Defensive Carry banner

Almost to the Dark Side!

2K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  1gunsnowbird 
#1 ·
Well after my last trip to the range, the reality of getting my first Glock was very clear. I rented a Glock 26 Gen 4 and at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it. It was bigger than what I am used to, but it shot like a dream. Little muzzle flip and I really liked the 10+1 capacity. I shot an LC9 the same trip to the range and it felt like a bucking bronco in my hands.

While the G26 was awesome to shoot, I think I am set on getting a G27. There is something about the 40 S&W that I really do like. It probably has to do with the fact that my dad's duty gun was a Glock 22 for 15 years and now carries the same one daily.

I carry an LCP everyday right now and like the gun, but I am looking for something bigger in both caliber and physical gun size. I am 100% sure that the Glock 27 will be a perfect choice. I feel good carrying around 7 rounds of 380 ammo in a gun that is pretty reliable, but I am sure that I will feel even better carrying around 10 rounds of 40 S&W in a gun that most owners call perfect.

I've been in the market for a new gun for a while and have been doing a lot of research, but getting a new gun really became possible when I was cleaning the house the other day and stumbled across some savings bonds that are near maturity and are currently worth just over $600. Talk about a good find!!

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to purchase the gun and after the 48 wait time (thanks wisconsin) the gun will be mine!

See less See more
#2 ·
The disease spreads one owner at a time. There is no cure, only treament to ease the suffering.

Reactions: LaraCroft10
#5 ·
Yes, good point. The .40 is definitely "snappier" than the 9, and it is felt a little bit more in the sub-compact G27 than larger models. It's still very controllable in my opinion, but it might be a good idea to see if you can find one to rent for a range session just to make sure it's comfortable for you.

#6 ·
I have a 26 Gen 4 and love it, I carry it everyday IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

You will not be dissapointed

#7 · (Edited)
Do NOT give in ! I am the official spokesman for the revolver coalition. Sure, the Glocks are great guns- we all know this. But what about walnut, what about deep, rich bluing?? The Glock, for all its many virtues, is an UGLY GUN. Sorry, but someone had to say it. Can it protect you and your loved ones? Of course it can- it is a superbly designed machine. But a S&W model 19, or a Colt Python- those are guns one is proud to own. They are as reliable as the Glock, and they do not care about your ammo- anything will fire. And, they are works of ART, symbols of what talent can produce. What is the useful service life of a Python? Of a good, classic Smith? So far as I know, the answer is "forever". Think about it!!

#10 ·
The best thing about a G27 or any .40 S&W Glock is that you can drop a .357 SIG barrel in them.

Less recoil, flatter shooting and improved accuracy in most cases:)

Best of luck with picking up your new Glock.

#11 ·
I carry a Glock 27 and don't find it to be that snappy. I think it is just a matter of spending some time with it. The first 40 I owned and shot was a Glock 22. Loved it so much I bought the 27 as my carry piece. When I first started shooting the 22 I did think it was indeed snappy. After a 100 rounds or so didn't even notice it. When I got the 27 I was just shooting a shorter 22.

#12 ·
I don't like Glocks. I think a real duty weapon is made of blue steel not plastic. However, when we switched to Glocks, we went from 7 armorers to 2 armorers. (mostly to work on the shotguns and full autos) During familiarization and qualification 300+ officers fired 2000 rounds each. I was an instructor & armorer at the time. To the best of my knowledge, there was not one single stoppage, not one. I don't like Glocks. When I retired I bought two. Still don't like them, but they are like a carpenters claw hammer. They just work. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get to like them just a little bit someday.

#16 ·
Good choice sioux545 (which must mean you went to college at UND). I've owned several G27s and liked them all. The main reason I went to a G26 as my ONLY handgun is due to the fact that I might be able shoot double taps faster and can make Expert in SSP division of the IDPA. That, plus I read the book Stopping Power by Marshall and Sarnow and they devote a whole chapter describing the Border Patrol's exhaustive process trying to find a caliber that would provide their agents with more firepower yet still duplicate (or nearly duplicate) the terminal performance of their trusty .357 magnum revolvers. Their choice? The Federal 115 grain +P+ hollow pointer (9BPLE), which can still be purchased on line for about $19/50 delivered to your door.

At those prices I can compete with my carry ammo on a regular basis.

Either way, a G27 or G26 is a wonderful carry gun and all-around weapon for home defense, etc. Want a surprise? Compare the weight of an empty S&W Shield single stack 9mm at 19 ounces to a G26, empty, at 19.75 ounces. Are you kidding me? Three quarters of one ounce and you can get a Glock with over 20 years of street performance in the rough-and-tumble world of law enforcement.

Best of luck in your decision making.

#17 ·
It's never a bad idea to test fire a model before you buy the gun; but I own a 27 and have never really understood the "flippy" description. I find it no more difficult to manage that any other semi-auto. My wife also loves to shoot it, and she is a small person. I like the .40 cal. because it packs a little more punch than the 9mm, but it's less expensive in terms of ammo than a .45. But, yeah, test it first; then buy it.

#19 ·
Attaboy. We just moved from Fargo to Arizona after spending most of my life there or nearby in Minnesota. Still have a cabin in Minnesota for the summer months (thank heavens). In the summer I shoot IDPA matches at the East Grand Forks Rod & Gun Club. If you ever get back there with your Glock, you should come on out and shoot. The match director/Range Safety Officer is U.S. Marshal James Stout and if you look at the IDPA website you'll see he is one of the rarest of the rare ... a 5-gun Master, which means he is fast and accurate with three different semi-autos and two different revolvers. Plus, he's a very positive and encouraging person to shoot with. Lots of fun. I try to get there at least once or twice a summer from our lake place near Fergus Falls.

Hang in there and best wishes in your selection process.

#24 ·
I loved it in Grand Forks for the 5 years I was up there. People are so nice up there. I did all of my shooting just north of the air base in some empty field. It was pretty much designated a shooting range. I will be heading up that way next month and will be sure to check that out in EGF.

I bought the G27 Gen 4 this afternoon. Will get to pick it up in about 46 hours!

#20 ·
Welcome to the darkside :king:
Thousands of LEO's and soldiers can't be wrong.

#21 ·
I love snappy. The snappier the recoil, the harder the bullet was pushed out the muzzle. But don't take my word for it, that was postulated by Einstein. So if you think your bullets are slamming out too hard and you're worried about your poor target, by all means get a 9 and make that awful "snap" go away. Want me to trade by G23 for your 9? Pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

#25 ·
Well done. You'll love the G27. I had one last spring and it never faltered.

I don't know if the EGF range is still open at this time of year. Maybe. They've got a website you can Google to check out dates. I know they have IDPA matches once a month on a Saturday. They often have side matches for tactical rifles, shotguns and BUGs. Often you can shoot the stages in the morning with one gun and then shoot them again in the afternoon with another gun and/or in a different division. With my G26 I can shoot it in SSP or ESP in the morning and then reverse it to the other division the afternoon and then shoot it as a Back Up Gun (BUG) at the end of the day. Now, THAT'S what I call really wringing out your carry gun in a real-world scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.