Why is the J frame superior to the Shield for pocket carry - Page 3

Why is the J frame superior to the Shield for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Why is the J frame superior to the Shield for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may have already responded to this thread once, but what the heck, I have more to say. First, a word about pocket carry. Pocket ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why is the J frame superior to the Shield for pocket carry

I may have already responded to this thread once, but what the heck, I have more to say. First, a word about pocket carry. Pocket carry is the ONLY way to have your hand on your firearm without raising suspicions or eyebrows. A couple of times a year, I drive across the country with my wife and our dogs. If I'm out at night walking the dogs, I feel much more comfortable with my hand in my pocket on the gun.

Second, so long as I am careful not to wear my ballet pants or luge suit, I don't find printing to be problem.

I hate when my ballet pants print n
    grouse likes this.

On a practical side, the height is the issue for me. That length, of height makes pocket carry for me uncomfortable. The j frame is ideal in size andwweight as I carry the 442. It is the easiest gun to carry.

Additionally, its just a cool gun. The revolver has a history and nostalgia. Not that any of that matters in an sd situation, but it will when you give.it to your kids or grandkids or great grandkids!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aceofspades View Post
    Hi all,

You may have seen some of my other posts regarding my search for a deep conceal pistol. During my research I found a lot people saying guns like the S&W Shield or the Walther PPS are difficult to pocket carry, and many steer people towards a J Frame for pocket carry, however, after seeing the following pictures on some other forums, I don't know why;

See 10th post: Dump my J-frame for a M&P Shield? - AR15.COM

M&P9 Shield vs M&P fs + M&Pc+ J-frame

In the rest of this post, please don't take anything I say to be smart ass or combative, I'm not incredibly well versed in the topic and I'm asking because I doubt I'll be able to put a gun at the shop in my pocket and walk around to compare the two, but I don't want to buy the Shield or similar auto based on these pictures and be missing something that will be obvious after I've bought the gun.

Now looking at those pictures, I cant see what about the shield makes it unbearably large to pocket carry vs the j frame which people say disappears the only part i can see that has a larger profile is the "corner" so to speak near the back of the slide as opposed to the rounded shape of the J Frame. Speaking strictly in terms of size compatibility (NOT reliability or ability to fire from a pocket or any other auto vs revolver point).

Thanks in advance.
    Ace
    I have both. J-frame carries much better. It is a rounded shape which is more natural than a rectangle with sharp corners. A J-frame is very thin except at the cylinder. An Airweight 642 is 6 ounces lighter and THAT is a big difference. The weight distribution of a J-frame is centered and it feels and rides more comfortable in my pocket. The Shield has most of its weight in the grip due to the ammo. It leans in my pocket despite the type of holster I use.

I pocket carry 90% of the time and have since 1970. Had all sorts of guns but so far to dat, a J-frame, Sig P938/238 and smaller, carry the best for me. Twice I have bought The Shield and twice could not get it to conceal well in my pants and I buy pants with pocket carry in mind. I have roomy pockets. I gave up on the Shield for pocket carry but may buy another this week because I am looking for a small 9mm for belt carry that is bigger than my Sig P938 but smaller than my HK P2000SK.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Had both sold the shield nice weapon just did not feel right to me ended up never carrying it. I will never be without a j-frame in my rotation to versatile a weapon not to own.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

J frames fig in the pocket, shields generally dont

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Each & every day I carry two Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special revolvers. Primary at 4 o'clock & BUG in pants pocket.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Never pocket carried a semiauto other than an LCP and currently carry a 642 in my pocket.

While the revolver is thicker on paper (if you measure the cylinder which is the max dimension, the entire rest of the gun is thin and small. It's general thinness and round shape make it pretty easy to pocket carry. If you had bigger pockets, I wouldn't imagine that a Shield would be hard to pocket carry either.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I tried pocket carrying my Shield; it just didn't work for me. I could not draw it easily. I'm not sure why. I like the Shield and still carry it either OWB or IWB, but when I pocket carry, it is an S&W 642.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

My wife carries an S&W 640 Centennial or a Pro Series S&W model 60. I find the cylinder shape to be much harder to conceal. My deep cover pocket BUG is a Sig P938 9mm in a leather pocket holster. If people see anything in my pocket, they think it is a cell phone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Zombie j-frame thread!

What the heck, I'll throw in my thoughts: if you hold a 642 next to a Shield, it's clear. The j-frame is very slightly thicker right at the middle of the cylinder, and thinner everywhere else. The rounded profile helps too, IMHO.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Zombie j-frame thread!

What the heck, I'll throw in my thoughts: if you hold a 642 next to a Shield, it's clear. The j-frame is very slightly thicker right at the middle of the cylinder, and thinner everywhere else. The rounded profile helps too, IMHO.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I'm pocket carrying a Shield right now, in a Remora holster, with no trouble whatsoever. That said, the Mrs is buying me half of either an LCR or a j-frame for an anniversary gift this month (I have to pony up some cash, too, but hey. I get a new gun and it was her idea.) I'm excited because having handled both at two LGS'es, I can tell you both the little revolvers flat out disappear in my pocket where the Shield fits but is noticeable if someone is looking.

I don't own a j-frame (yet). I do have a Taurus 85CHUL and an SP101 (also with a bobbed hammer). In jeans, I find the Shield carries as good as the little 85. But in lighter weight dress pants, the revolver definitely wins out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links