New 357mag Revolver

This is a discussion on New 357mag Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love revolvers! I'm looking for a new 357 Magnum revolver to add to my collection. This is for shooting......not a collectable for the safe. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: New 357mag Revolver

New 357mag Revolver

I love revolvers! I'm looking for a new 357 Magnum revolver to add to my collection. This is for shooting......not a collectable for the safe. I now have a Ruger SP-101 and a Ruger GP-100, but want something else to take to the range. I'd consider a Smith and Wesson, but nothing with that infernal frame lock. Just looking for ideas..... Would also consider other revolver makers...

2. Remove Ads

I'd look for a good used Smith L-frame, like the 686, or a K-frame like the model 66 (-3, -4, -5 range).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

K frame S&W

My favorite .357 revolver is the K frame S&W model 66. They were made in barrel lengths from 2.5 to 6 inches, and have wonderful trigger feel. They generally do not have the internal lock if you buy the older versions in used condition. I like the short barrel versions, as shown below.

wmhawth, zero, pgrass101 and 3 others like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I know many whom love revolvers. Is it a concern of reliability or something else?
    Tayopo likes this.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    I know many whom love revolvers. Is it a concern of reliability or something else?
    It's like going to the dark side of the Force. Once you gravitate towards revolvers, you're gone.

Snub-nosed revolvers are even worse. I can't stop buying them.

On a serious note, they're 5 or 6 rounds "for sure", and some of them, especially smaller ones with round butt configuration carry great.

I find myself being drawn to revolvers more and more also... don't know what it is about em.
    There's a Ruger Redhawk stainless .44 mag with 8" barrel at my local shop that keeps whispering in my ear to buy... damn you Ruger!
    Tayopo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Pogo, that's a nice grip o guns. Really nice.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've got an EAA Windicator in 2" .357mag and it's pretty sweet. Not necessarily as great a trigger out of the box at most S&Ws, but after a few years it's smoothed out rather nicely.

And it only cost about $300 new; leaves enough left over for LOTS of ammo. And maybe a second, longer barrel version.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I love me some Wheel guns! At this moment I've petty much resigned to only buying revolvers and Sigs. I have a LCR and SP101 and have a couple more on my list, specifially a 637 J-frame, 4" GP100 and have a real itch for a 327 night guard and a SRH 44mag Alaskan. Something about a big blocky wheel gun that makes me smile. I reload too so that helps that I can feed these guys pretty cheap. :)
    Tayopo likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have a 50-year-old .357 revolver with a 6 inch barrel and another just about as old with a 4 inch barrel that I have fired thousands of times. I carried the 4-incher for a long time and have moved to a smaller gun since moving down here to Florida. So I seem to be one of the few that is transitioning from revolvers to semi-autos...I have lots of other revolvers in other calibers for plinking.

My wife recently got her carry license and she wanted a small gun for her purse. I bought her a little .380 and myself a 9mm for EDC. I keep the .357 for home defense and will be getting another 9mm for increased mag capacity for home defense.

I still like those revolvers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    My favorite .357 revolver is the K frame S&W model 66. They were made in barrel lengths from 2.5 to 6 inches, and have wonderful trigger feel. They generally do not have the internal lock if you buy the older versions in used condition. I like the short barrel versions, as shown below.

That's one beautiful brace of revolvers!! I was actually looking at some used 66's over at Gunsamerica today. What's the differences between the -2, -3 and -4. Which is most desirable and why?

No, not for me anyway. I don't carry a revolver......although I do have my SP-101 in my car. I also love Sig pistols and a P220 Carry is my edc. Initially I bought the SP101 to help me learn better trigger control. My logic is that if you can shoot a double action revolver well, then you should be able to handle the da/sa pistol. For me, it worked. In the beginning I just could not shoot a revolver accurately....but over time my accuracy improved. This helped me a bunch with shooting my Sigs. I just love metal handguns. To me, there's something magical about holding a steel revolver and I just love to shoot the 357mag round. Love the power and accuracy. If you don't have a revolver.....you won't be sorry! My trip to the range each week includes taking one of my revolvers. I also own a couple cowboy revolvers (Colt SAA and Ruger Vaquero) both in 45 Colt. They're a lot of fun....
    Tayopo likes this.

Carried my Glock 19 for about a year, then the bug hit me and had to find my SP101 357 3" barrel, love revolvers and carry it every day. I don't worry about reliability and I'm sure I have enough ammo power. It all comes down to personal prefence IMO.
    Tayopo likes this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Ha! It's "something else." It's like comparing graffiti to art. Don't get me wrong I very much appreciate my pistols but there is just a timeless, classic look and feel to a good revolver.
    Tayopo likes this.

See if you can find a Dan Wesson model 14 or 15 v2. I have both and love them as much as any gun i own.
    My others 357 s are GP, SP, and Blackhawks with one S&W model 19. I am a 357 junkie although I seldom carry them I love shooting them. I hunt pigs quite often with the Blackhawk.
    The very first pistol I ever owned was a Blackhawk in 357 that my parents gave me for my 16 th birthday. I still have it 32 years later. Right now there are 11 various 357 in the safe
    Tayopo likes this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links