Woo hoo just got my first revolver! S&W 642.

This is a discussion on Woo hoo just got my first revolver! S&W 642. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh wait, doesn't everyone else take something they buy completely apart as soon as they get it home? I had to get rid of that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Woo hoo just got my first revolver! S&W 642.

Woo hoo just got my first revolver! S&W 642.

Oh wait, doesn't everyone else take something they buy completely apart as soon as they get it home?

I had to get rid of that pesky little internal lock.

Anyway I bought this used 642 from a member of this forum and picked it up today. I removed the internal lock, cleaned, oiled, and got it ready to blast away with. This is my first revolver and I'm liking it so far. I have a pocket holster and some 135 Grain +P Gold Dot's on the way for it as well as a set of Hogue Bantam Grips, which I don't really know why I purchased them as the factory grips are nice and soft.

These things sure have more parts than a glock...
    bmcgilvray and gottabkiddin like this.

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Yea boy good choice check out my avatar !!!

Nice! Likewise I suffer from a tendency to take things completely apart before I feel like I really own them... so far I've resisted with my 640 though. I don't have the motivation of the internal lock

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Anyway I bought this used 642 from a member of this forum and picked it up today. I removed the internal lock, cleaned, oiled, and got it ready to blast away with. This is my first revolver and I'm liking it so far. I have a pocket holster and some 135 Grain +P Gold Dot's on the way for it as well as a set of Hogue Bantam Grips, which I don't really know why I purchased them as the factory grips are nice and soft.

These things sure have more parts than a glock...
    Be careful of revolver fever! It may not be long before you start feeling the need to give that 642 a brother to keep it company.

Quote Originally Posted by HairyPotter View Post
    Nice! Likewise I suffer from a tendency to take things completely apart before I feel like I really own them... so far I've resisted with my 640 though. I don't have the motivation of the internal lock
    How did that work out with your HDTV???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Welcome to wheelguns. I am wearing a 642 as I write this.

Congrats! The 642 is a sweet little gun. I have one in my pocket as I sit here and type this! However, unlike you, I've never felt the urge to take everything I own apart before I feel like I own it. That goes for guns, trucks, and motorcycles.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Good choice Revolvers Rule.
    JoeGun likes this.

Great choice! my 442 is in my pocket right now. Goes everywhere with me. Enjoy it! The only advantage to different grips IMO would be if they cover the back trap of the grip. Other than that the stock ones have worked fine for me.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    Congrats on the new gun, I love revolvers, but mine has never had a paperclip in it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Never considered taking mine apart niether, if i did may not go back together not chancing it. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Congrats on the new gun, I love revolvers, but mine has never had a paperclip in it.
    The screw driver tips were a bonus as well!

It actually is pretty simple to take apart, I literally took everything apart that I could. The picture was done a little before I tore into the cylinder and sear.

I don't really see much of a reason to do anything to it again other than take the side plate off, use some gun scrubber, and then oil it.
    Last edited by Foo909; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

Senior Moderator
    On my revolvers I rarely remove the side plate, only maybe once a year for a good cleaning. I have found some pocket lint in one of my hollowpoints before
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Nice! Enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links