Revisiting the DW Patriot...

This is a discussion on Revisiting the DW Patriot... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Almost exactly four years ago, I got a stainless steel Dan Wesson Patriot pistol. Initial shooting proved the pistol to be utterly reliable with ...

1951 - 2011

Hello. Almost exactly four years ago, I got a stainless steel Dan Wesson Patriot pistol. Initial shooting proved the pistol to be utterly reliable with any and all JHP ammo I tried, be they handloads or commercial. Likewise, the pistol gobbled up 200-gr. CSWC's, including some designs that can balk in more than a few 1911-pattern pistols.

The only problem that can be attributed to the pistol was that the MIM magazine release broke very early on. Dan Wesson promptly sent me another, but I choose a Brown for replacement.

Though a commercially produced pistol, the DW Patriot was "proofed." This means that each was tested for accuracy and had to shoot 5 shots into less than 1.5" @ 50' before they would leave the factory. Included with the Patriot was a laminated proof target.

Shown with the instruction manual is the proof target that accompanied my Patriot. The group is well under 1.5 inches.

The DW Patriot boasted a forged frame, fitted match barrel and bushing, and an external extractor. The latter is a topic of heated discussions, but this one worked fine and continues to do so. That said, I personally prefer the traditional internal type. I have not kept up with all of the DW 1911-type handguns, but it appears that they've pretty much gone to using internal extractors. Given my druthers, this Patriot would have one, too.

The barrel chamber is tight and is not tolerant of poorly loaded, out-of-spec ammunition. It has never malfunctioned with any factory load, but some slightly too long 200-gr. CSWC handloads did fail to chamber; that was my fault. With the same bullets, but loaded to 1.25", chambering and feeding is perfect.

Initial sighting in was easy and the sights remained stable, holding zero w/o fail.

Shooting from a rest with wrists sandbagged, I came close but never have shot a 15-yard group as small as the proof target. The Patriot grouped nicely in the beginning and continues to do so.(These groups were fired during the initial shooting of the gun 4 years ago.)

During the four years that I've owned and shot the Patriot, I would estimate about 4K rounds have been fired. Most have been 200-gr. CSWC handloads or standard pressure 230-gr. handloads and factory rounds.
    The pistol has held up nicely. Wear, really more like burnishing, is even on the frame and slide. There remains some lateral and vertical play between the slide and frame, but it is minimal. The barrel-to-slide fit remains solid and tight. The slide remains well-centered with no rub marks on either side at the lower front as can be seen on some pistols when this portion of the slide touches the inside of the dust cover during recoil.

I have made a few changes to my DW Patriot, but very few.

I replaced the FLGR with the conventional GI recoil spring guide and end cap.
    Grips were replaced, as was the plastic mainspring housing.
    I also replaced the front sight. The original was not pleasing to my eye in either shape or width. It was also a bit high, requiring that the rear adjustable sight be elevated more than I like. I replaced it with a lower one that is also a bit thinner.

In this picture, you can see the original front sight that came on my Patriot.

Here is my Patriot as it appears today.

I took the pistol to the range yesterday and fired a few groups with ammunition that has proven accurate for me in this pistol as well as others. Only handloads were used.

The first consisted of a 200-gr. Precision (coated) SWC loaded over 5.0-gr. Bullseye in mixed, fired cases, and ignited with a Winchester large pistol primer. From this gun, average velocity is 891 ft/sec with a standard deviation of 10 ft/sec. LOA is 1.25". (I usually get about 860 ft/sec with this load in most 5" guns.)

The second uses Remington's 230-gr. Golden Saber over 6.3-gr. Unique and ignited with the same primer. Average velocity is 870 ft/sec with a standard deviation of 14 ft/sec. LOA: 1.22".

This was my best group using the Precision 200-gr. CSWC, which was fired standing and with a two-hand hold at 15 yards.

Results with the 230-gr. Golden Saber handload were good (for me) and had almost exactly the same POI as the CSWC at 15 yards.

At 25-yards, I fired a group while seated and with my wrists braced and as with the previous two shown, it was done in slow-fire.

I fired two groups with the 200-gr. Precision bullet handload at 25 yards. The first group was poor and was my fault. I was thinking about a "Beltbuster with cheese" and not shooting. I managed to focus my thoughts to what I was doing and got a nice group with the Patriot. Obviously, the pistol has more than enough mechanical accuracy for most of us and can meet my own perceived needs easily.

Yesterday, I contacted Dan Wesson via CZ via email. My question was whether or not the external extractors for the Patriot were still available…even though I bought two extras shortly after I got the gun 4 years ago. So far, I have no answer and don't know if they are or not.

A few months ago, I decided to see if a new "Colt Competition" slide could be fitted to the DW Patriot frame w/o too many problems. Some fitting was definitely required, but the job was not difficult. A big surprise for me was that the DW bbl and bushing actually fit the new slide snugly! Using a blue marks-a-lot I checked lug engagement and things are fine! (These slides were sold a few years ago and could be found at CDNN as well as other places. The ejection port was not lowered. I had this one done by a gunsmith who then dropped the slide in the bluing vat.)

Here is the Colt Competition slide on the DW Patriot frame. The bbl and bushing are from the DW.

All of this is nice, but the question remained about not only function, but where the POI would be with regard to this slide's fixed sights.

I got lucky…real lucky! The fixed sights in this combination turned out to be perfect for me, both vertically and with windage. Usually, such is not the case for me.

I will shoot the DW Patriot with the factory slide/bbl that came with it, but it is nice to know that should I somehow break all three extractors and no more can be found, I'm not out of business with this gun; I'll just slap on the Colt slide.

Four thousand shots is not many to some shooters and three lifetime's worth for others, but so far the DW Patriot appears to be capable of holding the course. I am not a fan of stainless steel pistols, but will use this one for times when I'm likely to be sweating on the gun or in inclement weather. I could do without the forward slide serrations, but the gun works and has proven itself a shooter. For those concerned about possible galling, I have seen absolutely none. I believe that this problem was solved years ago.

This DW Patriot proved itself useful over the years. This "table doe" was popped with the pistol using a 200-gr. Hornady XTP loaded over 7.2-gr. Unique. Average velocity was 991 ft/sec.

In my opinion, DW built the guns nicely for production line pistols. The slide glides smoothly though not so "velvet smooth" as on a slide that has been fitted and lapped. The trigger pull has remained constant and breaks at between 4.5 and 5-lbs in my estimation. More importantly (to me), it breaks cleanly.

Would I buy one today if I could find one? That depends upon the price, the condition of the pistol, and whether or not Dan Wesson is still supplies the external extractor.

Best.

1943 - 2009
    It really makes my day when I log on and read another superb Camp range report.

Thanks, Stephen!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

A couple of years ago I bought a highly touted DW 1911. This one was the Point Man Dave Pruitt edition. It was obviously a well fitted, well finished pistol.

But my first range session with it the rear sight drifted sideways out of it's dovetail and nearly fell out. I found that the set screw holding it in place, wouldn't. Also, when I went to field strip it for cleaning, I found that I couldn't get the barrel bushing to release. I ended up going to a gunsmith and he had a devil of a time getting it apart. I soon traded it off, and the next 1911 I buy will be a basic, no frills version, just a solid dependable gun.

Excellent report. Several weeks ago I purchased a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. The fit/finish are excellent and I fully expect this weapon to exceed my expectations. Hope to take it out for a "walk" next weekend.

Assistant Administrator
    I'll echo Terry's comment
    It really makes my day when I log on and read another superb Camp range report.
    Always a pleasure Steve and thank you as ever.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Very nice report, and I have read where the CZ DW's no longer have any mim parts. I don't have one to verify that, but I have read it.
    Last edited by saltysquid; October 4th, 2006 at 11:13 PM.

1951 - 2011
    Hello and thanks.

Best.

VIP Member
    Excellent report sir!

I purchased (and still own) a DW PTE-EXP 10mm from DW's "direct program" prior to that company's acquisition by CZ. I interacted with then DW president Bob Serva in purchasing this gun. I understand that "PTE-EXP" stands for "Patriot Experimental. After several "oops" on the part of DW regarding the gun, I finally received it and fired some of Mike McNett's fantastic Double Tap Ammo in various loads from 135 to 180 grain JHPs.

I'm glad I purchased my 10mm and would love to add one of DW's bobtailed .45 ACPs and/or 10mm's.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Good review ... I've been seriously jonesing for a new Bobtail Commander in 10mm since I saw the first pics of them on the CZ site. :)

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    In my opinion, DW built the guns nicely for production line pistols. The slide glides smoothly though not so "velvet smooth" as on a slide that has been fitted and lapped. The trigger pull has remained constant and breaks at between 4.5 and 5-lbs in my estimation. More importantly (to me), it breaks cleanly.

Would I buy one today if I could find one? That depends upon the price, the condition of the pistol, and whether or not Dan Wesson is still supplies the external extractor.

Best.
    Nice report Steve. I am a big fan of DW 1911s. I bought two of mine directly from Bob Serva before he sold the company to CZ. I hear that he is still in charge of the DW division.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Good review ... I've been seriously jonesing for a new Bobtail Commander in 10mm since I saw the first pics of them on the CZ site. :)
    I have 3 DWs, a Patriot, a Razorback, and the 10mm Bobtail Commander. You'll love it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Lead Moderator
    Very nice. Looks like a great gun . Never thought of using a 1911 for whitetails, but seems to do the job nicely.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Gee, thanks Stephen. Now I want one! Great range report, and darn good shooting!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

WOW...

nice postola...nice shooting too!

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links