Walther P99, input please

This is a discussion on Walther P99, input please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend is going to be in the process of getting her concealed carry licence very soon. I have taken her with me to several ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Walther P99, input please

My girlfriend is going to be in the process of getting her concealed carry licence very soon. I have taken her with me to several range trips and has become a gun enthusiast.

I own a M&P9c, its the only handgun I currently own. I used to own a Glock and I'm not a fan of that brand.

She does not like it because of its weight. I have also had her try out many different kinds of handguns at gun shows and shops. None of the S&W's, Glocks, Sigs, Kel Tecs etc will not suffice for her.

Until she held a Walther P99, she likes its weight and ergonomics. I would like to know that if I buy her one, am I getting her a quality gun?

What is the gun's reliabilty?
    what is Walther's customer service like?
    Parts availabiliy? Magazines?

Thank you,

Mike

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've had one for a few years now and I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't had to deal with their Cust. Svc. so I can't speak to that, but you can get parts from several places online. I use the standard Walther magazines and haven't had any troubles with'em. Good gun, but I like my Colt 1911 better for carry, so I usually keep the P99 locked up until range time.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Have her take a look at the Walther PPQ before purchasing.

I would like to know that if I buy her one, am I getting her a quality gun?
    Do not under any circumstances purchase a firearm and give it to her. Let her purchase the firearm herself. Feel free to give her the cash beforehand but please let her actually make the purchase from the dealer.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Very reliable I've never had a misfire or fail to feed. I've never used the customer service or had to buy any replacement parts though.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boomba View Post
    Until she held a Walther P99, she likes its weight and ergonomics. I would like to know that if I buy her one, am I getting her a quality gun?

What is the gun's reliabilty?
    what is Walther's customer service like?
    Parts availabiliy? Magazines?
    Have her try a Walther PPQ, please. I just bought one, myself. The PPQ is amazing. The trigger is as good as a stock gun gets, it's reliable, and superfast for second shot capability. It also shoots a very tight group. The PPQ uses the same slide spring, and mags as the P99. The PPQ is the newer model with similar, though superior ergonomics to the P99 as well. As for magazines, Walther makes a 15 and 17 round in 9mm, and I believe a 13 and 15 round in .40
    In 9mm, you can also get mags from Magnum Research in 15 round, ProMag (yuck) in 15 round, 30 round from National, and 32 round mags from ProMag.
    I personally have two 15 rnd walthers, 3 15 rnd MagRes (magnum research or mag research is made by MecGar, who also makes Walther's name brand mags, so they're the same thing, but $35 instead of $50-60 ea) and I have 1 32rnd ProMag (for fun)

As for CS and parts, it was handled by S&W, however, Walther is building a facility here in teh US due to begin operation in January, and will be taking over their own advertising and marketing, and distribution and CS as of that point, so service should be fantastic.

If she wants a smaller gun for concealed carry, have her try out the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I definitely endorse the P99 for a carry gun, thats of course, Im 5'10, 185 and can shoulder press 165lbs. Keep in mind "Compact" really isnt all that compact when the vast majority of guns that are "compact" weigh around 28 ounces and have a 4" barrel length. Does she really want to lug that much metal around? Take her lifestyle into account. Dont get me wrong, I love the fact that the P99 has great ergonomics, decocker on top of a single action (didnt think it was possible in a striker) but this may a bit too much for a beginning CC'er. I'd have her try a MP shield in 9mm.

I say no to Walther's. My girlfriend's PK380 jams a lot, the P22 is supposed to have the same problem and the PPK even I've heard of similar issues.

The PK380 and P22 sell for under $200 used because no one wants them, I'm biased from experience but...I'd look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I say no to Walther's. My girlfriend's PK380 jams a lot, the P22 is supposed to have the same problem and the PPK even I've heard of similar issues.

The PK380 and P22 sell for under $200 used because no one wants them, I'm biased from experience but...I'd look elsewhere.
    I agree. Nothing good is made in Germany. This upstart company, Walther, needs to get their act together and not expect their buyers to be beta testers.

/sarcasm
    BritishAgent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
    I agree. Nothing good is made in Germany. This upstart company, Walther, needs to get their act together and not expect their buyers to be beta testers.

/sarcasm
    I'm not going that far, so hopefully you don't think I think that. I just haven't found any reliable Walther's thus far, and they are sold for a pittance around here.

A few S&W employees I know said they get the Walther's in for problems a lot too, take that for what it's worth.

I believe that neither the PK380 and P22 are actually made by Walther, they’re both produced my Umarex, or at least used to be.

I can’t help you with the P99 question; I’ve got 3 Walther’s, 2 PPQ-9s, and a PPS-9. One of the PPQs has about 5K through it, the other 2K and the PPS a little over 3K, all have been flawless. I’m truly impressed with the Walther polymer pistols. Their quality is 1st rate IMHO.

As others pointed out, the mags are expensive, but for the PPQs the Magnum Research work, and they’re about $32 or so. After market stuff is coming on line with holsters and sight options. The one weakness as I see it is the availability of repair parts. For instance, there’s one guy on the Walther forums that had a trigger spring break after 5K and has to send the pistol in due to lack of parts. That may change now that Walther is discontinuing having S&W as their importer and going it on their own.

While I carry my PPQ IWB, it’s not a small pistol by any means; it’s slightly larger/heavier than a G19. I’m 6’, 175lbs, and a good deal of the time I choose either my PPS or my Baer Stinger, both of which are thinner than the PPQ.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I'm at roughly 3,000 rounds through a PPQ 9mm...

I usually clean it after a range session.

As for reliability, I've not had a single F... be it a failure to feed or a failure to eject, or a failure to impress or a failure to inflict fun on the shooter.

Feels great in the hand (at least my hand) and has an awesome trigger (no guesses... you know when it resets and when it's about to go bang).

Aesthetically, I don't like plastic guns, but from a performance standard this is the one I settled on for carry and competition, and I couldn't be more pleased (ok. I did put Dawson sights on it, and I would love for it to have a full 5 inch barrel for competition purposes)
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I say no to Walthers. My girlfriend's PK380 jams a lot, the P22 is supposed to have the same problem and the PPK even I've heard of similar issues.
    I would say this is comparable to saying, I've heard the Ford Pinto explodes when you hit it from behind, so don't buy a new F150. It must be unreliable," but to say that would make the assumption that both were even made by the same company. Being that you're mixing up Umarex and Walther, it would be more accurate to make the analogy of saying, "I've heard that a 1996 Hyundai Excel is a pile of crap, so don't but an F150 truck."

:)

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I would say this is comparable to saying, I've heard the Ford Pinto explodes when you hit it from behind, so don't buy a new F150. It must be unreliable," but to say that would make the assumption that both were even made by the same company. Being that you're mixing up Umarex and Walther, it would be more accurate to make the analogy of saying, "I've heard that a 1996 Hyundai Excel is a pile of crap, so don't but an F150 truck."

:)
    No idea about that, it carries the Walther name so that's all I know.

"Here's the e-mail I wrote to Walther:

"Is the new PK380 manufactured by walther or is it made by Uramex like the P22 is?

Thanks for your time.

-Eric"

Straight forward question. Straight forward answer:

"Hello,

That weapon is being manufactured by Walther.

Regards,

Dave Valenze"

Looks like it may in fact be a true walther. This makes up my mind. I'll be getting one for sure. "

Take that random forum post for what it's worth. The P22 is Uramex, the PK380 is Walther from what I see. Your response seems condescending considering how confused most people seem to be about the differences between the parent company and the company they own. Can you provide more information?

The PPK/S or one of them is made by S&W I think.

Also I should add on this very forum:

Walther PK380 Recall

Still, nothing at all to do with a P99 or PPQ. Both are extremely reliable in my experience. I carry a PPQ as my EDC.

If I recall, the SW99 is a hybrid, for what it's worth, half made by Walther, half by S&W, so it can get a little murky as to who makes what for whom sometimes. Anyway, don't let one issue with one model turn you off to an entire brand. That'd be like saying the weak springs that were put into some of the Glock 19s make all Glocks unreliable.
    It's simply not true, and arguing from the specific to the general is bad logic, when it comes to forensic debate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links