Hello Darkside!

Hello Darkside!

This is a discussion on Hello Darkside! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well everyone, yesterday I picked up my first Glock! I purchased a new Glock 27 Gen 4 on Friday and was able to pick it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hello Darkside!

Cool Hello Darkside!

Well everyone, yesterday I picked up my first Glock! I purchased a new Glock 27 Gen 4 on Friday and was able to pick it up yesterday, Sunday. This gun is perfect for me. Coming from carrying a LCP daily, this gun is just big enough to be comfortable and concealable. Right now I'm using a Blackhawk OWB holster for carry, but my Foxx kydex holster should be in the mail in a few days and I can't wait to try it out.

I'm thinking about adding a set of night sights on it, but can't decide which ones to get. Ideas?

2012-10-29 16.05.53.jpg

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! Only been in this glock fan club for a few months but I sure do like em (after hating on em for a long time).

I'm going to put XS big dots on my G23.
    smolck and ron54 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Good choice but I don't know if the background is the best choice for a firearm.

Oh and I've also just purchased the Foxx kydex holster so we should have it about the same time.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Good choice but I don't know if the background is the best choice for a firearm.

Oh and I've also just purchased the Foxx kydex holster so we should have it about the same time.
    I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to say something about that! Don't worry, I was using the box to clean the gun on top of!

Also, I've been carrying the Hornady Critical Duty ammo, 175 gr I believe. Can anyone comment on this ammo as far as being good for defensive rounds?

I think you'll be happy with the G27. I carry the Gen 3 version daily and love it. The Critical Duty should do fine. I haven't shot it yet but I hear good reports from those that have. They say it has good penetration and consistent expansion.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Welcome to the club brother. The G27 is my daily carry. Let us know what sites you go with.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
    I think you'll be happy with the G27. I carry the Gen 3 version daily and love it. The Critical Duty should do fine. I haven't shot it yet but I hear good reports from those that have. They say it has good penetration and consistent expansion.
    I don't think that Hornady makes any ammo that isn't great. Let me know what you think of the recoil on the 27 vs the 26 that you previously shot.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    Welcome to the club brother. The G27 is my daily carry. Let us know what sites you go with.
    Mike
    I am leaning towards the set of green Meprolight night sights. I'll take my time on this and explore my options.

I don't think that Hornady makes any ammo that isn't great. Let me know what you think of the recoil on the 27 vs the 26 that you previously shot.
    Hopefully I'll have time to take it to the range soon and I will be sure to report back on the difference from the 26.

I went with the trijicon night sights on my 26, if you want photos I'll take some tomorrow and post them so you can see what they look like on the gun.

Hey there UND grad. You've done well with the G27. I predict a long and happy relationship.

Night sights? I would take some time on that decision. Personally, I feel most shooting under very low light conditions is a 'point-shoot' technique that can be mastered with some practice. What concerns me about night sights harkens back to a pitch black night about 40+ years ago when I was in the military and walking my sentry dog when he went on full alert. I sent the dog on attack and went prone with my .45 in hand. I couldn't hear any screams, so whatever was out there wasn't hostile or my dog would have nailed him ... what I did feel was some major fear that my position would be given away if I turned on my flashlight or there was a bad guy beside or behind me and they might see the luminous dial on my wrist watch.

Instead of night sights, I have been shooting a Heinie Slant Pro rear sight and a Dawson fiber optic front sight for precision shooting when there is enough light to be precise.

Just a thought and my humble experience as a scared, young trooper in the dark.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

I went with the trijicon night sights on my 26, if you want photos I'll take some tomorrow and post them so you can see what they look like on the gun.
    If you want, that would be great, or else I can just look around on the web. There has to be photos of them!

I have green Mepros on my Glock 23 and I'm very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Hey there UND grad. You've done well with the G27. I predict a long and happy relationship.

Night sights? I would take some time on that decision. Personally, I feel most shooting under very low light conditions is a 'point-shoot' technique that can be mastered with some practice. What concerns me about night sights harkens back to a pitch black night about 40+ years ago when I was in the military and walking my sentry dog when he went on full alert. I sent the dog on attack and went prone with my .45 in hand. I couldn't hear any screams, so whatever was out there wasn't hostile or my dog would have nailed him ... what I did feel was some major fear that my position would be given away if I turned on my flashlight or there was a bad guy beside or behind me and they might see the luminous dial on my wrist watch.

Instead of night sights, I have been shooting a Heinie Slant Pro rear sight and a Dawson fiber optic front sight for precision shooting when there is enough light to be precise.

Just a thought and my humble experience as a scared, young trooper in the dark.
    Now that I think of it more, fiber optic sights do make more sense. But like I said, it will be doing lots of research and taking my time before I purchase any sort of sights.

Re: Hello Darkside!

Welcome.....if your like me you will enjoy the dark side quite well......and tend to dwell there!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links