Warning: stay away from the M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Warning: stay away from the M&P Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Because, if you touch one, you might just have to buy one... I was browsing today, mainly trying to decide between the LCP and LC9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Warning: stay away from the M&P Shield

Because, if you touch one, you might just have to buy one...

I was browsing today, mainly trying to decide between the LCP and LC9 for pocket carry. (Would love to get back onto the 9mm platform, but I just think I need the total concealment possible with the LCP.) Anyway, on a whim I asked if they had the Shield, they did ($437), I gave it a heft, and I must say it felt fantastic. Just fits in my hand like no other gun I own (not many) or have ever handled. This gun is so nice it has me doing mental gymnastics to convince myself I "need" it, which I really don't. Except.... my other semiauto is the Stoeger Cougar, which is so heavy and thick that I am really only willing to use it for my "woods gun," i.e., a situation where I don't care that much about printing, etc. It might be nice to have something that would wear comfortably both in the woods and in town....

I honestly am finding myself thinking that maybe what I need to do is sell my Cougar and my LCR .357, and transitioning to the Shield and the LCP. Seems like I would have a lot more flexibility.... Hm, maybe I just convinced myself.... The only thing is I do like having the Cougar in .40 in the woods (not because it's ideal for large animals, but because it at least has slightly more chance against them--obviously my main concern is other people, though.) I wonder what a relatively smaller, lighter gun like the Shield would shoot like in .40?

I dont have one either, but hey, if you like it, buy it. Having more carry options is what makes life great.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

You're right, I picked up one and handled it and was ready to put the $$ down needed to hold it, and he told me it was rated for neighboring Connecticut only and keeps it so people can handle it.

It's on backorder, who knows when I'd be able to get one.

Buy it if you want, but do NOT trade away the LCR.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Don't get rid of the Cougar. Trust me, you will regret it. Can you layaway the Shield?

I hear you guys, I don't think there's any way I would get rid of either the LCR or the Cougar. WHY did I have to have such good taste in my first two gun purchases? Layaway might be the way to go.

i have one and love it. I didn't really need it but powerless over it sirens song. Don't resist...

I have and carry the Shield in .40... I find the recoil perfectly acceptable and actually shoot tighter groups at defensive distances with it than I do with the full size M&P 40. Only problem I had was with the extended magazine dropping after every shot. S&W replaced the extended magazine and all is well now.

Distinguished Member
    Don't get rid of any guns, you'll just regret it! (unless they prove unreliable)

Just find a way or be patient, but always grow your collection
    I haven't even got to see a shield yet, let alone hold one but hear nothing but good things.
    revldm likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I love my Shield, but my other carry gun is an LCR, so there's that.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Sly
    I just got the Springfield Xds, which shoots great for such a small 45. Love that gun! :)

It's really no problem at all to "stay away from" a Shield. The problem is even getting close to one!

/\ Yup, this right here.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I still have not handled one. I really want to. I keep hearing great things about them. I hope I can try one soon. But resisting it shouldn't be a problem because I am a Glock guy through and through. And more importantly I am going broke.

I have a Beretta Cougar and will not trade it for anything. My PPS is my carry gun, but I wanted something with a double stack mag for the winter or carrying up in NC (more clothing to hide it).
    I decided to buy a PX4 since it operates on the same platform as the cougar. Perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links