So...are the H&K's really worth that much more?

This is a discussion on So...are the H&K's really worth that much more? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought the HK Usp .45 compact for my first pistol about 5 years ago. Loved the way it fit into my hand and it ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: So...are the H&K's really worth that much more?

I bought the HK Usp .45 compact for my first pistol about 5 years ago. Loved the way it fit into my hand and it was really comfortable to shoot. The magazine release is so much easier to use than my glocks or any other handgun I've tried so far. Yeah you are paying alot more but I think it's worth it if you are getting something to save your life. Just my opinion.

2. Remove Ads

I had a glock 26 and sold it. I also have sig and HKs. I've like them better because I like DA/SA guns with a decocker. Another reason that I prefer HK and sig is because if you decide to sell a gun for some reason then you can sell them for quite a bit more used.

Is it worth the money?

My money, probably not. Your money, go for it! It's a fantastic pistol!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well I've got the gun, in dry fire I have to say I'm pretty floored. It reminds me of a Para LDA, but a lot less crappy overall. Reset is very positive, a little longer than a Glock, but not by much. Trigger pull still has the long take up that you would have with a DAO trigger, but it's very light and zero drag. Believe it or not I may change out the trigger return spring to make the take up have a little more resistance, but once the slack is taken up, you'd be hard pressed to think of this as anything other than a nice, crisp single action trigger, but you have to get used to taking out the slack / pre-travel but I don't think it will be an issue at all.

Should have a firing report Sunday evening.
    This gun rocks. Just shot my best IDPA classifier to date and made Expert in SSP. That's shooting in 20-30 degree weather and having never shot the gun prior to this morning. Was it worth it be be 1st in division, 1st in the entire match and most accurate? Yeah. It was. Can't wait to see what I can do with the gun when I'm not freezing my rear end off.

So yeah, I just bested my CDP sharp shooter classifier scores shot with both my Nighthawk and my Les Baer TRS with a poly framed piece of over priced Euro-trash and I feel pretty good about it, and keep in mind that I shoot a 1911 better than all but one Glock I've shot, any XD, any Sig or any M&P.

Now granted this is not a stock gun, but then again I'm not shooting against many stock guns either...

As for the Walther PPQ, not really in the same class as it's striker fired while the HKs are hammer fired etc, but I'm picking up what RBid is putting down, at least with the PPQ, the other jibjab about the SEALS etc....yeah not even going to bother.

The PPQ is a fine piece and if I were going to go with a striker fired pistol these days, that's probably what I would select. But I still think there are some things that HK does better.

All in all "worth" is an individual choice, but to me and having owned multiple Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, an M&P, an XDM and a couple other odds and ends, I'm perfectly fine with the cost of an HK.

Ive heard hks are the best $600 pistol your gonna pay $800 for.
    yz9890, JD, C hawk Glock and 1 others like this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Ive heard hks are the best $600 pistol your gonna pay $800 for.

I like that.

I lurk WAY more than I post here....but I guess as an H&K owner I suppose I should sound off. At least since I lurk more than I post, I can claim that spend more time at the range than I do typing about what a cool and h@rd@ssed door-kicking snake-eating fire-breathing range commando I am. That's probably a good thing because my pistol skills need the work.

I picked up a USP compact in 9mm a couple weeks ago (SA/DA trigger). It's a used gun, built in 1997. There's more holster wear than anything else. As far as I can tell, the only parts that have been swapped are the new Meprolight nigh sights....but I may be wrong - I'm no gun plumber. So far I've feed it 300 rounds of 115 gr FMJ (mixed brands), 40 rounds of 124gr +P JHP, and 100 rounds of 148gr JHP. I am ashamed to admit that even my most determined efforts to deliberately limp-wrist the pistol resulted in incredibly boring reliability. Every single round fed, every single round ejected, and the slide locked back every time. The only variation I found was that the casings were ejected at a slightly different angle with the +P loads, so they bounced off the wall next to me and ended up hitting me in the neck.

I found that the reach for the DA trigger is looooooong....but very even weight, very smooth, and entirely predictable. The SA trigger isn't as nice as a first-rate 1911 trigger....but despite the fact that the reset is little bit longer, I find it to be very positive. I'd say that the trigger is pretty much on a par with a SIG trigger (but I don't own a SIG, so I'm basing this one the experience of firing a friend's 226). I find the position of the safety to "click" very easily for me - you can "wipe" it off, just like a 1911.

I bought the pistol as a mid-sized option. It's smaller than a true service pistol so that it can be concealed with the right clothing, but it still shoots a lot like a full-sized service pistol. I find that the mag extension on the 13 round mags is exaclty the right size for my hand, and I find the felt recoil to be very moderate for a mid-sized polymer framed pistol. In short, If I ever end up attending a gunfight I still want my AR-15 (along with an entire mechanized infantry platoon)....but I have absolutely no reason to think that I paid too much for it, or that there's a different mid-sized pistol that I'd rather have tucked into an IWB holster if I am placed into a defensive situation.

I bought my S&W M&P full size because I liked it more than any of the polymer framed pistols on the market at the time (about four years ago). I like my USP9C more than I like that M&P....which is saying something, because I think that M&P is a great piece of kit. I am hard-pressed to tell you why, but I'd rather have the H&K in my mitt if I ever have to choose one of those two pistols to use in earnest.

By the way, I also tried a H&K 45. Wow. It's expensive, if it was any more visibly German there would be a miniature Bratwurst in place of the thumb safety/decocker, it's the size of a beagle puppy, and it's uglier than a raccoon with an impacted wisdom tooth. It also shoots better than any .45 I've ever picked up. I can't point to why, but that big frame seemed to leave the felt recoil lying on the floor with the spent casings and let me get the front sight back on target faster than any other pistol I've ever tried. I'm positive that there's one in my future. I just have to figure out how to rationalize buying a pistol that's WAY too big for CC in anything less than a gorilla suit when I know full well that an AR is a better choice for my for home defence.
    JD likes this.

So wsquared, why not get an HK 45c? I have a USP 9c as well, and I find the 45 to be much easier to shoot. It's also so comfortable to carry I've made it my EDC. I carry it in a DeSantis Pro Stealth with a 10 rd. backup mag.

You're right, the HK DA pull is very long, but with the flexibility it offers, you can carry C&L if you choose.

Anyway, I share your enthusiasm for HKs. I guess for some of us, they really just feel right.

BTW, you're a funny guy (last paragraph of your post is hilarious). I keep telling people I know who see gun owners as angry extremists to check out the forums. We're a pretty jolly bunch if you ask me, as well as polite. I think that's how we'll win them over.

Cheers,

Gav

A couple reasons that I didn't buy the 45c, I guess:

#1. I bought the USP compact just based on the way it felt in my hand in the store. They had a used model there, and I felt comfortable with spending the "used" sticker priced based on what it felt like in my hand.

#2. I've never handled a HK45c....but it is bigger than the USP9c. It's 1/3 of an inch wider, and 1/2 and inch taller. Based on the way the full sized version felt, I could be talked into giving it a try though.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Correct, the 9mm will be easier for her to shoot, though it will be an adjustment as 9mm "flips", while 45 acp "pushes". As far as HK's go, well, if Glocks were Toyota's and XD's were Nissan's, HK's would be BMW's. Typically you will spend more for bells and whistles like DA/SA decockers and such, some manufacturers have specific trigger settings and finishes on the slide, so on and so forth. What matters the most is can you operate that weapon under stress. Dont be all hell bent on HK coz all the cool kidz have one, (notice the slang spelling, coz I am a cool kid) get what works for you.

I used to have an HK USP in .40 S&W. Like an idiot I sold it and have kicked myself ever since. It was one of the finest pistols I've ever owned or fired. I'll undoubtedly pick up another USP down the road, probably a 9mm.

On paper, the thickness of the 45c over the USPc is from the safety/decocking lever which is, as I like to say, "large and paddle-like." However, the overall feel of the gun is that it is much slimmer. Definitely try it if you get a chance.

Upshot is, (for the OP), lots of us are very much attached to our HKs, and not without good reason. But it's true; they are pricey. Arg.

Silver lining for us: regardless of what we carry/shoot, we have one of the greatest hobbies/lifestyles there is.

Gav

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    C As far as HK's go, well, if Glocks were Toyota's and XD's were Nissan's, HK's would be BMW's.
    Funny. I don't own a Glock, a Toyota, an XD, or a Nissan. I do own an HK and a BMW.

But don't despair and call me a wussified sissified limp-wristed pantywaist yuppy just yet. I also own a Ford-Focus-eating Jeep with ugly bumpers fabbed out of 3/16" steel plate (and lots of dents and scratches from spending time offroad), and a really ugly bottom-of-the-line 870 that is one of my favorite firearms simply because I've put so many rounds through it that the action is super-slick and I now trust it with my life when I'm in bear country.

To carry, Glock.

The perfect relation beetwen price and performance.

The HK have a first shoot in DA, accuracy is affected.
    The HK recoil more (barrel very upper of the grip).
    The HK have a grip only for big hands!!.

Glock, I said.

Quote Originally Posted by aerodino View Post
    To carry, Glock.

The perfect relation beetwen price and performance.

The HK have a first shoot in DA, accuracy is affected.
    The HK recoil more (barrel very upper of the grip).
    The HK have a grip only for big hands!!.

Glock, I said.
    I would respectfully disagree with you. Not that the Glock is not a good choice, just that the HK is also a good choice.

As far as a DA first shot goes: Many of the HK's have a manual safety in addition to a decocker, so they can be carried "cocked and locked" iwth a short and light SA trigger pull for the first round. Also, not being accurate with a DA first round is a training issue...not a pistol issue. If DA trigger pulls make guns inaccurate, then all revolvers must be inaccurate, right?

Recoil: I find that the recoil from the HK I own is very manageable. I have not measured the height of the bore axis from the grip and compared it to a Glock 19 (it's direct correlation in the glock line), but I can definitely state that I do not find it sharp at all. I will also say that the HK45 is the softest-shooting .45 pistol that I've ever tried (and I've tried more than just a dozen)

As far as grip size goes, some HK's (just like some glocks) have interchangeable backstraps to accomodate hands of different sizes. Having tried a number of Glocks and a number of HK's, I have to admit that I generally prefer the HK ergonomics. I don't complain about the Glock ergonomics like some folks love to, but I do prefer the HK method of doing things. Ergonomics in a pistol are very much a matter of personal preference.

The Glock may represent better value for the money to many people, and is certainly lower in price....but different people define value differently - mostly because they place different valuations on different aspects of a pistol's performance. For instance, I find that the HK USP compact is a much better value for me, because a Glock 19 doesn't fit into my hands nearly as well as the USP. I place a high value on how well a pistol fits my hand - and I also place a high value on the over-engineering and obession with the "little details" that H&K seems to do so much of.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links