Help an older woman select a gun

This is a discussion on Help an older woman select a gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a 60 year old female who is interested in getting a new gun for concealed carry. I currently have an older S&W revolver, but ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help an older woman select a gun

Help an older woman select a gun

I'm a 60 year old female who is interested in getting a new gun for concealed carry.
    I currently have an older S&W revolver, but want something with a larger capacity
    and less bulky.

I've looked a little bit on line and Glock 19 and S&W MP seem to be highly regarded.

What I am looking for is:

9MM (unless there is a good reason to go with something else-however due to shoulder
    problems I don't want something with a lot of recoil).
    Easy to use
    Reliable
    Easy to conceal
    Decent mag capacity
    Cost of gun and cost of practice ammunition is also a factor

I've got big hands so something like a Glock 26 isn't going to work for me.

I'm also relatively new to the gun world, so any advice regarding not only type of gun
    but recommended accessories would be wonderful.

many thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would stick with the Glock 19 or S&W MP9c, those are two great choices. After that it you have to pick a holster and that will depend on your carry style.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you can work the slide action without difficulty then look into the 9mm. Ruger makes a really nice compact LC9 and a bigger model SR9C or an even bigger model, the SR9. These pistols are much less expensive than the ones you mentioned. I own the SR40 and am getting ready to get the SR9. My Ruger has been completely reliable, accurate, and easy to break down. I am about cost without sacrificing quality. Good luck with the search.
    jryan630 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would stick with the Glock 19 or S&W MP9c, those are two great choices. After that it you have to pick a holster and that will depend on your carry style.
    Thanks.....is one carry style recommended for females?

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    If you can work the slide action without difficulty then look into the 9mm. Ruger makes a really nice compact LC9 and a bigger model SR9C or an even bigger model, the SR9. These pistols are much less expensive than the ones you mentioned. I own the SR40 and am getting ready to get the SR9. My Ruger has been completely reliable, accurate, and easy to break down. I am about cost without sacrificing quality. Good luck with the search.
    Working the slide should be no problem....thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

Senior Moderator
    Check out limalife (aka limatunes) - YouTube our own Limatunes has great tips on carrying.

It really is personal preference and what feels comfortable to you. Since most women do not share my body shape (I lack curves) I try not to make recommendations. All I can do is recommend that you try different styles to find the one that is most comfortable
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I haven't shot the SR models, but did own the LC9 and would not recommend it. The trigger was really long, and not long like a double action you are used to. It make work for you, but it is a bit snappy as it is so small. I would agree with Prgrass on MnP or Glock. I do not do Glocks, but love my friends Mnp. I will get one, eventually.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock 19. You might consider looking at the Walther PPS. It's a highly accurate, very concelable single stack 9mm. You might be attracted to the different backstraps that allow you to adjust the grip. Product: PPS 9mm I love mine but it is somewhat expensive.

The M&P Shield is a relatively new entrant that seems popular but I have no experience with this gun. Product: Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD

Good luck!
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I also will recommend the Walther PPS.

I'm 6'0, 225lbs with large hands and the Glock 26 is my every day carry. With the Glock factory mags with finger extension, you can get your entire hand on the
    grip. Also increase your capacity from 10+1 to 12+1. I would recommend either the G26 or M&P9C which is almost the same size as the Glock 26.
    Regardless of what others say about adding the grip extension, the G26 is still easier to conceal than a Glock 19.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You have a solid base of info to start with. Your initial choices are good ones. Remember that the less weight the more perceived recoil. If you've shot either of your first choices, how did you like it? Don't make a decision based solely on internet advice. Shoot as many as you can first before you choose one to buy.

I seem to always come back to Glock and the 19 is one of the most carried guns in the concealed carry arena. If you're comfortable shooting it, it will serve you well.

As to holster, you're going to have a plethora of choices and you need to take into account your build, what your clothing choices usually are and what areas you're willing to compromise on. There are holsters that take into account a woman's shape differences in the waistline that offer different offsets to account for the shape difference.

Good luck and feel free to ask other questions to save yourself some of the heartache we all go through in the search for goodies.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Please take a few moments and read the following link : Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

It's written by a well known and respected female author for women and handguns.

Great info. for all shooters here. Good luck.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I'm 6'0, 225lbs with large hands and the Glock 26 is my every day carry. With the Glock factory mags with finger extension, you can get your entire hand on the
    grip. Also increase your capacity from 10+1 to 12+1. I would recommend either the G26 or M&P9C which is almost the same size as the Glock 26.
    Regardless of what others say about adding the grip extension, the G26 is still easier to conceal than a Glock 19.

I did try the glock 26 with the extension and didn't like it.....it just felt very awkward.
    But I definitely agree with you about the ease of concealment!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You have a solid base of info to start with. Your initial choices are good ones. Remember that the less weight the more perceived recoil. If you've shot either of your first choices, how did you like it? Don't make a decision based solely on internet advice. Shoot as many as you can first before you choose one to buy.
    I haven't had an opportunity to shoot either one. I was hoping to get recommendations and then borrow or rent suggested models to try out. I did handle both a glock 19 and an M&P at a gun store, and for some reason the M&P felt a little "top heavy" compared to the glock.(neither had a mag in it and I know that will even out the weight a little bit).
    Definitely I would not rely solely on the internet, was just hoping to get some suggestions to narrow down the field....so many to choose from.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or maybe rethink the revolver you already have.

My mom is 71, and last year decided to CC.
    We got her a S&W 642 which she trains with and shoots well.
    Best of luck with your decision.

Also the advice on checking out Limatunes and Cornered Cat is invaluable.
    Please take time to visit their websites.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links