Crimson Trace Grips or Laserguard

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace Grips or Laserguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you guys have these on your carry guns? I was looking into them and want to know what you guys think of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Crimson Trace Grips or Laserguard

Crimson Trace Grips or Laserguard

Do any of you guys have these on your carry guns? I was looking into them and want to know what you guys think of them. Does it add to much bulk to the grip to feel comfortable?
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

I've tried Crimson Trace grips on an LCR and they didn't always engage. Not sure if my hands are just weird or something, but I had a correct hold and about 1/4 of the time it failed to work. That put me off of Crimson Trace products, but 99% of others seem happy with them, so I'm definately in the minority.

I have the CT grips on my Kimber. They work beautifully and add no bulk to the pistol. Just don't get to the point where you rely on them all the time. I turn them off when I'm practicing and only shoot with them on when I'm making the laser is zeroed. They're on when I carry, particularly at night.
    MrsHB likes this.

I have Crimson Trace LG-851 laser grips on my Glock 23 and love em. The rear activation switch clicks it on as soon as you squeeze the grip. Very very happy with mine. They do ever so slightly increase the size of the pistol grip on my Gen 4 Glock (does not bother me at all) - and you cannot use the backstraps when you install them.

Best price I could find was thru Optics Planet with a 10% off online coupon code - paid $209 shipped to my door.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Just curious, what firearm are you thinking about putting them on. I have CT on a 1911, I do not notice any difference in thickness or weight. They have always activated for me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I have the LaserMax on my Ruger LC9 and it works most of the time. Although it's not "touch or grip activated," it is very reliable....it's blinked out on me a few times while on the range. It came with the pistol when I purchased it.
    Soccerfly likes this.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Just curious, what firearm are you thinking about putting them on. I have CT on a 1911, I do not notice any difference in thickness or weight. They have always activated for me.
    Well on a 1911 you replace the grips but on my Glock 26 they go over the stock grips. So they add some extra width.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've got them (laser grips) on my 1911 and they work very well. I haven't tried them on a Glock but they appear to work similarly in that they are built into the grip for squeeze-activation with minimal added weight or bulk. They shouldn't interfere with holsters, either.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips on a Browning 9mm Hi-Power and a Model 60-1 S&W .38 Chiefs Special. They work great and I'm very happy with them. I rotate my EDC between the S&W 60-1 and a Glock 30 .45 ACP depending on the level of concealment I need.

If I were to put a laser on the G30, which I'm not contemplating at this time I think I would be more inclined to install a guide rod laser such as this one by LaserMax. LaserMax - Internal Laser Sights for Firearms

I have Truglo TFO sights on it now and I think I will call it good. Don't particularly care for the slight bulk of the laser sight on the grip of a Glock.

Just my thoughts, good luck!!

OP - You're going to get opinions all over the place on this. You really need to try them for yourself, as everyone's hands and tastes are different.

I have both Lasergrips and guards. The grips do not need a special holster - the guards do. The grips have the laser housing on the side, which can make the gun a bit bulkier to conceal (not much). I actually like the feeling of the grips on a Glock - fills out the hand more (to me).

I find that the grips have more positive activation with their button on the rear - or it could be that all my guards are on smallish guns.

I have had a few issues with my lasers (I have eight of them) but CT has always replaced any defective unit (mostly issues with the switch not working all the time).

Here's what I have: Grips - Glock 19, 30, Ruger LCR; Guards - Glock 26, Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP (x 3)

PM me with any questions - power down due to Sandy so I may not be able to reply for a while!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I've used the "Laserguard" (centerfire style) trigger guard mounted laser, and while I don't find the red laser to be very bright at all in a store front setting in normal light, I'm sure it works fine in low light, for which it is intended (I'm a green laser guy myself) I like how it mounts, and that it's pre-dialed in for you from the factory. I also like that many holster options are already available for these lasers.

I have a Kahr K9 with CT laser grips, and while they work with any standard holster, which is awesome, my only real complaints are that you have to squeeze the grip a little tighter to activate the laser, which isn't a big deal, but when your finger, for us righties, is in the indexed position along the slide, your finger blocks the laser, which defeats the purpose of using the laser to find your target, and then placing your finger on the trigger. If you're a lefty, it's even worse, because your thumb(s) block the laser when you grip the gun.
    Last complaints are about the high cost of these, the fact that they decide your choice of grip for you, and I find the models for polymer framed guns to be very bulky and not a comfy feel in the hand when on the gun.

Missus Whoppo and I both have CT Lasergrips on our Sig P238's and so far no complaints. They activate relaibly and hold zero just fine. I did have to mod the Hogue grips on mine to accommodate the activation button, but that was trivial and worked well.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I look at the purpose and ease of a laser and to me I want it on when I put my hand around the grip. I also don't want to have to get a holster modified to fit the gun. I use a few pair of crimson trace grips and like them.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Missus Whoppo and I both have CT Lasergrips on our Sig P238's and so far no complaints. They activate relaibly and hold zero just fine. I did have to mod the Hogue grips on mine to accommodate the activation button, but that was trivial and worked well.
    what you've shown there are centerfire lasers, or laserguards. Those work better, IMHO, than the "lasergrips" which place the laser above the webbing of your thumb/index finger atop the right side of the grip plates as shown below on a Kahr K9. The Lasergrips do tend to lose their alignment, or at theast that one on the Kahr does, and it is blocked when your finger is indexed along the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    what you've shown there are centerfire lasers, or laserguards. Those work better, IMHO, than the "lasergrips" which place the laser above the webbing of your thumb/index finger atop the right side of the grip plates as shown below on a Kahr K9. The Lasergrips do tend to lose their alignment, or at theast that one on the Kahr does, and it is blocked when your finger is indexed along the slide.

Yep...my bad for the mis-naming. All these work related tasks interfering with my ability to make accurate forum posts.. Sigh :)
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links