleast it does not have the growing pains of some other new models. I think.

Nano at 17oz is not a lite small pistol but it is small and does seem to work well.

Thats a good price on the DB9, just check those serial numbers on the DBforum for the better models and watch out for the earlier one setting around shops.

Which bodyguard, the 380? Good awfull trigger and early model serial numbers EA- something, frames to thin , assemble pin walking out. But a good price on those too and sw will change the frames.

Look at the pf-9. For a 12 to 13oz weight range that sells for 250 to 260 dollar it is a ugly little 9mm ,very thin and concealable pistol and just seems to work well. If you can hang on to it. Nasty little pistol to shot many rounds out of at a time.

I will will watch the DB9 for a while yet. I said would buy my son-in-laws pistols when they get there CC's and thats comeing up. Will not be the db pistols. To soon to say there finally reliable and the guns stores can still be full of older db9's. watch out. For there price they better work well. Better check there forum to see what serial numbers are working and what ain't. Our lgs still has 2 of them from a year + back and guys avoid like the plague. He can't keep the pf-9 in stock. I changed to a kahr after a couple years with a pf-9. Then I was offerd a cw9 for 250 cause it was junk. Great shooting pistol for me, bought the cm9 sold the pf-9. I pocket a cm9. 26 years of CC'n 3 handguns well 4 with both kahrs for a few years now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links