Help an older woman select a gun - Page 3

Help an older woman select a gun

This is a discussion on Help an older woman select a gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The baby glocks are nice (Glock 26 is the 9mm sub compact) and so is the M&P9c. But you said something "less bulky" that made ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help an older woman select a gun

The baby glocks are nice (Glock 26 is the 9mm sub compact) and so is the M&P9c. But you said something "less bulky" that made me think you are a prime candidate for the M&P Shield. It is a great single stack 9mm, low priced, and has a slightly longer grip than the M&P9c so you can get your whole hand around it for good shooting.

You can't go wrong with any of them, but I would think the slimmer Shield would be better for a womans hands. The Glock 26 and M&P9c are both fairly "fat".
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

When you're shopping check out a 9mm Walther PPS:

And the 9mm HK P2000 SK V3:

Both handguns are accurate, ergonomic, easy to shoot well and reliable to a fault. Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

When considering your demographics, I would highly consider you at least HOLD a HK P30 first. Then go hold everything else. I believe you will find the HK as the easiest to function for you. No- I know you will. Another one that is relatively easy to function but not necessary carry is the Beretta 92F. I have not had good luck with ladies and small revolvers or autos.

Your wanting something with more capacity than the revolver. I would recomend the S&W shield but it only holds a few more rounds than the wheelguns. I have the S&W m&p 9c . Its compact holds 12+1 rounds and accepts the full size m&p magazines for 17+1 capacity. If you shop around you should be able to find one for $550 or less. I Got mine for $489 at my local gun shop. And I feel the 9c has mild recoil compared to some of other guns I have shot. Good luck with your search. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    IF you don't HAVE to have a 9mm, the Sig 238 is hard to beat for concealment, accuracy and size. It is light but heavy enough that you feel you have a real gun in your hand! Good luck in your search.
    I have to agree with the 238 choice. Great gun, low recoil, and easy to operate. If you wanting the less expensive 9mm ammunition, SIG makes the same gun in that caliber, the P938.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Please take a few moments and read the following link : Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

It's written by a well known and respected female author for women and handguns.

Great info. for all shooters here. Good luck.
    Thanks, I book marked it and will take a look when I get the chance.

Thanks to all for your help. My first choice was a Shield but they simply aren't available in this area (at least not that I could find).
    I didn't want to get put on a wait list and not have any idea when it would be available (possibly as long as 6 months I was told!).
    I went with the Glock 19 and I like it a lot. After talking to a lot of people, it seems to be a good all around gun. I think when the
    Shield becomes more readily available we'll get one for the husband. He tried out my Glock (first time shooting a semi-auto) and
    likes it much better than his old Ruger revolver. So he's jealous and wants one for himself. I'll put him on the shield wait list since he is
    in no hurry.
    For practice ammo, I picked up a box of Federal 9mm 115 gr -a box of 100 was $19.98 at Walmart. Any problem with using that?
    Any suggestions as to what I should use when I conceal carry it?

Kudos on your purchase glocks are good guns. As is smith and other polymer framed guns. As for practice ammo most fmj will do. But for defence and carry A good expanding bullet will do such as hornady tap or critical defence federal hst try different brands and weights to see what your gun likes. As for you hubby goes Id get him a glock if he likes yours. That way if shtf you both could use the same mags if need be. Enjoy your new gun and stay safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavak View Post
    Thanks to all for your help. My first choice was a Shield but they simply aren't available in this area (at least not that I could find).
    I didn't want to get put on a wait list and not have any idea when it would be available (possibly as long as 6 months I was told!).
    I went with the Glock 19 and I like it a lot. After talking to a lot of people, it seems to be a good all around gun. I think when the
    Shield becomes more readily available we'll get one for the husband. He tried out my Glock (first time shooting a semi-auto) and
    likes it much better than his old Ruger revolver. So he's jealous and wants one for himself. I'll put him on the shield wait list since he is
    in no hurry.
    For practice ammo, I picked up a box of Federal 9mm 115 gr -a box of 100 was $19.98 at Walmart. Any problem with using that?
    Any suggestions as to what I should use when I conceal carry it?
    The 19 is hard to beat. As for the Federal ammo, not only will your Glock love it, that is the best price I have seen on it anywhere for quite awhile. Pick up all you can.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    Well, if you don't like the Glock 26, you definitely won't like the Glock 19. The 19 is larger and has a higher capacity, but the stock and feel in the hand is very similar between the two pistols.
    Sir, not meaning to be confrontational, but you couldn't be further from the truth! Unless YOU own a G19 AND a G26, it is very very difficult to make assumptions without the experience...Just sayin...

The OP has already handled both the G19 AND the G26...She has been firm in stating her lack of interest in the G26, simply because of the shorter grip, and she is not interested in mag extenders to lengthen the grip to accomodate the size of her hands.

The OP has indicated a high level of interest in the G19 based on the criteria which SHE established.

The G19 is only approximately a 1/2 inch larger than the G26 and is virtually just as easy to conceal, and has a higher mag capacity.

The G19 has been proven to be one of the most RELIABLE and DURABLE 9mm semiautomatics in use today, along with it's simplicity of break down, and lack of bells and whistles to have to worry about flippin, switchin, etc prior to firing.

As the OP has stated, she will make every effort to fire her choices PRIOR to purchase...She has obviously been doing her research and has asked for additional input based on something she might have overlooked.

Both Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. and the LimaLife/Limatunes youtubes have already been suggested as places for the OP to peruse. In addition, there is a "female carry sticky", here on DC, which has numerous links to information that will most probably be useful ...

ONE other 9mm semiautomatic, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, that the OP could consider is the Sig P250 which seems to be getting excellent reviews...JMO

OUCH..Just saw that the OP had purchased a G19...oh well, my bad!!! Best of luck with your choice to drink of the coolaide...You've made an excellent choice in my opinion...Now, start looking for some GOOD "professional" defensive handgun training...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    that is the best price I have seen on it anywhere for quite awhile. Pick up all you can.
    If that's a great price, I will go load up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post

The OP has already handled both the G19 AND the G26...She has been firm in stating her lack of interest in the G26, simply because of the shorter grip, and she is not interested in mag extenders to lengthen the grip to accomodate the size of her hands.
    Yes, the 19 felt way more comfortable. Even with the grip extension the 26 didn't feel as comfy as the 19.

The G19 is only approximately a 1/2 inch larger than the G26 and is virtually just as easy to conceal, and has a higher mag capacity.
    The higher mag capacity was also another factor in deciding for the 19.

to have to worry about flippin, switchin, etc prior to firing.
    Ease of use and reliability were also big factors.

ONE other 9mm semiautomatic, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, that the OP could consider is the Sig P250 which seems to be getting excellent reviews...JMO
    I'll keep that in mind when it's time for the husband to make a purchase.

Now, start looking for some GOOD "professional" defensive handgun training...[/B]
    Most definitely :)
    First Sgt likes this.

Congrats on the Glock 19!

I use one as a range gun and for a home defense option. Great shooter and very reliable. The only reason I didn't choose it for CC is the size (I found it too big to conceal in our hot, humid climate). If I lived up north, I'd probably reconsider that choice.

Good luck with it!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    Congrats on the Glock 19!

I use one as a range gun and for a home defense option. Great shooter and very reliable. The only reason I didn't choose it for CC is the size (I found it too big to conceal in our hot, humid climate). If I lived up north, I'd probably reconsider that choice.

Good luck with it!
    Fortunately (I think!) we live in an area where it is cloudy, cool and rainy a lot. So concealing it shouldn't be a problem. In the summer if it's an issue, maybe I'll look at purchasing a "summer gun" that would be easy to conceal.

What did you choose for CC?

I CC a Sig Sauer P238 (.380 semi-auto) and a S & W 640 (.357 j-frame snubbie).

I'm looking to move up to a 9 mm semi-auto and have tried out a number of models but I'm not really sold on any of them yet. I've been shooting a Sig P938 (9 mm clone of the P238) but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it or try something else. It's had some reliability issues that may or may not resolve with more break-in time... so I'm not actually carrying it yet.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links