Defensive Carry banner

Handgun for Mom

3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Jeanlouise 
#1 ·
So my mom wants to get a handgun that she can use for CC when she gets her CCW.

She wants something that is small and kind of light so it doesn't have a large amount of recoil. I suggested the Sig P238 and the Glock 26. Also a couple others but they are kind of too small. I would like to get some suggestions fell you guys and especially gals of what would be good for her. She is almost 60 years old and just went through breast cancer so she's not really strong so something that kicks a lot might make her a little wary until she gets the hang of things.

Oh and I forgot to mention that she does not want a revolver lol

#2 ·
I'd suggest a 9mm Walther PPS -- ya'll handle one and see what you think.

Does your Mom need handgun training? The NRA offers an excellent program for ladies called "Women On Target" for women only and taught by female instructors.

Link: Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

#3 ·
Yeah thats a good idea, something ill have her look into. Thanks.

#4 ·
My Mom who's in her 80s, shoots a 32 S&W, that's shes had since the 50s. She shoots it very well so no one has ever tried to change what she carry's. It doesn't recoil with much force, and is easy to get back on target. But its a revolver. I have had several surgery's to repair two broken wrists suffered in a head on collision with a drunk driver. I can still shoot a full sized pistol in 40 and 45 cal, But in compact or subcompact they cause too much wrist pain. So Ive scaled back to 32 and 380 in a compact gun. Even the 380 in a subcompact hurts to shoot and is difficult to hang on to. So right now I'm shooting a 32 auto in a Walther PP size gun. It has a 3.5" barrel and a grip large enough to get all three fingers on it. I will be upgrading to a Bersa thunder in 380. The upgrade is not for the 380 but because I want the double action trigger. carried hammer down on a live round will let me draw and fire as I would a revolver but with 8+1 rounds. If you can find a rental range with a Bersa Thunder Id take her to see if its a good fit for her. If not there are all kinds of European guns in 32 auto that might fit her. Good Luck DR

#5 ·
So my mom wants to get a handgun that she can use for CC when she gets her CCW.

She wants something that is small and kind of light so it doesn't have a large amount of recoil...
This is kind of a contradiction in terms. Smaller & lighter generally = More recoil. It's a shame she doesn't want a revolver - A wheelgun is unequivocally the better choice in her situation.

Regards,
Jim

Reactions: Piratesailor
#6 ·
Yeah thats what i told her and thats what my step dad has told her to gt a revolver as well. Shes going to be carrying it in her purse most of the time untill she gets comfortable with IWB carry.

#7 ·
Don't try to pick a gun out for her, but do take her to several gun shops and let her 'handle the stock'.

#12 ·
I'm not trying to pick one for her I'm just trying to get a list of ones to look at so it doesn't seem to overwhelming for her.

#28 ·
+1 here, but the M&P shield fits the bill nicely. Slim, inexpensive, reliable and easy on the recoil.

#10 ·
Bersa thunder .380 or maybe the new 9mm model.

#11 ·
If you've got a couple of rental ranges in the area, ones with fairly decent inventories of guns for rent, I'd suggest going with her to test out as many different types/sizes of pistols and revolvers as she can stomach.

As you might imagine, what any of us or you think she'll prefer is likely to be quite different than what she'll prefer once she has shot each of them.

Smaller, lighter, less recoil. Contradiction in terms, mostly, as you know.

A Kahr CW9 or CM9/PM9 is going to be about the most compact 9mm semi-auto that she's likely to shoot. The Kahrs are known for being slim, relatively light for their size, smaller than most comparable pistols, and very low recoil for their size/weight. IMO, the Kahr PM9 is one of the least recoiling semi-auto 9mm pistols, despite being punier than most. It'll likely be a handful for someone not enjoying snappy recoil, but the PM9 (CM9) really does spread the recoil load nicely across the web of the hand. While not great for extended shooting sessions, it can dramatically improve the enjoyment of a dozen rounds or two.

If she's extremely recoil sensitive, the all-steel Kahr K9 9mm might well be her cup of tea. It's in the 25oz range, so it's not exactly a lightweight. But it's amazing to shoot, with stellar ergonomics. Great resale value, too, if it turns out you resell.

If she has shot before, then perhaps she'd be open to the 1911-style safety type guns. I was thinking about the Para Ordnance Stealth and Carry 9mm pistols with the LDA trigger (discontinued, but available on the used market).

Or, if preferring no safety at all, has medium-to-large sized hands and doesn't mind a bit of thickness, then the H&K P2000SK 9mm might be right up her alley. While not the smallest gun out there, it's still about the size of a G26, has good ergonomics, is astoundingly reliable and accurate. Low recoil, too, for a plastic 9mm (IMO, less recoil than the G26 by a good margin).

Some might suggest the Bersa Thunder Compact Ultra Pro 9mm. Similar in size to the P2000SK, it's not exactly a small gun, but it's reported to be reliable, accurate and easy to use. Not a lot of money, either. Or even the Bersa Thunder .380.

#13 ·
And if you can get her the least bit willing to try a revolver, check out the Ruger SP-101 .38/.357, ideally in 3" barrel (if you can find one). The added weight and somewhat longer barrel will dramatically impact recoil snappiness, as will the ability to shoot in softer .38 loads instead of .357 at all times. If preferring a small-ish gun but with recoil sensitivity and leaning toward simplicity, this would be my choice hands-down. She might agree, if she shot one.

#14 ·
Thanks a lot! I'll have to show her those and take her to the range/LGS next week. I really like that revolver, I might just have to look into one of those as well lol

#15 ·
This seems to be a recurring theme here......"Mom wants a gun"......

Folks always seem to want to put the cart in front of the horse. My first recommendation has already been made here...have her take an introduction to self defense firearms at a local shooting range/gun store. Many have a 2-3 hr. class where you first have formal classroom instruction on the mechanics of handguns and you learn proper grip and stance. Then you go to the range and shoot a broad sample of firearms. My range has this class and you get to shoot 3-4 38spl revolvers, 3-4 9mm pistols and 3-4 45acp pistols. I took this class 3 years ago and we actually had people (mostly women) just walk away from the class after shooting some of the small handguns and larger caliber stuff. But there is great value here.....people learn what the DON'T want to shoot and they may even decide that carrying a firearm is not for them. Better to learn this way then spending money buying handguns that may never get shot or carried. If your mother has never shot a handgun before, you really need to start her with something not to fearsome from a recoil perspective. I know she says she doesn't want a revolver, but that's a natural place to start since they are very simple in operation. Rent a large revolver and shoot it using 38spl ammo. I'd recommend a Smith 686, or a Ruger GP-100, but shoot it using 38 special's and NOT 357mag. I have mixed feelings about having her shoot some of those small pocket 9mm's. Many have a lot of recoil, plus they are hard to rack the slide due to the need for a strong recoil spring to ensure reliability. I guess I'd say here again, go large to start....say a Sig P226 in 9mm (let her shoot it in single action).

You just don't want her to have a bad experience at the range. From my experience (my wife), you will scare her off if you give her something even remotely painful to shoot. Give her something that's fun to shoot to start.

#17 ·
Where is this at?

#20 ·
Do they have any classes for Men? I would consider taking a class there, its not to far away.

#22 ·
I agree with others who suggest a lot of looking/handling and test firing different guns and calibers. As a concealed carry instructor, I try to have available several types of concealable handguns for students to handle and shoot, if they want to. I have yet to find someone who wasn't impressed by the Sig P-238. With a stainless slide and alloy frame, the 238 carries just enough weight to give a solid feel, mild recoil and aid in staying on target during rapid fire. It is extremely accurate for the size. The slide can be racked by all but the weakest hands. Crisp single action trigger, the heavier revolver trigger takes much more effort to learn to shoot accurately in double action, which is how it will be used in self defense. Manual safety, and the slide can be racked with the safety on, a nice feature for unloading the gun.

I'm not trying to sell 238's, but IMHO they represent a better than average choice for those of us that want small/reliable/easy to shoot protection.

Jim

#25 ·
Yeah she's shot my p239 and said it was to heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.