Replacement for LCP

This is a discussion on Replacement for LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a few reasons I am looking to find a replacement for my LCP. I'm looking for something around the same size, maybe slightly larger, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Replacement for LCP

Replacement for LCP

For a few reasons I am looking to find a replacement for my LCP. I'm looking for something around the same size, maybe slightly larger, semi or revolver, chambered in 380, 9mm or .38spl. No LC9 or PF9 or P11 suggestions. Have had and disliked all three. As it stands I already have a G23 and G23, so I don't need anything as large as the G23.

So far the guns that I am considering are the Taurus 85 ultra-lite and TCP 380, S&W 637 (can't find one in stock anywhere) and bodyguard 380. Also considering the Diamondback 380 and I.O. Inc Hellcat.

Looking for opinions on those considerations and other recommendations. Thank you
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Replacement for LCP

Diamondback has had some major firing pin issues. If I remember right, no spring return so the pin can stop sticking out if dry fired which caused issues when loading a new mag and/or chambering a round. I have an uncle that had this happen on multiple occasions. Their customer service more or less said it was a bad design, get used to it. He wasn't very happy.

On that note, I have a buddy that just picked up a bodyguard and seems to like it. But it probably had the heaviest trigger pull I have ever felt.

Sig P238?

How about a Sig P238 in .380 caliber? I have been reading reviews of these and they tend to be positive. I actually have one on order myself. Evidently it conceals well in a pocket, and weighs less than 15 ounces. The trigger won't be heavy, as the gun is single action with a thumb safety.

Diddle likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Replacement for LCP

I have the Taurus 850 UL. It's the one without an exposed hammer. The trigger is a little less than desirable, even for a DA revolver, but you can get used to it. The LCR didn't feel any smaller in size, but a lot lighter weight.

The Taurus .380, I owned for one range trip. It was my first .380 experience and it ruined it for me (till I shot/bought a 238). Could just chalk it up as being a new person to that offering though.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Bersa Thunder CC .380. Really nice little gun.

The second pic is it along with my 442 and PT709, my other small light carry guns, for a size comparison. The Thunder CC is thin and rounded off which makes for easy carry. It isn't as light as my 442, but it shoots really good.

I like my 442 for light weight pocket carry too.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Walther PPK or PPS
    BritishAgent likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Diamondback DB9 is the same size as the LCP but uses a 9mm cartridge. Weighs a little more at 15 ounces fully loaded 6+1. God Bless

Re: Replacement for LCP

My vote is for the LCR or the S&W Shield 9.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    LCR or liteweight J-frame. Either in .38 will suffice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The LCR is a great little revolver.

Lightweight J-frame, or Kahr CW9.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Small semi autos chambered in 9mm tend to be finnicky little beasts - from my own experience and reading these forums for a good number of years.

My solution was to get a Ruger LCR. Not as small as some of the small semi-autos, but very light weight, and much more reliable.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Small semi autos chambered in 9mm tend to be finnicky little beasts - from my own experience and reading these forums for a good number of years.

My solution was to get a Ruger LCR. Not as small as some of the small semi-autos, but very light weight, and much more reliable.

You are correct in the small 9's like the Diamondback DB9 and Kahr PM9 can be very finicky with which ammo they like. Once you find out which rounds, they tend to keep working great. However your suggestion of the LCR, especially the LCR 357 would make an excellent choice as you can use the higher power 357 rounds for SD and the 38 specials for practice and even SD rounds. God Bless

I replaced mine with a Taurus TCP 738 and would never buy an LCP again. Most people will blow off my advice for the Taurus, because it's a Taurus... sucks to be them I guess.

It's a .380 so it is what it is, it shoots better, has less felt recoil and last round slide lock back, and inexpensive... not to mention they make a 10 round magazine for it. :)

Taurus PT 738 TCP .380 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

Sig P938.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links