Encapsulated Tritium Night Sights

This is a discussion on Encapsulated Tritium Night Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a thread here addressing lasers here where encapsulated tritium sights were mentioned but not expanded on. Do you like/dislike, use/not use tritium sights? ...

There is a thread here addressing lasers here where encapsulated tritium sights were mentioned but not expanded on.

Do you like/dislike, use/not use tritium sights? Who makes the best tritium sights, in your opinion?

Trijicon

Far and away, the best tubes and lenses are Trijicon products. Plastic lenses used by some just do not have the sharpness, and clarity of the sapphire lense used by Trijicon.

Long life, good company.

Administrator

Tritium

Trijicon sights are what I\'m using on 2 pistolas now. A Combat Commander & A GLOCKER.
    They are quite bright. I think they are decently useful & worth the money on a defensive handgun.
    Note:
    ALWAYS check to find out exactly when your sights left the factory BEFORE you buy. The date of manufacture should be on the package.
    Tritium has a radioactive \"half life\" of 12 years which means that in 12 years they will be half as bright as when they were \"Brand New\" -
    So...Don\'t buy Tritium night sights that have been gathering dust on a dealer shelf for 6 years - and...don\'t buy them \"On Sale\" on Ebay without first E-mailing the seller to find out exactly when they were made. :(

DC Founder
    I have Meprolights on both of my Kimbers (from the factory) and like them very much. I too have heard that Trijicon are supposed to be the best but, personally, I have never seen a difference. I have it on my \"list\" to eventually get them on my other \"occasional carry\" guns but not a priority right now.

See that\'s the problem with getting old. I can\'t tell the difference between the Meprolights and the Trijicon. \'\'but to answer the original post tritium is where it is at accept no substitute

VIP Member
    I have a set of XS Sights Big Dots with tritium on my USPc. They work really well as fast-aquisition sights. I can see the tritium in the dark, so I\'m not guessing where my pistol is on the nightstand, even with my glasses off.

If it\'s so dark you can\'t see your sights, you probably can\'t properly ID your target, either. There\'s so many different illumination options these days that can solve that.

Every little bit helps though, so if it glows and you can see it, that\'s a good thing.

I never considered having them until I traded for a Beretta 92F with Trijicons installed. Wow! Not only do they make great nightsights, but they\'re good daytime sights as well. Dunno if I\'d pay to have them installed on another gun, but I\'d definately give it some thought now.

Chris

Administrator

True Words From Betty

\"If it\'s so dark you can\'t see your sights, you probably can\'t properly ID your target, either. There\'s so many different illumination options these days that can solve that.\"

VERY TRUE! The Tritium sights are great for low light & deep dusk though.

Trijicons on my P99 9m and haven\'t decided on my .40, but probaly Trij\'s as well. Easy to install and no problems so far.

Betty,
    I thought a long time about the XS Big or standard dot sights, I was a little worried about the dot covering too much of the target, although I generally don\'t shoot much beyond 10 yards. How do they do beyond 15 yards? I really like the setup and the fast acquisition potential.

VIP Member
    The Big Dots definitely aren\'t fantastic target sights, but they\'re great for fast acquisition combat shooting.

I have bad eyesight, and don\'t want to be helpless with my eyeballs off when I need to shoot. That big white dot works great.

I do most of my shooting from 10 yards also.

Hmm, I may have to give those a try then. (my eyesight is a \"tad\" off as well:))

Got Trijicon\'s on a Commander, Glock-22, and my pet Sig 220.

Mepro\'s seem a little brighter (just barely), but I liked what I read about the ruggedness of the Trijicons.

FWIW, if I\'m in a dark place, and see a silouhette and a muzzle-flash, followed by a sharp \"buzz\" by my ear, I ain\'t reaching for the flashlight first! (Just an example of too dark to see plain sights, but needing aimed fire)

Otherwise, yes, ID your target. No one wants to nail an innocent...

i have the night sites on my sw99 40 cal i recently bought an xd 9 sub and i will be getting the night sites on my xd this summer for sure...while on missouricarry they had a thread about night sites and you wouldnt believe how many people think they are worthless..to each their own i guess...

Trijicon tubes

It appears that XS has gone to Trijicon tubes, at least on some models. My first set of XS BD (for BHP) sights had plastic lense. Second set for different BHP had sapphire lense.

XS had several problems with failure on the S&W 296 using plastic lense.

Links