Defensive Carry banner

Should I trade in my Jframe for a Shield?

6K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  cphilip 
#1 ·
I am thinking of trading in y Jframe for a M&P Shield in 9mm. I use a LCP for pocket carry. I also use a Commander sized 1911 and a Glock 19 for concealed carry. I can get about $250 for a trade in on my Jframe. The Shield is $409.99 BUT I will have to order and it will take around 30 days they tell me.

I think the Shield will be a nice carry gun that will fill the gap between my Glock 19 and my LCP.

Should I trade it in?

#34 ·
If you don't care for the J-frame, trade it or sell it and get the Shield, you won't be disappointed. I have a couple of J-frames and just love them. Comparing them to the Shield 9 for carry purposes, the Shield wins hands down. It's very slim, light and it's really a soft shooting gun for it's size. The trigger is typical M&P quality and it's super accurate. Since I got my Shield it's pretty much replaced all my other carry choices.

#37 ·
I've had a 442 no lock for about a year or so. It's not that I don't like it but for pocket carry I go for my PM9. I'm much more accurate with the PM9 over the 442; more rounds; faster reloads; slimmer in the pocket and a softer shooter. I've probably carried the 442 a dozen or so times and I carry each and every day.

As far as the Shield, I've handled one in LGS. Compared it in size to a G26. Except for thickness, they are virtually the same size and weight. The Shield's grip is actually a little longer than the G26 so pocket carry may not suit some folks.

By the way, I'll not sell my 442. I'm still warming up to it...

#42 ·
Ok I went today to hold the Shield and possibly order. They said they are getting some in November and I will be at the top of the list. I held the Shield and idk. I kind of think I should just keep the Jframe and not buy the Shield.

INSTEAD.... I am not thinking of picking up a M&P15 Sport for $629. I just don't know if I should trade in my M&P 15-22 for it. I paid $399 for the 15-22 and they are willing to give me about $270-$300.

#44 ·
I vote keep the J frame and also get the shield..... :danceban:

#45 ·
Anytime you trade in a gun you lose your a$$ on the deal. Keep your j frame and get your shield. They are entirely different weapons. Shield has softer recoil than j frame. Mine is pleasant to shoot and capable of better accuracy than I am. J frame not pleasant to shoot, but has a niche in the concealed carry place. You can shoot it through your pocket or your purse if a lady. Shield will get one shot off in those circumstances.

#46 ·
My wife has a J frame that she carries in her purse all the time. A 60-14 Ladysmith to be exact. And she has been shooting and carrying a Bersa thunder that she shoots really well and its what she used for her CWP qualification.. but when presented with this 9mm Shield I just picked up she took it away and gave me the Bersa back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.