What do the instructors carry?

This is a discussion on What do the instructors carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Echo_Four Old enough to know that you clearly didn't understand what I was saying in my post. Thanks for reading though! (Tacticool- ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What do the instructors carry?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Old enough to know that you clearly didn't understand what I was saying in my post. Thanks for reading though!
    (Tacticool- that which internet gun dudes and mall ninjas everywhere seek to have because they believe that the mythical piece of equipment will put them on par with the guys they see on tv and try to convince themselves they could be if only they had joined the military or became a cop rather than working at McDonalds.)
    I knew what you were saying, I was just trying to figure out if you are a kid or a codger.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Our local LEO instructors carry .40 Glocks, but told me they'd prefer .357 revolvers while on-duty.

My Dad carried a 1911 when he was a LEO instructor.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Our local LEO instructors carry .40 Glocks, but told me they'd prefer .357 revolvers while on-duty.

My Dad carried a 1911 when he was a LEO instructor.
    I know quite a few Deputy Sheriffs that are old enough to have carried the .357's before their departments transitioned to semi-autos
    and now carry Glock 22's. Not one of them still wishes they carried a .357.....big, heavy, and low capacity.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I was just trying to figure out if you are a kid or a codger.
    codger..Codger..CODGER!!!!! I have you know I "resemble" that remark... Of course, MANY moons ago I were a kid before I grew up and turned into a ... cough cough ... CODGER...............
    JDE101 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I know quite a few Deputy Sheriffs that are old enough to have carried the .357's before their departments transitioned to semi-autos and now carry Glock 22's. Not one of them still wishes they carried a .357.....big, heavy, and low capacity.
    Interesting comparison...

Our guys told us that they felt the revolvers were more accurate and that they felt they wouldn't need to expend more than 6 shots in a gun fight. These were instructors though and they were VERY good shots. I bet the other LEO's would agree with your statement.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Glock, Glock and Glock !!

Last course I attended was a 1911 specific course. Brand names listed below.

1. Springfield

2. Kimber....................most of the problems with pistols came from this group.

3. Les Baer

3. Nighthawk Custom

4. Colt.

Anything else did not hold up through out the course. Many of the other pistols down right starting choking every round or just plain out broke. Parts broken where a range from barrel links, barrel link pins, triggers, ejectors and extractors. Seem to be right at the 500 round mark on the third day. Kimbers where a constant distraction from the course tempo.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I shoot with a couple instructors. One guy swears that the sun rises and sets with the XD series. The other runs a 229 SIG or a j frame. The XD guy has started a bit of a cult, as most of the shooters are kind of new to handguns, and follow his example. I catch flack from all hands for shooting a Glock or SIG. Glock geek/SIG snob combination, I guess. Around here, Glocks are for cops and Rambos, whereas SIGs are unknown to most. Whatever. Be your own dog.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I knew what you were saying, I was just trying to figure out if you are a kid or a codger.
    My bad, I thought you were thinking I was trying to use the term in a legit type way. Anyway, I'm not a kid, but hope I'm a little shy of the codger state. I'm in my late 30s.... getting closer to codger land but I hope not quite there yet.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Most experienced, sought-after instructors that I've met carry whatever handgun the majority of their class is carrying. If teaching a Sheriff Department that issues GLOCK 22s, the instructor will have a GLOCK in his (or her) holster. If the majority of the class carries 5-shot revolvers, the instructor will have a j-frame. My point is that instructors are like a lot of us, they have a gun safe (or two) full of handgun options. If they're being paid to teach people to become proficient with a specific handgun, wouldn't it make sense that they pick...the same handgun as their class? If there's no issued (preferred, majority) handgun, then they, again like us, will pick the one that seems like the most appropriate (or fun) for today.

Or the one that matches their sponsor's logo on their shirt.

But I've never seen an instructor carrying a Taurus or a Bersa.
    Yetiman likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Interesting comparison...

Our guys told us that they felt the revolvers were more accurate and that they felt they wouldn't need to expend more than 6 shots in a gun fight. These were instructors though and they were VERY good shots. I bet the other LEO's would agree with your statement.
    ask thes experts how they enjoyed carrying around that brick all day vs a Glock 22.....and again, how many Agencies carry a wheel gun for duty today? I guess most of American LEO's are mistaken, but your
    guys are the experts. PFFFTTTT.
    mano3 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Remember, for every "Expert" instructor out there, names that most of us know, there are 1,000 people that are just as experienced, have been on a two way range and can teach the same method. They are the guy's next too you at a range or in the gun store that smile at what their hearing between conversations. You can usually spot them by their footwear. LOL

If you are with a PD or Sherrifs dept you will be task with conducting the same safety and handling just like the new person in his first class. Most are finding that they do not know what the don't know. You too can be coached in every aspect of combative shooting, active shooter response etc. You will be scored, just as every student. It is seldom that PD'ers and so called "experienced" deputy's reach the highest percentile of my classes.

I teach with a Glock, M&P and sometimes a 1911.

Also, do not bring a SERPA holster too any of my courses.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

More accurate? Well, I guess at NRA Bullseye targets, they've got a point. But if they believe that a gunfight is gonna' to be decided by the difference in a 2" group vs. a 4" group at 25 yards, then I've got to announce that I believe them to be full of crap! I've got nothing, not one thing, against revolvers. But anytime folks spout about "not needing" more than X number of shots in a gunfight, I DO CHOOSE THEM to be my backup...in a gunfight! I want all the ammo we can GET!
    mano3 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Talking

Mine carried Glocks, not sure which one cause they all look alike to me..

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    My instructors carried their duty weapons or off-duty weapons. As a police firearms instructor when I am working I carry the issued Beretta 92FS. When off duty I carry one of several different handguns depending on how aI feel that particular day. Most of the time it is a six shot revolver from S&W or Colt. Sometimes it will be a Sig SP2340, Berreta 92F, or a Colt Series 70 MK IV Gov't Model. If I am feeling really old fashioned I carry a 5 1/2" Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag just for fun.

I am surprised there aren't more Sigs and HKs mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links