Almost to the Dark Side! - Page 2

Almost to the Dark Side!

This is a discussion on Almost to the Dark Side! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good choice sioux545 (which must mean you went to college at UND). I've owned several G27s and liked them all. The main reason I went ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Almost to the Dark Side!

Good choice sioux545 (which must mean you went to college at UND). I've owned several G27s and liked them all. The main reason I went to a G26 as my ONLY handgun is due to the fact that I might be able shoot double taps faster and can make Expert in SSP division of the IDPA. That, plus I read the book Stopping Power by Marshall and Sarnow and they devote a whole chapter describing the Border Patrol's exhaustive process trying to find a caliber that would provide their agents with more firepower yet still duplicate (or nearly duplicate) the terminal performance of their trusty .357 magnum revolvers. Their choice? The Federal 115 grain +P+ hollow pointer (9BPLE), which can still be purchased on line for about $19/50 delivered to your door.

At those prices I can compete with my carry ammo on a regular basis.

Either way, a G27 or G26 is a wonderful carry gun and all-around weapon for home defense, etc. Want a surprise? Compare the weight of an empty S&W Shield single stack 9mm at 19 ounces to a G26, empty, at 19.75 ounces. Are you kidding me? Three quarters of one ounce and you can get a Glock with over 20 years of street performance in the rough-and-tumble world of law enforcement.

Best of luck in your decision making.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

It's never a bad idea to test fire a model before you buy the gun; but I own a 27 and have never really understood the "flippy" description. I find it no more difficult to manage that any other semi-auto. My wife also loves to shoot it, and she is a small person. I like the .40 cal. because it packs a little more punch than the 9mm, but it's less expensive in terms of ammo than a .45. But, yeah, test it first; then buy it.

Re: Almost to the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Good choice sioux545 (which must mean you went to college at UND). I've owned several G27s and liked them all. The main reason I went to a G26 as my ONLY handgun is due to the fact that I might be able shoot double taps faster and can make Expert in SSP division of the IDPA. That, plus I read the book Stopping Power by Marshall and Sarnow and they devote a whole chapter describing the Border Patrol's exhaustive process trying to find a caliber that would provide their agents with more firepower yet still duplicate (or nearly duplicate) the terminal performance of their trusty .357 magnum revolvers. Their choice? The Federal 115 grain +P+ hollow pointer (9BPLE), which can still be purchased on line for about $19/50 delivered to your door.

At those prices I can compete with my carry ammo on a regular basis.

Either way, a G27 or G26 is a wonderful carry gun and all-around weapon for home defense, etc. Want a surprise? Compare the weight of an empty S&W Shield single stack 9mm at 19 ounces to a G26, empty, at 19.75 ounces. Are you kidding me? Three quarters of one ounce and you can get a Glock with over 20 years of street performance in the rough-and-tumble world of law enforcement.

Best of luck in your decision making.
    Graduated a Fighting Sioux and proud of it!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Attaboy. We just moved from Fargo to Arizona after spending most of my life there or nearby in Minnesota. Still have a cabin in Minnesota for the summer months (thank heavens). In the summer I shoot IDPA matches at the East Grand Forks Rod & Gun Club. If you ever get back there with your Glock, you should come on out and shoot. The match director/Range Safety Officer is U.S. Marshal James Stout and if you look at the IDPA website you'll see he is one of the rarest of the rare ... a 5-gun Master, which means he is fast and accurate with three different semi-autos and two different revolvers. Plus, he's a very positive and encouraging person to shoot with. Lots of fun. I try to get there at least once or twice a summer from our lake place near Fergus Falls.

Hang in there and best wishes in your selection process.

Welcome to the darkside
    Thousands of LEO's and soldiers can't be wrong.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

I love snappy. The snappier the recoil, the harder the bullet was pushed out the muzzle. But don't take my word for it, that was postulated by Einstein. So if you think your bullets are slamming out too hard and you're worried about your poor target, by all means get a 9 and make that awful "snap" go away. Want me to trade by G23 for your 9? Pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

You will never regret the purchase of a Glock.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you get a chance, try a 23. I shot the 27 and found it a little too small for me. I think the 23 is one of the best all around guns.

Of course, I then went out and got a 35 to use for USPSA

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Attaboy. We just moved from Fargo to Arizona after spending most of my life there or nearby in Minnesota. Still have a cabin in Minnesota for the summer months (thank heavens). In the summer I shoot IDPA matches at the East Grand Forks Rod & Gun Club. If you ever get back there with your Glock, you should come on out and shoot. The match director/Range Safety Officer is U.S. Marshal James Stout and if you look at the IDPA website you'll see he is one of the rarest of the rare ... a 5-gun Master, which means he is fast and accurate with three different semi-autos and two different revolvers. Plus, he's a very positive and encouraging person to shoot with. Lots of fun. I try to get there at least once or twice a summer from our lake place near Fergus Falls.

Hang in there and best wishes in your selection process.
    I loved it in Grand Forks for the 5 years I was up there. People are so nice up there. I did all of my shooting just north of the air base in some empty field. It was pretty much designated a shooting range. I will be heading up that way next month and will be sure to check that out in EGF.

I bought the G27 Gen 4 this afternoon. Will get to pick it up in about 46 hours!

Well done. You'll love the G27. I had one last spring and it never faltered.

I don't know if the EGF range is still open at this time of year. Maybe. They've got a website you can Google to check out dates. I know they have IDPA matches once a month on a Saturday. They often have side matches for tactical rifles, shotguns and BUGs. Often you can shoot the stages in the morning with one gun and then shoot them again in the afternoon with another gun and/or in a different division. With my G26 I can shoot it in SSP or ESP in the morning and then reverse it to the other division the afternoon and then shoot it as a Back Up Gun (BUG) at the end of the day. Now, THAT'S what I call really wringing out your carry gun in a real-world scenario.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links