M&P 9 Issues, Thoughts, Help (maybe)

M&P 9 Issues, Thoughts, Help (maybe)

This is a discussion on M&P 9 Issues, Thoughts, Help (maybe) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday I purchased a M&P 9 full size. Sunday, I went to the range with 100 rounds of Winchester white box and experienced an issue ...

Thread: M&P 9 Issues, Thoughts, Help (maybe)

Unhappy M&P 9 Issues, Thoughts, Help (maybe)

Saturday I purchased a M&P 9 full size. Sunday, I went to the range with 100 rounds of Winchester white box and experienced an issue with every mag. With 4-5 rounds left, the pistol would either not strip a round or a round would end up nose up stuck in the handgun. The previously fired round was ejected correctly. One of the mags has had the follower get stuck in the notch of the magazine body twice now. I left it stuck there currently.

So, aside from the accuracy and feel which I love, this is an issue with this firearm...It has yet to fire a single magazine loaded with 5, 10, or 17 rounds without issue.

I took it home Sunday evening, performed a deep clean, lubed it up according to the manual and took the magazines apart and scrubbed them down. Took it back to the range this evening with Independence and Blazer ammunition and it did the same thing again every magazine. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

On the flip side, I called S&W customer service and after 16 minutes on hold, they thought it was a bizarre problem as well. They did immediately start me with a case to return the handgun to them (waiting on the packing slip now).

So, I'm happy with how they've handled the issue so far and I'm fairly happy with the handgun, but I do need this issue fixed. Any ideas if there's something simple that someone has come across would be much appreciated..
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    See what they say (and remember to include ALL magazines which had the problem). If there is a problem with the gun or mags, they should find it and fix it. They seem to go good work and it doesn't take a long time usually.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Glad to hear they are working to resolve the issue for you. It is always dissappointing to lay down some serious coin to buy something and them to find it does not function correctly. I do not have a full sized M&P 9 myself, but a friend does and he is very happy with his. I do have a M&P Shield 9 that has been perfect.

I haven't heard too many negatives on the M&P line, so you may have a one in a million problem.

Best of luck. Let us know what they find.

Yeah, I figure every manufacturer has their random issues, so I'm not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Was hoping maybe someone else had seen something similar and had some ideas that could save me a turnaround. One can dream right? :)
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

New or used gun?

Sounds like mag springs might help... just a guess though.

Brand new. I'd hope the mag springs would be solid.

Yeah, no doubt. Never know though. Could be a bad batch of wire went through the spring bender makermabob.

Sponsored Links