Handgun for Mom - Page 2

Handgun for Mom

This is a discussion on Handgun for Mom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife, my age, has taken self-defense courses and loves her Sig P238. She has scheduled more classes with other women who attend the firing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Handgun for Mom

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife, my age, has taken self-defense courses and loves her Sig P238. She has scheduled more classes with other women who attend the firing range where we shoot. Instructors there are police men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    My wife, my age, has taken self-defense courses and loves her Sig P238. She has scheduled more classes with other women who attend the firing range where we shoot. Instructors there are police men and women.
    Where is this at?
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Where is this at?
    Police Hall of Fame in Titusville is one of the places. There are a couple of other places that have 'women only' classes...testosterone-free classes from the Gun Lady in Merritt Island. Several NRA certified classes are presented around here.

Where is this at?
    At the Police Hall of Fame, they have a Saturday morning "ladies only" period with free instruction after entry fee paid...about $8 for about 90 minutes. Free gun rental, too. PM me for details. Shooting-Center.org

Do they have any classes for Men? I would consider taking a class there, its not to far away.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Do they have any classes for Men? I would consider taking a class there, its not to far away.
    I believe they do. A friend of mine took their CCW course. Wife and I plan to take it too. We both have our CCL, but need a state refresher.

Give them a call. We have a family annual membership and shoot there a couple of times a week.

I agree with others who suggest a lot of looking/handling and test firing different guns and calibers. As a concealed carry instructor, I try to have available several types of concealable handguns for students to handle and shoot, if they want to. I have yet to find someone who wasn't impressed by the Sig P-238. With a stainless slide and alloy frame, the 238 carries just enough weight to give a solid feel, mild recoil and aid in staying on target during rapid fire. It is extremely accurate for the size. The slide can be racked by all but the weakest hands. Crisp single action trigger, the heavier revolver trigger takes much more effort to learn to shoot accurately in double action, which is how it will be used in self defense. Manual safety, and the slide can be racked with the safety on, a nice feature for unloading the gun.

I'm not trying to sell 238's, but IMHO they represent a better than average choice for those of us that want small/reliable/easy to shoot protection.

Jim
    lchamp and tnlc9 like this.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Smith & Wesson Shield is comfortable to shoot. Not sure if she will think it's small enough. Add to the list of guns to try out.

Handgun for Mom

if she's looking for lower recoil then maybe a heavier gun rather than lighter is in order. like a P239 or similar. but like others said, she ought to choose.

Yeah she's shot my p239 and said it was to heavy.

check out the Walther PK380, nice ergos, light, but big enough that recoil isnt an issue. Its easy to rack the slide and easy to load.

KSP
    Low recoil and lightweight equals kahr p380. Something about the design makes it the most comfortable shooting super light 380. For the absolute lightest and lowest recoil, one might consider the kel-tec p32.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    I find that most females I know do not like the wide handgrip of the glock. My wife is one of them.
    +1 here, but the M&P shield fits the bill nicely. Slim, inexpensive, reliable and easy on the recoil.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    I don't know about the firearms but you are one sweet guy to care so much about your Mom to actively look for the best gun for her!

She must be very proud of you.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links