Should it stay or should it go? (or, help me pick out a new CC piece)

This is a discussion on Should it stay or should it go? (or, help me pick out a new CC piece) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Preface-(I normally carry a Bersa T380 CC in a pocket holster, with an extra 8 round mag in a pocket somewhere.) Forgive the rambling, but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should it stay or should it go? (or, help me pick out a new CC piece)

Should it stay or should it go? (or, help me pick out a new CC piece)

Preface-(I normally carry a Bersa T380 CC in a pocket holster, with an extra 8 round mag in a pocket somewhere.) Forgive the rambling, but maybe where I am will help people give me good advice.

Wanting something more powerful for pocket carry, I last week bought a new-in-the-box Rossi/Taurus (it says Rossi all over it but it does also say Taurus on one part of the body) 357 magnum 2" barrel.

2nd day I had it (not quite 100 rounds later) it jammed or got bound up and is on the way to the factory now (on my dime too ) And, now I'm hearing things that Rossi doesn't equal Taurus when it comes to quality. (A guy at work said a friend of his was shooting a Rossi .38 when the "topstrap" blew out and destroyed the gun, thankfully w/o injury but still).

Anyway, I'm not too pleased with having bought it now, and will probably trade it in when it comes back from the factory. I only paid $325 for it and I think I saw on their website a MSRP of around $350+, so hopefully I can get most of that back. I bought it in another town so I can't trade it back in where I bought it, but that's ok. If the gun was reliable I'd like it, it was 25 oz empty but the size was ok for my current pocket holster, and it had a really good feel in my hand, weight and the rubber grip. I think the extra weight gave me a much better experience shooting it than I got when I tried an airweight .38 special a few months back. It's about as large as I can see going for pocket carry tho. But, I DON'T like that it just out of the blue froze up, that would have really sucked if I was needing to use it for defense

So, what would you trade it in for if you were in my shoes? I have a 380 I'm very comfortable with already for CC. I am thinking either (1) another revolver (although from S&W or someone more reputable than Rossi) in .38 or .357 magnum, OR (2) a compact 9mm that can be pocket holster carried. I like the idea of moving up to 9mm for CC and keep the 380 for backup. I also have 2 full size 9's (SW 3906 and a Ruger P85), both of which I love but are just too big for me to CC. I like the idea of being able to practice with less expensive and more powerful ammo, and keeping lots of 9mm on hand.

I'm also open to suggestions if someone thinks this is a good time to move up to something else. I hope to soon have a couple hundred $ from trade-in to put towards something else.

So, to make it easier to answer...
    (A) would you trade this Rossi .357 in at some gun store once it came back, not being sure you could trust it?
    (B) would you want another wheel gun to take over CC duty from a 8-round 380?
    (C) would you want something else, such as a compact 9mm or something else, to take over CC duty from a 8-round 380?

If it makes any difference, I have this positive feeling that I'll be getting yet another HG at the end of the year (my Dad knows now that's what I like), so I can afford to experiment with something this time around maybe.

2. Remove Ads

Recommend Smith & Wesson snubby

First of all I would get rid of the Rossi and get as much money out of it as you can. Rossi revolvers have a poor reputation, and you are not the first person to have difficulty with one.

Assuming that you want another small snubby for pocket carry, I'd look at Smith & Wesson and would not be afraid of a used one. By buying used you could save a little money and possibly avoid getting the integral safety lock on the gun. The easiest for pocket carry is the old standby model 642 airweight .38 special +P. It weighs 15 ounces empty, has an internal hammer so it won't snag, and you can load it with the Speer 135 grain Gold Dot .38 +P, which works well in a snubby and gives you 225 ft-lbs of muzzle energy in a 2 inch barrel.

If you really want a .357 magnum and can tolerate a 25 ounce gun in your pocket, the S&W model 640 is a good bet. It is not much bigger than the 642 but it is all steel and heavier. So it will handle the .357 recoil pretty well.

Before I swore off the Rossi I'd try it with some +P .38s and see how you like that round and compare it to the .357 rounds. Then if you trade in for another wheelie you will know more about what you like. As to keeping it, well, that's a tough call. I'm not a big Rossi fan myself. Maybe others here know more about them than I do.

There are alot of small autos to choose from and everyone seems to have their favorites. If you want to try a +P .38 Airweight J Frame (my backup) and a .45 Micro Compact we ought to meet up at EOSS. I could use to blow off some steam anyways and range time does that for me!

As for calibers many consider a .380 enough and many don't. Me I like all the lead I can handle downrange each time but that's my own personal preference!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Hmm, I didn't realize a 2" .38 only gave 225 ft-lbs. My .380 Bersa's good supposedly for 200 ft-lbs, would a .38 snubbie be all that big of an upgrade? I think I read that most 9mm autos are good for something like 400 ft-lb which is more of what I was hoping to get up to with my next CC handgun

In the 9mm vein, does anyone know anything one way or the other about the Bersa MiniThunder9?

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 CC variant that I really like, and it seems a lot of other people like them too. The Bersa MiniThunder9 is only 23 oz empty and if it's anything like the T380 as far as nicely made, reliable, good to shoot, and economical, I could definately see buying one.

Anyone here ever try one or know about them?

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    Hmm, I didn't realize a 2" .38 only gave 225 ft-lbs. My .380 Bersa's good supposedly for 200 ft-lbs, would a .38 snubbie be all that big of an upgrade? I think I read that most 9mm autos are good for something like 400 ft-lb which is more of what I was hoping to get up to with my next CC handgun
    Here is a link to an article that gives the 225 ft-lb energy figure for the Speer 135 grain .38 special +P from a 2 inch barrel:
    Speer .38 Gold Dot +P article

The 225 ft-lb figure is actually pretty good for a .38 snubby - most ammo gives 200 ft-lbs or less in that gun. You are right that a .380 will usually do as well, delivering about 200 ft-lbs. So you wouldn't switch from .380 to .38 special if energy were your main consideration.

And you can get about 400 ft-lbs from a 9mm, if you pick +P ammo in 115 grain weight with velocity in the 1250 fps range. But a .357 snubby will do as well as this, with 125 grain ammo that gives 1100 or 1200 fps in a snubby.

It sounds like you should avoid the .38 and go with the .357 or 9mm, if you want to improve on your .380 by a good amount.

I think the Thunder 9 will be to big for pocket carry. It looks like it would be larger than the T380.

I have the Thunder 380 too and have been keeping it in my pocket until my new holster and belt gets here.

I want something more powerful than the bersa. I am thinking about a subcompact Glock in 10mm or .45. They have the .45 in either single or double stack. The single stack would be easier in a pocket. I have also thought about the Para Carry LDA. I don't want a SA so this would be a good option. S&W makes some small autos too, in 9mm, .40, and .45. If it is going in a pocket I think the plastic guns would help since they weigh less.

Out of everything I am leaning toward the small Glock in 10mm. It isn't a very nice looking gun but it is small, light, and holds a lot of rounds. The 10mm loads from CorBon have good numbers when tested.

If you want a Wheelie then a smith and wesson jframe

If you go with a revolver, make it a Smith & Wesson. If you want to talk to folks with a wealth of Smith & Wesson knowledge, go to http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

To be brutally frank, if it's a semi you go with, forget Bersa and start thinking about the brands that command a higher price; it's my belief that in firearms you usually "get what you pay for"!

I was at Gander Mountain tonight and handled a Smith & Wesson M&P in .40 and it felt very good...I've heard good things about that pistol, so would encourage you to check that one out along the way. At Gander Mountain it was $499, so a good value. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...11&isFirearm=Y
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 3rd, 2006 at 09:29 PM.

Lead Moderator
    As said S&W make great wheelies. Personally, I would rather go with 1 type(semi) of gun for all CC pieces. There are many good 9mm ect semis that are excellent choices.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I recently bought a S&W 637, an airweight 2" .38 Special J frame ... it was $359 at Cabelas.

What about a Kahr P9 or a one of the subcompact double stacks like the Glock 26, XD SC9, S&W M&P SC. I personally had a Glock 26, and though I couldn't pocket carry it there are many who do successfully. It was a 1st class firearm. I could shoot it better than the 4" Service model XD. I only sold it to pay for a Sig 220.

And I had a Kahr PM40. It was a 16oz 6-shot 40cal. I liked it but had some reliability issues and the frame started to have gouges in it. I think the gouges were caused by the dual recoil spring set-up. And the larger P9 and P40s are said to be much more reliable.

I'm not much of a revolver guy. I currently have a Sig 220 and plan to add a Sig 239 and 229 in 9mm. My next purchase will be a Rohrbaugh R9s for pocket carry.

Dump the Rossi, Taurus yes Rossi NO

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    Dump the Rossi, Taurus yes Rossi NO
    +1 Love my Taurus revolvers.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I've had two Taurus revolvers bind on me. One needed the gap between the forcing cone and cylinder widened. Taurus has a rep for getting the gap too tight. Another, I never could figure out the problem. After having to return 4 out of 7 Taurus guns, I've given up on the brand. The fact that Taurus is making Rossi now, will probably be bad for Rossi's rep. I used to read good things aout the Rossi. Oh well, you'll have plenty of time to make your decision, as you mostly likely won't see your Rossi returned for at least 4-6 weeks. S&W is generally pretty good. Don't know about the Bersa Thunder 9, but I did buy the Bersa Thunder 45. It was pretty good overall, but did have occasional malfunctions. I've gone through much the same process as you, and have settled on a Glock 26.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links