HK P7

This is a discussion on HK P7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone owned or shot a HK P7?...

Thread: HK P7

HK P7

Has anyone owned or shot a HK P7?

2. Remove Ads

Yes! Prime hardware! Check in over at www.parkcitiestactical.com > Cult of the P7 for tons of info (as in what to look for in a used one, good spares to have, etc..)

Yes, shot one all one evening. Loved it. Points naturally for me. The area above the trigger gets hot in a hurry if you're running a lot of rounds through it fast.
    I'd have bought it but my wife had a lot of problems with gripping things and she couldn't hold the grip cocking mechanism in. Thankfully, she's recovered from that problem but P7s are now out of my budget range.

Yes, one of my all-time favorite pistols. I have an original P7 PSP with European mag-release and a newer M8 with the ambi-"Americanized"
    mag release. Great gun, exceptionally accurate, easy to control and manipulate. Can be ammo finicky (prefers hot 115 grain to 147 sub-sonic), and likes to be kept clean.
    So, what was your specific question?
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    not yet , but its on my " trade for " list ( the m8 american build ) imho too dammed spendy , but what the heck .. after it i want a sig p210 lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I own one, and carry it some.

I've carried it quite a bit in the past, but now mostly carry it when I feel I can't conceal a 1911 or HiPower due to clothing.

Like everything else, it has good points and bad. I think the good outweighs the bad for the most part. I think a lot of the bad points get overblown, like it's "overheating" and unique operation that can "getcha kilt".

It does get hot. The way the gas-delayed action works, there's no way around it. It takes about 50 rounds or so for mine to get noticeably warm, but it's not too hot to hold then. If you slap your finger on the lower forward frame, over the gas cylinder, it may burn, but you just don't do that.
    I'm sure you will get through a gunfight without noticing.
    When practicing, by the time it heats up, I need to stop and reload magazines, check or change targets, shoot a different gun, etc, so it's not a real problem there.
    It may be a problem in training, however. I have always used something else in classes, so don't know, but if you are shooting a lot of rounds in a short time, it may be inconvenient at the least.

I used to hear how the unique mode of operation could bite you. I was warned that if one carried a P7, to carry ONLY a P7. Their thinking there was that you might "forget to squeeze-cock" the P7. After owning one, using it for some time, and using it "part-time" (switching to and from other types of pistols), I don't buy it.
    The grip/grasp I use on the P7, or any pistol, exerts enough pressure on the front strap to move the P7's cocking lever. That should either cock the P7, or serve as a reminder if I would forget to cock it.
    Some may have a problem when it come to releasing the slide if they switch to and from the P7. It doesn't have a typical slide stop/release. If you look for it to release the slide, you won't see it. You release the P7's slide by squeezing the cocking lever. I release the slide by pulling it to the rear regardless of gun, which works with anything.

Some negatives I don't usually see mentioned are:

The slide lock. The slide lock is pretty small and awkward to operate. If you should get a double feed (for example) and have to lock the slide back to clear it, there may be sme fumbling. The good news is that malfunctions are rare with P7s (I have never had one- ever...the only design that I can think of in which that's happened). Practice them anyway, and carry a second, or third gun.

After that, I have to look hard. They can be hard to holster sometimes. They have those short slides and hefty steel frames, making them grip-heavy. In a less-than-ideal holster, the gun can "flop out" away from the body. The short slide doesn't brace it from doing that, either. The solution is to use a good holster. I use an Alessi when I carry it on the belt (CQC/S), which holds it firm, even using snap loops. I usually carry it IWB, which eliminates the problem entirely anyway.

The finish can be a little wear prone. Newer ones have the HK "Hostile Enviroment" finish...I think...which should be better.

But the good stuff is very good.

Mostly, it's easy to carry and easy to shoot.

It's small and flat, so carries very well.

It's one of the easiest/best shooting guns I've shot. I can shoot it faster than any pistol I've ever shot bigger than a Hi-Standard .22, except some IPSC comp guns (and I'm not sure about that). I can leave it alone, shoot my other regular carry guns for a couple of months, take the P7 out, and do just fine.

It's ambidextrous. I carry it some on my weak side, and it's great for that.

The striker/firing pin pops out in about a second. That may not be important, but it is handy if you have to leave the gun unattended unexpectedly. I had to take something to my attorney, who was at the courthouse at the time (no guns). It was nice to not leave a live weapon behind in the car.

Oh yeah, there's that cost thing.
    They are expensive, and only going up.

Now and then, you still might see a used one for about what a "premium" 1911 runs. That's not bad.

VIP Member
    I own a P7 "Euro," aka "PSP." I lucked out and purchased it last year while the prices were below $700 for used one in excellent condition. I can't find any at that price anymore, not that I'm looking that hard.

They are excellent guns. Two mags fired in rapid succession will leave you with gun that is almost too hot to handle though.

Eric Larsen is making me one of his fantastic COM III IWB holsters for it.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I hung out at www.parkcitiestactical a few years ago and the next thing I knew, I HAD to have a P7M8. Neat gun, ZERO muzzle rise, easy to shoot well, and flat to carry but the novel operation and weight discouraged me. I was sticking with one operation system at the time, and I have a 3914 that carried the same ammo load for half the weight a less size so I sold it. Glad I bought and tried it out, though, they are really neat, well made little gems.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have 2 of them. One is a hard chrome with night sights, and the other is the standard blue gun.. Both are the PSP version (not the M8) and they shoot, point, and carry extremly well.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Owned both the M8 and M13 but eventually sold them since the offer was too good to refuse. They were accurate and easy to shoot but the fact that they got hot after a lot of rounds always bugged me. I sold both the P-7's and a P-5 to the same individual and looking back - maybe I shouldn't have.

Can't have in California, unless it is a private sale, previously owned gun, and NO ONE sell these once they have them! I will keep hoping; I have a friend who has one, and I hope to catch him at a weak moment and trade him for my house...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I have a friend who has one, and I hope to catch him at a weak moment and trade him for my house...

Links