Helping my Brother-in-Law

This is a discussion on Helping my Brother-in-Law within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm impressed that you carry taht P2000sk in your pocket. I like my Kahr in my pocket and sometimes my SI Micro .45GI, but would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Helping my Brother-in-Law

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm impressed that you carry taht P2000sk in your pocket. I like my Kahr in my pocket and sometimes my SI Micro .45GI, but would not have thought of trying to carry one longer than either of those. Your comment on HK recoil is spot on though -- the easiest gun to return to target after firing a shot that I own is my HK .45 UPSc.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

Glock 17, Glock 19, M&P9/40, XD9/40.....any of these should do the trick. Why have him spend $900 on an HK when any of the previous listed will do it for half that?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I left out that he had gone to a couple of gun shops in his neck of the woods and looked at numerous guns and talked with the gun shop gurus. He has large hands and likes the feel of the full size weapons. His concern with recoil (he currently has a large 357 revolver and is aware of recoil from shooting it) and the HK design was one reason it came on my radar screen. i appreciate the CZ recommendation also. He has checked out the Glocks at the gun shops and does not seem to be leaning that way at the moment. When i go home to visit, I am taking my G36, XD40sc, Bersa Thunder 9, P95, PT709 so he can get a feel for some different styles, calibers, and feels. We are also going to rent some guns to try too.

For me, I like having a variety of guns. But, IF it were me and I were going t buy just 1 gun to fit all needs (and the difference between a $500 gun and an $800 gun in his situation will not make or break him), then I would be more inclined to spend more money for a high end gun that will meet all of my needs. Of course, this has me thinking I could get rid of several of my 9mm and get one of these too. Which may be a nice added benefit of helping him sort through his choice.

Thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Is he in my area? I may be able to help you and him out some.

For a first time auto user and wanting it for the purposes you listed I'd be hard pressed to go with something other than a G19 or G17. I won't go into the whole reasoning behind it but they do fit the bill.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    But, IF it were me and I were going t buy just 1 gun to fit all needs (and the difference between a $500 gun and an $800 gun in his situation will not make or break him), then I would be more inclined to spend more money for a high end gun that will meet all of my needs. Of course, this has me thinking I could get rid of several of my 9mm and get one of these too. Which may be a nice added benefit of helping him sort through his choice.
    An H&K P30 might be worth consideration, too. It's a bit larger, but it's got one heck of a grip and fabulous ergonomics. If you're willing to go "double" on the purchase, a pair of H&K's would be hard to beat.

On the H&K USP line, there is quite a variety of trigger/safety options available. If that would make a difference, then perhaps one of the USP's might be attractive. Dead-nuts reliable and accurate, too, as with most of the H&K's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Is he in my area? I may be able to help you and him out some.

For a first time auto user and wanting it for the purposes you listed I'd be hard pressed to go with something other than a G19 or G17. I won't go into the whole reasoning behind it but they do fit the bill.
    Yep, he lives in your area and I'll be coming up to visit around Thanksgiving. PM me your number and we can get together for some range time. He is talking about joining a gun club in the area also.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

KoB
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'm impressed that you carry taht P2000sk in your pocket. I like my Kahr in my pocket and sometimes my SI Micro .45GI, but would not have thought of trying to carry one longer than either of those. Your comment on HK recoil is spot on though -- the easiest gun to return to target after firing a shot that I own is my HK .45 UPSc.
    I wear Tru-Spec 24/7 pants that have enormously deep pockets which allows me to pocket carry my "sk" in a Mika's pocket holster custom made for this pistol. Plus, I'm not a small man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links