What do the instructors carry?

This is a discussion on What do the instructors carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that a lot of you had the opportunity to attend various Self Defense/Combat training courses of different varieties. Hope to be able to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What do the instructors carry?

What do the instructors carry?

I realize that a lot of you had the opportunity to attend various Self Defense/Combat training courses of different varieties. Hope to be able to do so soon myself. What type (make & caliber) do you find that instructors are carrying? Do they offer their experiences in concealed carry as well?

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Great question. Majority I've worked with carry glocks. A few carry xd's or other varieties like m&p's. I've seen a variety of 1911's as well. What was interesting was how they carried. Many carried appendix when not training.

I've seen a wide variation.

When I took an LFI-1 course a while back, Ayoob was carrying a Beretta 92 (!) nicely concealed in a Mitch Rosen rig.

Maybe it's the courses I've sought out, but more instructors carried 1911s than anything else - some in concealment holsters, some not. Other sidearms included Glocks, M+Ps, a Sig 226, and at least one J-frame snub.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Clint Smith carries a Les Baer.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Several of the instructors at Tactical Defense Institute carry Bowie Tactical Concepts M&Ps or Glocks. I also saw a couple 1911s and a wheelie. They were all carried open. The only instructor I saw carrying concealed had a PM9 in a pocket holster.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I can see why they carry 1911's. My Kimber has an amazing trigger. I wish my Glock had a trigger as nice....
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Most of the instructors I have come across have carried either a Glock or a 1911. There were a few other pistols represented as well, such M&P's, XD's etc.

VIP Member
    Striker fired pistols seem to be the choice of a lot of instructors, Glocks, XD, M&P's and so on.

Generally I have seen the method of carry as some sort of open carry or at least an IWB with no cover garment. Sometimes it also depends on who they are teaching. If teaching a military unit that is issued Beretta 92's many instructors would carry the same type pistol for ease of instruction. Same thing applied if I was working with a police department that issued SIG's I would carry and use a SIG for that class.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    It seems as if the Glock 19 is the go to "Tacticool" pistol so of course that's what many instructors are carrying (the good ones don't carry them to be tacticool, rather they became tacticool because that's what the dudes were carrying). Chris Costa is using sweet Nighthawk in 9mm. I'd love to get my paws on that gun.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

My instructor had an airweight j-frame and let each of us carry it (unloaded) for a while to see how we liked it. I bought an LCR as a result. Can't go wrong with a snubbie!
    Richard58 and RichB70 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    It seems as if the Glock 19 is the go to "Tacticool" pistol so of course that's what many instructors are carrying (the good ones don't carry them to be tacticool, rather they became tacticool because that's what the dudes were carrying). Chris Costa is using sweet Nighthawk in 9mm. I'd love to get my paws on that gun.
    Tacticool? How old are you?
    sixgun likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

My instructor carries a j-frame 38! When asked what is "The Best" self defense weapon he answered "an AR15! lol

The instructor my wife and I had for our CHL class almost 4 years ago carried a Glock. In a Blackhawk SERPA holster. Under a 5.11 Vest no less. And he was wearing 5.11 cargo pants. With a J-Frame Smith in a pocket holster on his weak side as a BUG. (And I don't think he worried about getting shot first because he wore a vest.)
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I can see why they carry 1911's. My Kimber has an amazing trigger. I wish my Glock had a trigger as nice....
    This made me chuckle. Reason being I have been on a 1911 kick until recently. I am so used to my Kimber's trigger, when I got out the ol' M&P and took it to the range, I did the old "muzzle down" flinch move before the trigger even got halfway to breaking! I felt like such a hoser. SA trigger are NICE! (of course the M&P holds more rounds at half the weight)
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Tacticool? How old are you?
    Old enough to know that you clearly didn't understand what I was saying in my post. Thanks for reading though!

(Tacticool- that which internet gun dudes and mall ninjas everywhere seek to have because they believe that the mythical piece of equipment will put them on par with the guys they see on tv and try to convince themselves they could be if only they had joined the military or became a cop rather than working at McDonalds.)
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links