Almost to the Dark Side!

This is a discussion on Almost to the Dark Side! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well after my last trip to the range, the reality of getting my first Glock was very clear. I rented a Glock 26 Gen 4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Almost to the Dark Side!

Cool Almost to the Dark Side!

Well after my last trip to the range, the reality of getting my first Glock was very clear. I rented a Glock 26 Gen 4 and at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it. It was bigger than what I am used to, but it shot like a dream. Little muzzle flip and I really liked the 10+1 capacity. I shot an LC9 the same trip to the range and it felt like a bucking bronco in my hands.

While the G26 was awesome to shoot, I think I am set on getting a G27. There is something about the 40 S&W that I really do like. It probably has to do with the fact that my dad's duty gun was a Glock 22 for 15 years and now carries the same one daily.

I carry an LCP everyday right now and like the gun, but I am looking for something bigger in both caliber and physical gun size. I am 100% sure that the Glock 27 will be a perfect choice. I feel good carrying around 7 rounds of 380 ammo in a gun that is pretty reliable, but I am sure that I will feel even better carrying around 10 rounds of 40 S&W in a gun that most owners call perfect.

I've been in the market for a new gun for a while and have been doing a lot of research, but getting a new gun really became possible when I was cleaning the house the other day and stumbled across some savings bonds that are near maturity and are currently worth just over $600. Talk about a good find!!

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to purchase the gun and after the 48 wait time (thanks wisconsin) the gun will be mine!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The disease spreads one owner at a time. There is no cure, only treament to ease the suffering.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The disease spreads one owner at a time. There is no cure, only treament to ease the suffering.
    I knew that there was a reason as to why I would always at other guns, but then came back to the Glock's.

A word of caution - the G27 is not the G26. I would suggest you try the G27 before you buy. Some folks find it unpleasantly snappy.
    joker1 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    A word of caution - the G27 is not the G26. I would suggest you try the G27 before you buy. Some folks find it unpleasantly snappy.
    Yes, good point. The .40 is definitely "snappier" than the 9, and it is felt a little bit more in the sub-compact G27 than larger models. It's still very controllable in my opinion, but it might be a good idea to see if you can find one to rent for a range session just to make sure it's comfortable for you.

I have a 26 Gen 4 and love it, I carry it everyday IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

You will not be dissapointed

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Do NOT give in ! I am the official spokesman for the revolver coalition. Sure, the Glocks are great guns- we all know this. But what about walnut, what about deep, rich bluing?? The Glock, for all its many virtues, is an UGLY GUN. Sorry, but someone had to say it. Can it protect you and your loved ones? Of course it can- it is a superbly designed machine. But a S&W model 19, or a Colt Python- those are guns one is proud to own. They are as reliable as the Glock, and they do not care about your ammo- anything will fire. And, they are works of ART, symbols of what talent can produce. What is the useful service life of a Python? Of a good, classic Smith? So far as I know, the answer is "forever". Think about it!!
    Last edited by chiefs-special-guy; October 25th, 2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    fotomaker57 and bgusty like this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    Do NOT give in ! I am the official spokesman for the revolver coalition. Sure, the Glocks are great guns- we all know this. But what about walnut, what about deep, rich bluing?? The Glock, for all its many virtues, is an UGLY GUN. Sorry, but someone had to say it. Can it protect you and your loved ones? Of course it can- it is a superbly designed machine. But a S&W model 19, or a Colt Python- those are guns one is proud to own. They are as reliable as the Glock, and they do not care about your ammo- anything will fire. And, they are works of ART, symbols of what talent can produce. What is the useful service life of a Python? Of a good, classic Smith? So far as I know, the answer is "forever". Think about it!!
    Yes they are pretty, reliable, and durable but...

To borrow from a famous saying: Guns with walnut and deep rich bluing are what you show your friends, GLOCKS are what you show your enemies.
    wraithls1 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Absolutely. I've known a couple people who loved their Glock 27s -- until they actually shot them. It is quite snappy and really quite a bear to those who are recoil sensitive.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The best thing about a G27 or any .40 S&W Glock is that you can drop a .357 SIG barrel in them.

Less recoil, flatter shooting and improved accuracy in most cases:)

Best of luck with picking up your new Glock.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 27 and don't find it to be that snappy. I think it is just a matter of spending some time with it. The first 40 I owned and shot was a Glock 22. Loved it so much I bought the 27 as my carry piece. When I first started shooting the 22 I did think it was indeed snappy. After a 100 rounds or so didn't even notice it. When I got the 27 I was just shooting a shorter 22.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I don't like Glocks. I think a real duty weapon is made of blue steel not plastic. However, when we switched to Glocks, we went from 7 armorers to 2 armorers. (mostly to work on the shotguns and full autos) During familiarization and qualification 300+ officers fired 2000 rounds each. I was an instructor & armorer at the time. To the best of my knowledge, there was not one single stoppage, not one. I don't like Glocks. When I retired I bought two. Still don't like them, but they are like a carpenters claw hammer. They just work. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get to like them just a little bit someday.
    CaveJohnson likes this.

I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I respect them. I just prefer a little more style in my semi automatics, and I'm primarly a wheelgun fan anyway.

I'm just meh on the boxy look of the majority of semi-automatics.

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Absolutely... I was going to say the same thing. I rented a g26 then borrowed a friends g26 and really liked it but bought a g27 and hated it...sold it. Don't make my mistake.

cave; sounds like you need a PPK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links